Home Theater/Game Room Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
At first it did but it never has shown the upfiring speakers. Once it rebooted then it showed it like a 5.1 config like I have. There are 3 boxes you have to check for dolby atmos. I'm not at home but I think one of them was under advanced setup under the properties tab for speakers. Also my AVR displays dolby atmos when it's working.

Yeah, my receiver says "Atmos" but youtube and MP3's only use the front L+R speakers.

My receiver can upmix stereo to all channels but with Atmos enabled in Windows 10 then the receiver loses this ability. Basically with Atmos enabled I'm still getting stereo as an Atmos signal.

Can you let me know if your Atmos is using all the channels for music?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I get music in all my atmos speakers. I use the groove music app to listen to music. Now not all albums upmix for me. Stuff that was recorded before early 2000's don't upmix and only use left and right speakers when I play them.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
help me plan out how many tv's i have to buy a for a new home and associated devices.

living room, either:
50-60in basic tv or
tv + pull down/motor'd projection screen

bedroom, eh old 32in is fine

basement/fitness room:
1. 24in tv w/ soundbar, connects to ps2, exclusively for DDR
2. 24in tv wallmounted for treadmill+elliptical area

House isn't bought yet, but they're all about the same, 3bedrooms/livingroom/family,basement room

house is either gonna be just built or newish, i'll ethernet every room with 3 or 4 cables, no idea on placement of router yet, guess that'll depend on cable/basement/utility room, i'll be using a linksys ac1900.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
As someone who is new to shopping for a speaker system, is there a general consensus on what to get? The house my wife and I bought has an entire unfinished basement that I am going to start this weekend. I have a general layout and know where the TV/ couches are going to go. The space will be used for movies and sports, essentially a man cave. If I want a surround sound experience what should I be shopping for? Does anyone have time to link me front speakers, rear speakers, center speaker, receiver and sub? Is that all I need? Should I be running a type of speaker wire before I Blueboard and plaster? Should I be installing speaker housings in the ceilings or framing out shelves in specific locations?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
What's the price range? What's the room dimensions? If you know exactly were everything is going to be run the wires now it's so much easier. I would recommend dolby atmos because it really is pretty badass for surround.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I have that setup right now and it sounds amazing. Pretty much same room dimensions as yours. If the room has vaulted ceilings you will lose a little bit of the atmos effect. You will need a av unit that has at least 9 channels to run a 5.1.4 setup. use this as a baseline Amazon.com: Pioneer Elite SC-97 9.2 Channel Networked Class D3 AV Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth, Wi-Fi & Dolby Atmos: Electronics maybe look for some that are a little newer. Don't buy the pioneer sub it sucks. I returned mine. Check jtr or svs for one of their subs.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Check out some newer avr stuff because if you buy an hdr tv you need hdr pass through stuff like that. Don't rush into buying anything because you might fuck it up. take a couple of weeks and do some research. Check out avs forums and see what people are talking about. pick a tv first, then the speakers, and last the av system that matches both of what you want. check the pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo websites to get a feel for what's out there right now. Just remember you need a 9 channel receiver for atmos.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, I don't have the time for all that. I just want to tell bro's on FoH what I'm going to do in the room and for them to say "get this". I know I don't know a lot about this stuff. I'm going to watch NFL games, blu-rays and my kodi firestick.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Personally I have really become a fan of the Yamaha recievers and one of the Aventage ones would probably suit you well. Just get one that does the 5.1.4/9.2 set up. I also recommend the SVS subs. That is likely what I am going to upgrade too. I think with those two brands you cannot go wrong. Just spend as much as you feel comfortable with and you should be fine. If you have to budget, always spend more on the speakers. Receivers are easily upgraded for new tech but quality speakers will last decades.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Chanur Chanur with your receiver and sub recommendation, as well as the speaker set I linked, you think I'm doing alright? Wasting money?

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I don't have any experience with the Pioneer Elite speaker sets, but their elite stuff is usually pretty high quality. I cannot really say whether its a waste or not for those in particular but 1700 for a home speaker set is not unreasonable. My Klipsch set is around the same.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Also, the SVS SB2000 12" 500 Watt sub?
Should be fine but I'm not a sub expert. With SVS in pretty sure you can call them and give them your room dimensions and they will make suggestions even.

That being said that's the sub I was looking at personally and it's a great sub. Plus if you feel like it's not enough you can add another.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great advice in here so far. SVS Subs and Yamaha receivers. I have always used Denon myself, but high end Yamahas have a great rep too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user