House of the Dragon

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Are you thinking the one used to attempt to kill Bran?

that was Petyr Baelish's. who lied to Caitlyn saying belonged to Tyrion Lannister.

so this show is actually decent? lots of youtubers are pretty ok on it.
no, i thought people suspected Joeffrey had the blade intended to kill Bran, but he has other blades, not the Baelish blade.
Pretty much everyone had a Valyrian steel something, that's why the Lannisters were so pissed that they didn't have one and melted down the Stark one because some crazy uncle lost there's exploring the ruins of Valyria.
no, not everyone, only the important Houses. which is why Lannisters were salty about losing their one Val steel sword. pretty much how if you were a good player in EQ back in the day you had J Boots or Cloak of Flames or a Manastone or Box of Al Kabor or rez stick from Vox or Pegasus Feather cloak or Guise of Deceiver, etc

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

its like the worst of GoT, which is still decent for core fans of the GoT series.

Serviceable to people who are interested in it-- which happens to be a lot of people. its not good TV overall, although Episode 3 had better performance from it's main character the King.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Are you thinking the one used to attempt to kill Bran?

that was Petyr Baelish's. who lied to Caitlyn saying belonged to Tyrion Lannister.

No, it's been boring so far. Nothing close to GOT level of compelling.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think my biggest issue with the whole 'GoT' world at this point is that despite it being ostensibly fantasy we spend essentially the entire time doing nothing but Real Wives of Westeros who-has-beef-with-whom drama and precious little on anything actually fantastical.

We don't know why Valyira was doomed. We don't know the finer details of the Children of the Forest making the undead in the first place. We don't have any magic or magical creatures other than Dragons and those have been reduced to a minor inconvenience. (Seriously -- how is the Crabfeeder any actual threat when he can be BBQ'd should he leave his caves? Yeah they can hide there effectively, but they can't exactly disrupt shipping lanes or demand tolls from within the caves themselves so why not just nuke them anytime they leave and otherwise ignore the fucker?)
It worked for GoT, or at least, for the books, because it was more a political intrigue story with a very distant fantasy element attached. Just a retelling of the War of the Roses with some extra fluff.

Now that the fantasy is out of the bag though, they seem to have pitched a dozen shows that are just the first book or two and acting like none of the other shit would be interesting.

It's a completely wasted world.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think my biggest issue with the whole 'GoT' world at this point is that despite it being ostensibly fantasy we spend essentially the entire time doing nothing but Real Wives of Westeros who-has-beef-with-whom drama and precious little on anything actually fantastical.
I don't see how this could come as a surprise if you watched game of thrones. I mean it's right in the name. The only reason we got distracted from politics is because a giant zombie army showed up for some reason.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It worked for GoT, or at least, for the books, because it was more a political intrigue story with a very distant fantasy element attached. Just a retelling of the War of the Roses with some extra fluff.

Now that the fantasy is out of the bag though, they seem to have pitched a dozen shows that are just the first book or two and acting like none of the other shit would be interesting.

It's a completely wasted world.

Exactly. We've already done 'royal political intrigue' quite thoroughly with the original series and even that took time to explore the world with the Khaleesi world tour of the Free Cities, white walker mysticism, dragon rearing and various other bits of fantastical lore. The original series already did petulant tyrants, salty badass crones, incestuous love affairs and the like. Matt Smith can only gnaw on the scenery for so long....

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked the first three episodes.

Feels a lot tighter than the original series, which I often thought meandered too much.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1WTF
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
House Velaryon could have been better introduced. The "Do you know who I am" scene in the pilot episode didn't cut it for me.

• 1Like

Caliane

hbo put episode 1 on youtube

Watching this now. I know its a fantasy world.. but I'm triggered by the butchering of jousting tournament rules and etiquette. Tripping a horse would be against the rules. disqualify you, and possibly get you de-knighted.
Also, the fight to the death brawl. what? why the fuck would rich nobles send their kids and heirs into a death brawl? This entire episode is all about the importance of a HEIR. Also, C-sections have been around since like 500BC at least. not nearly as dangerous as this suggests.

who the fuck would take a ball and chain into a 1v1 duel?

So, in death, Targs are not immune to fire?

Whats the budget on this? its really shitting on the Amazon productions. wheel of time. This show at least looks good. lived in. lots of detail. like this scene with the king doing the cityscape model. great lighting, etc.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Oh yeah? How many women survived back then?

Almost 0, it was only done to save the child like shown in the show. Hell in the mid/late 1800's the mortality rate was 85% in Europe. Around the same time it was noticed it was being done in Africa a lot by the locals and seemed to have been for a long time. Its impossible to know the exact mortality rate for them or when it was done in antiquity but its likely it was high (there are no surviving records from Classical Roman Times that said a single woman survived for example). Asepsis not being followed really at all would have been the main reason for death even if the woman survived the blood loss and blood transfusion not being a thing.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Whats the budget on this? its really shitting on the Amazon productions. wheel of time.

The most someone can say about this show is taking the lowest bar and rave about how it's killing it man!!!!! Hell yeah WoT who?!! House of the fucking Dragon baby.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Found a gif of Daemon running across the beach killing dudes.

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-run.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
  • 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

1662581536362.png

They checked Episode 2 out, gave it a chance-- no hook.

Try better casting next time HBO. Oh and get some character-building and writing for Hightower and Velaryon.

I don't give a fuck if the show is a character study of the Targ throne/king or not. You know damn well people wanted a GoT-like experience. Deliver it. Establish those guys on the King's council.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 432125

They checked Episode 2 out, gave it a chance-- no hook.

Try better casting next time HBO. Oh and get some character-building and writing for Hightower and Velaryon.

I don't give a fuck if the show is a character study of the Targ throne/king or not. You know damn well people wanted a GoT-like experience. Deliver it. Establish those guys on the King's council.
Right, exactly, same thing I said. Shows need characters that hook you instantly. From 15 minutes into the first episode you need to give a shit what happens to these characters.

All the best shows had that.

BB, The Wire, GoT, BSG, Mad Men, Firefly, Sopranos, West Wing, Deadwood, Justified, House, Lost, Dexter, X-Files, even Sex and the City.

All of these shows start off with incredibly strong characters established very quickly into the first episode.

• 4Like