Homeland

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the Hillary parallel only stems from the fact she has a vagina. Kean is not even close to hillary whatsoever politically.

Dar is closer to hillary than kean is

I agree, that's why I call her fantasyland hillary. She's fairly close to what the hollywood pumkins had themselves convinced hillary was, at least the first 3/4 season.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
I agree, that's why I call her fantasyland hillary. She's fairly close to what the hollywood pumkins had themselves convinced hillary was, at least the first 3/4 season.

if by fantasyland hillary you mean, absolutely nothing like hillary...

you are trying to force a kean-hillary parallel just because she has a vagina

thats sexist dawg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
if by fantasyland hillary you mean, absolutely nothing like hillary...

you are trying to force a kean-hillary parallel just because she has a vagina

thats sexist dawg

You thinking it's sexist makes you sexist.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
They obviously changed everything. I promise you a hard assassination wasn't ever in the original plan. It was all going to be subterfuge by Dar, connecting the pres elect with carrie/terrorists in order to get her to step down (which would obviously fail because she was fantasyland hillary). I have a feeling that pretty much everything post van blowing up was re-written.

You're probably right but isn't this how they always wrote each season (changed it on the fly)? The writers have said that in the past, Brody was supposed to die after S2 and Quinn was supposed to die after S5 but they switch it up as the season goes on. The way they handled Quinn this season it probably would of been better if they did just kill him off last season.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You're probably right but isn't this how they always wrote each season (changed it on the fly)? The writers have said that in the past, Brody was supposed to die after S2 and Quinn was supposed to die after S5 but they switch it up as the season goes on. The way they handled Quinn this season it probably would of been better if they did just kill him off last season.

Sure but in those cases it was probably because they picked up more seasons.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When exactly did writing / filming end for this? Specifically episode 12? Anyone know where to find this information?

It just feels like they re-shot the final after the Trump win, to switch her from their fantasy of a perfect Hillary to their nightmare of Trump The 180 was incredibly heavy handed and didn't match at all with her character for the first 7/8s of the season.

They're now set up to make the next season 100% anti Trump (their flawed vision of Trump) propaganda.
I know they had to re schedule the Quinn (brooklyn) shoots cuz he actually busted his leg.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Finally finished watching this. I really don't understand why anyone would think Keane was supposed to be a proxy for Clinton when, what was shown of her beliefs, was very much unlike Clinton. Clinton's a hawk who would gladly snuggle up with the intelligence community and start some wars. And that difference is something that was apparent since episode one of the show, so it's not a rewrite issue. I hate agreeing with Tyen on anything, but if Keane wasn't a woman, I doubt anyone would draw a comparison to Clinton in any form.

Maybe if you said she was an idealized democrat, I could buy that, but even then there was barely any development of her political ideology outside of her stances toward the military and intelligence services.

That said, I too agree her behavior at the end was heavy-handed, but in terms of character development, I thought it was at least partly justified. She knew people in the intelligence service were involved in smearing her son and in her assassination (as well as the isolation earlier in the season). She puffed up as a strong person but when she was actually in mortal danger, the fear was very visible in her demeanor (good job by Marvel). I think it broke her in some way, made her unable to trust anyone outside of her close circle. It's not that unheard of -- leaders who survive assassination attempts tend to take a harder line and insulate themselves, understandably.

I do worry about next season, though. I think Homeland suffers when it tries to go for bigger and bigger storylines, ala 24. It forces the characters into ever more unbelievable situations. But, with the way they ended things, how could the focus be on anything but getting rid of Keane?

It's too bad they never recaptured what they had in that first season. There have been hints of it here and there (the first halves of S2, S4, and S5 were fairly strong, imo), but it always kind of sputters and lurches toward the end. This is a show that really does not end its seasons well, for the most part.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Also, can Franny please get killed soon? Really feels like Carrie's character is handicapped by having Franny in her life.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I agree. I'd love to see them get rid of some of the family stuff. Let Franny live peacefully or some shit in the background and let's get back to the pure Carrie & Saul spy-drama. Next year is gonna be interesting, seems risky.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I agree. I'd love to see them get rid of some of the family stuff. Let Franny live peacefully or some shit in the background and let's get back to the pure Carrie & Saul spy-drama. Next year is gonna be interesting, seems risky.
actually no, she's a high valued former spy, with known psychiactric disorder that when the country needs her to...

Carrie don't take these drugs that make you sane, but make you dumb, we need you to be smart, we'll just leave you alone, so we can figure out this plot that only you can solve.

She's a danger to her kid, hell the kid is a security risk, Franny is practically half Muslim and Terrorist since she's Brodys spawn as well.

Nope, just take away that kid.

Xevy

Log Wizard
She should've finished the bathtub job back in season 3 or 4.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
New trailer for the upcoming season, surprisingly dropped today. Season premiere is February 11th.

Love this show, but holy shit this looks like it could be really off-the-rails bad. I can only hope they realize how awful this direction is, and put together a good old-school season 8 as a final season.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
New trailer for the upcoming season, surprisingly dropped today. Season premiere is February 11th.

Love this show, but holy shit this looks like it could be really off-the-rails bad. I can only hope they realize how awful this direction is, and put together a good old-school season 8 as a final season.

at least they didn't show her pretending to be a mother

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It has always sort of seemed like they're trying to shoehorn in the "effect on the family" aspect of being a CIA agent. There's a reason the CIA tends to avoid people who want to have a family and encourages agents to marry each other. There's really no way to be a CIA agent and have a significant home life.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It has always sort of seemed like they're trying to shoehorn in the "effect on the family" aspect of being a CIA agent. There's a reason the CIA tends to avoid people who want to have a family and encourages agents to marry each other. There's really no way to be a CIA agent and have a significant home life.

This is what I kinda dislike about The Americans.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't agree about the Americans. I mean, if you want to watch a spy thriller, then maybe The Americans isn't for you, but the family stuff is not shoehorned into that show, it's 100% central to the story. In Homeland it's mostly a distraction. The Russian Illegals were nothing like CIA agents. They were 100% integrated in American society, living undercover for decades in some cases just like it's portrayed in the show.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

I love the show, so I'm pretty sure I'll love this season as well.

The only season I didn't really like was when they swapped to a shakey cam kind of action. I fucking despise shakey cam.

DickTrickle

I watch this show and feel like it's had so many ups and downs in quality since about midway through the second season. It's enough to make me want to quit and enough to keep me coming back.

I'm curious how they're going to make the Alex Jones guy central to the story. Is he going to be militia man now when he was a government lackey before? I really didn't care for the hard villain turn the President took last season so I hope they give that side of her some nuance.

Totally agree that Carrie's child has always seemed like an awkward fitting distraction that never really served the story well.