Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I've thought about one but never tried it. I hate sharpening chainsaws. I've also wondered about the $55 Grizzly version.
Apparently there’s still a learning curve to the machine. I’m ok with that though. I may wait till I get my shed in 3 months to grab one but I’ll report back on what I find.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Now with the top and tilt installed this bad boy is ready to grade. I got a land pride bb2560 that’s been sitting here 2 months.

Allegedly there’s quite a bit of a learning curve to a box blade. Watched a few YouTube vids. My driveway is a bit fugged. It’s all dirt on maybe a 7-10% decline so the summer rains washed away the nice grade I had some guys do while they were here last spring.

We had some heavy rain forecasted 2 weeks ago and in my concern of erosion I grabbed mulch from my never ending pile and spread it on driveway. Did a shit job. Probably a terrible first thing to try box blading butttt not sure what else to practice on for now. 🤷‍♂️

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Let the chickens out to free range yesterday morning and a red shoulder hawk strafed them by a few feet I’m assuming looking for an opportune one to attack.. I’d like to think my leghorn rooster maybe helped prevent that but he was probably 20-30 ft away from the ones that got swooped. They all did seem to go on high alert and it took about 2 minutes but the majority ran back inside the coop/run with the exception of my retarded silkie rooster..

I knew I had a pretty extreme red shoulder hawk population as my place is mostly forest but I think they were mostly gone since last summer.

This really puts a dent in my plans to put a 6 ft fence with electric around a large area of their coop so I can just let them free range daily without worry..

Have any of you had any success with anti hawk measures? It’s looking like I’ll need to use hawk netting over the area which sucks because I wanted to put some trees in the same area.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Obviously different environments but we have lots of hawks here and I've never seen one even attempt to kill a chicken.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, different environment here, too, but I have lots of hawks. There's one that even sits on top of the chicken house, but no hawk has ever gone for one of the chickens. Has a good look at them, but never goes for them.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of fruit trees, I took the shortcut from Boca to Tampa this weekend and drove across 60 through Lake Wales and Bartow. Got to see all the orange groves that you used to see off of the Turnpike before they all got turned into houses and condos. The area along 60 doesn't look like it's changed in 40 years.

I use to live in Avon Park/Sebring. That whole area is a throwback but unfortunately population pressures will get them too. I've taken most of the back roads in all of south and central Florida. Its fun to see the small roadside attractions still going that use to be the mainstay of FL tourism.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have bald eagles and red tailed hawks no issue with chickens, but I also don't have any trees near their run and the run is attached to barn and the birds of prey don't ever come that close to dwelling. You could maybe try one of those predator balloons

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This morning I was reading this thread and thinking, ya know, its been a while since we've had a hawk kill. Maybe I was blaming them unfairly.

This afternoon I pulled into my driveway and there directly in front of my parking spot, a red tailed hawk was eating my daughters favorite chicken on our front yard. While two others sat on the fence posts and watched.

Fuckin hawks man. I wish I was a better shot.

• 1WTF

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This morning I was reading this thread and thinking, ya know, its been a while since we've had a hawk kill. Maybe I was blaming them unfairly.

This afternoon I pulled into my driveway and there directly in front of my parking spot, a red tailed hawk was eating my daughters favorite chicken on our front yard. While two others sat on the fence posts and watched.

Do you trust your kids and wife to not let it slip in a place where someone overhearing it could report you?

$15,000 fine and up to 6 months in jail:
2024-01-08 19.08.29 birdfact.com 035be0a61790.png

2024-01-08 19.06.12 wpde.com e04f42379a13.png

2024-01-08 19.05.58 wpde.com 82aa9d55fcd8.png

• 1Worf

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whats the fine for missing a shot on private property with no witnesses? Asking for a friend
You were obviously trying to kill one. Now, you wont get caught, as long as no one says shit, but if you don't know it's illegal with a heavy fine, you may be more likely to say something to someone that may report you.

Fish and Game wardens are a sneaky bunch, and kids cant keep a secret for shit, so it's best to get rid of them too, just to be sure! Hell, women aren't know for keeping their mouth shut, so you know what you have to do there too...

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Well shit I was reading the replies thinking maybe the hawk just swooped down for a look. He didn’t lunge at any but he swooped at most 8 ft overhead of them and then sat in a tree eyeing them. I haven’t had issues with them before and there’s tons of them always sitting around. I can walk outside at any given time and point to one.

then I see this post.. Ya def can’t touch the raptors.. I’m gonna be pissed if a hawk gets one. I need to do some research on anti hawk measures and report back

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
SS and S

Shoot, Shovel, and most importantly Shut up

Very hard nowdays. Not only everyone and ever place has cameras a lot of wildlife have trackers on them. I worked on the Eastern Wild Turkey reintroduction to East, TX and we had a few turkeys that were tracked and a couple went missing.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Finally got it back Friday evening. Dealer did a great job. You can’t see the valves I was complaining about rust but they just put black paint on them so looks clean. Even had the side step fixed. Pardon any weird spots in images, had to edit out a few stickers for PII purpose.

The rear plate with three coupler attachments. I did two float valves and one regular SCV. Not the best angle but you can see the top and tilt cylinders and two hoses running to them.

View attachment 506641

So right now the top and the tilt are on float. From my reading most people don’t float the tilt but for contour grading it can be helpful and that’s exactly my reasoning for it.

Again excuse the poor angle but this is the three rear remotes along with the regular stock 3 point lever.

View attachment 506643

I don’t really have any use right now for the third remote. I could use it for say a BB with hydraulic scarifiers but those things were just too expensive for my taste. I mainly got the third and put it on a regular scv because it would be cheaper to just add it now while I’m adding the two versus sometime in the future and the part cost delta was acceptable.

Iirc you have the MX, I think the grand L and everything bigger come with some form of rear remotes stock so dunno how exciting this is for you.
So something is fucked up with my tnt. You can kinda see it on the first pic but it seems like that tilt cylinder is too long so I can’t ever get it level - it’s always tilted right somewhat.

Super frustrating after paying like $4800 for this shit. Some preliminary research says that the dealer probably should have moved the adjustable side link the cylinder was replacing over to the left side.

so I think if that adjustable side link is longer than the fixed side link I can install it on the left side and get it level. Gonna try tomorrow.. What a PITA.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So something is fucked up with my tnt. You can kinda see it on the first pic but it seems like that tilt cylinder is too long so I can’t ever get it level - it’s always tilted right somewhat.

Super frustrating after paying like $4800 for this shit. Some preliminary research says that the dealer probably should have moved the adjustable side link the cylinder was replacing over to the left side.

so I think if that adjustable side link is longer than the fixed side link I can install it on the left side and get it level. Gonna try tomorrow.. What a PITA.
Did he use the proper sized cylinder?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Did he use the proper sized cylinder?
Well, in theory yes, he used the cylinder that came with the Kubota tnt kit for my tractor.

Did some research this morning. My findings thus far are 1. Kubota allegedly recommends swapping the adjustable link to the left side so you can adjust tilt more when installing tilt cylinder. This theory hinges on the total extended length of the adjustable link being longer than the fixed one, which would allow it to tilt left more. Haven’t measured it yet today. 2. There may be a history of Kubota just not sizing these cylinders right for specific tractors since they use the same cylinder across multiple tractors. The latter I haven’t done enough research on. I’d be a bit surprised if the cylinder that came with the kit was the wrong size. Unfortunately I can’t even find the install instructions for the Kubota L8372 online to verify they recommend swapping the adjustable link to other side. I got that info watching YouTube vid of a guy installing a Kubota tnt on a grand L and he reads it from manual. Along with multiple tractor folks across brands recommending to do that on various tractor forums.

Last edited: