Indiana...Religious Freedom eh? *sigh*

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No that's faith in assuming a book that a bunch of dudes wrote by committee is the word of god. Religion is the dogmatic social construct. You can be a person of faith without religion. And often quite the opposite is true... many religious people have little faith, they just pay money on the off chance, kinda like the lottery.

Correct, sometimes I don't present things very clearly. Was trying to respond to him in the context he was using the word since most people interchange religion, faith, and spirituality with even thinking about it.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
I see your angles, but couldn't one say that the centroid of the dogmatic social construct (religion) is the assumption that a book a bunch of dudes wrote by committee is the word of god?

Maybe devout is the more distinct term here? Semantics anyway, I suppose...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well it's all shades of grey but there is nothing good that comes out of a social construct built upon duping people and taking their money, occasionally turning them into dangerous zealots. Any positive effect can be had by an organization that doesn't also try and take advantage of people by having them abandon reason and rationality.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
God is unchanging, why should His word need to change?

These are the sorts of tough questions I had to ask myself, to ensure I was being intellectually honest when considering where I stood on religion, so don't think I'm hammering you with them trying to be unfair to you.

I think all followers of the various forms of particularly the Abrahamist religious beliefs need to think really long and hard on the Problem of Evil, to see if they can reach an intellectually honest answer to the question.

While not the only reason I am a non believer, its certainly among them.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Not necessarily. There are two kinds of destruction, that caused by Man and that caused by Nature, such as an erupting Volcano that wipes out a village.
Is the volcano "evil" because it erupts? Does God have a duty to prevent environmental pain? If God DID prevent environmental pain, then how would you measure faith? It's not faith if everyone see's the tidal wave suddenly falter, or the Erupting volcano always misses the village. It becomes a certainty at that point that some force is altering nature to protect us.

On to pain caused by People. If people cannot cause pain, how can we be said to have free will? Is free will even possible if choices are denied to us to accept the choice and its consequences? Is a life without any pain a "good" thing? Would we progress at all without pain or would we simply be the 'Eloi'?

I believe in God, but I don't believe in the ritual, and structure that churches or Bibles provide. Mankind has an inherent ability for miscommunication, and that's when a person is not injecting their own personal beliefs into 'the word' and thus changing it.

I also believe that the only God that makes sense given your questions, which I too have thought of, is one that prizes free will and choice as the highest value, that cannot coddle us because then we will not grow, that recognizes that suffering is a part of a non coddled existence, and that probably doesn't even consider the brief time we spend here and the pain we endure while growing to be worth a seconds thought. That doesn't mean God is malevolent, just has goals that are far different from ours. For all we know our bodies are the placenta's that feed and nurture souls, in a universe that is a giant womb, and nothing that happens to us matters here.

I believe in God, but I think by definition God would be unknowable and unfathomable, except in the most shallow means. We're simply too limited to do so.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Catholics are still demonized a bit down there. When I lived in Savannah it was fairly uncomfortable if people found out I was a practicing Catholic. Most of them didn't even consider me a Christian. In fact when people were referring to someone's faith they would refer to most protestants as Christians, whereas they would specifically use the terms Catholic and Mormon when referring to anyone from those faiths. It was pretty amusing.

You are also right about the story origins in regards to the papacy being a part of the anti Christ ideals. Papal history has always been an interesting area to study.
Savannah as a town was founded specifically anti-Catholic. It was illegal there.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Spoilering this post because its probably quite long at this point

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Not necessarily. There are two kinds of destruction, that caused by Man and that caused by Nature, such as an erupting Volcano that wipes out a village.
Is the volcano "evil" because it erupts? Does God have a duty to prevent environmental pain? If God DID prevent environmental pain, then how would you measure faith? It's not faith if everyone see's the tidal wave suddenly falter, or the Erupting volcano always misses the village. It becomes a certainty at that point that some force is altering nature to protect us.
The first thing you need to do is abandon this unstated premise that "faith" is some sort of virtue. Its not. You can't "measure" faith. Faith is an excuse. The excuse religious people use to take serious questions and drown them by pretending to know things we cannot know. Faith is not a virtue. It is a cop out. A non explanation, and a tool by which religious believers use to avoid the hard facts about reality. Faith is literally "Belief in something without reason, justification or cause". I suggest you do the same thing I suggested Lurkingdirk do, which is to go back, reread your questions, and replace the word "Faith" with the phrase "The excuse I give for believing in things without reason justification or cause" and see how convincing the argument sounds. Because that's what nonbelievers hear when you use the term. It is a non quantity. An irrelevant assertion.

I believe I already posted this video, but its very worth watching if you seek to really get why "faith" is nothing more than a cop out, a bad meme driven into the skulls of believers by the pulpit.

Now, did God make nature? Did God make the rules by which natural processes occur? Did God define the concept of good and evil? Did God create the rules by which people are condemned to burn in Hell for eternity, and rewarded with eternal splendor in Heaven? If the answer to these questions is "Yes", then God is to blame for every death that has ever occurred as a result of natural processes, and further, He is also responsible, 100%, for every soul rotting in Hellfire and Torment for all eternity.

On to pain caused by People. If people cannot cause pain, how can we be said to have free will? Is free will even possible if choices are denied to us
Free will does not exist. Particularly the Judeo Christian version of Free Will, which means to be able to "accept or deny the Holy Spirit" and therefore to be able to choose whether or not you are condemned to Hell or rewarded with Heaven.

You have no choice. Your brain has made decisions up to 10 seconds prior to you even becoming aware of them. Further, "beliefs" are not made "by choice". Cognitive neuroscience demonstrates that there are real underlying chemical reactions at play when a person has become "convinced" of a thing. This completely destroys the very premise of "Free will" and "Belief is a choice", particularly in the Judeo Christian/Abrahamist view of the concept. I can't be made to believe, for instance, that Australia is a continent lying just north of the state of New York, for instance. Too much overwhelming evidence to the contrary exists. I can't be made to "believe" in Bigfoot either, without evidence.

Religious belief is not a choice - Iron Chariots Wiki

Brain makes decisions before you even know it : Nature News

Disbelief Is Not a Choice | Psychology Today

There are academic works on these subjects if you feel like really digging into it to confirm what I'm telling you.

Would we progress at all without pain or would we simply be the 'Eloi'?
Its completely amoral to think that "Suffering is good for you". It is beaten wife syndrome. Religion tends to inculcate that in people. You do not learn best through being beaten to a pulp. You don't. Suffering does not lead to your being a better person, or Africa and the Middle East and North Korea would be filled to the brim with saints and angels. Every ghetto in America would be like walking through Little Lord Fontleroy's Garden of Delights, if suffering bred better people.

I believe in God, but I don't believe in the ritual, and structure that churches or Bibles provide. Mankind has an inherent ability for miscommunication, and that's when a person is not injecting their own personal beliefs into 'the word' and thus changing it.
Sure, that's fine.

I also believe that the only God that makes sense given your questions, which I too have thought of, is one that prizes free will and choice as the highest value
Then why did he create us incapable of making free will choices? See also above.

That doesn't mean God is malevolent, just has goals that are far different from ours.
This argument is literally "He beats me because he loves me"

For all we know our bodies are the placenta's that feed and nurture souls
No, there is absolutely no evidence, reason, justification or cause to believe this. There is not a shred of evidence for a "soul" at all. Prove a soul, then we can worry about these sorts of conjectures. All evidence points to the consciousness being a purely physiological process derived inside the neurons of the brain, and no evidence exists that consciousness is sort of injected from outside, or based in some outside force, or the result of some spiritual energy injected into the body at birth, etc. Its simply one of those deeply flawed ancient hypotheses that has failed to deliver anything of functional explanatory power in our lives whatsoever.

in a universe that is a giant womb, and nothing that happens to us matters here.
This is the only life you get. The idea that this life is just a waiting room for another life is what I call a "Time share scam" for the non existent soul. "I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday, for your eternal devotion today" said Wimpy to Popeye.

I believe in God, but I think by definition God would be unknowable and unfathomable
Then what's the point of religion? Why do religions across the world claim to "Know God" and that you can "Know God"? This is a special pleading fallacy. A god that is unknowable, unreachable, that takes no actions in this universe, is a god that is functionally non existent and irrelevant.

iannis

Musty Nester
Can't put God in a box.

But the second you try to take him out of the box either Zeus curses you to have your liver eaten every day by an eagle, or some Roman Governor hangs your ass up on a cross.

Thug life.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Some responses inside the spoiler.

Spoilering this post because its probably quite long at this point

The first thing you need to do is abandon this unstated premise that "faith" is some sort of virtue. Its not. You can't "measure" faith. Faith is an excuse. The excuse religious people use to take serious questions and drown them by pretending to know things we cannot know. Faith is not a virtue. It is a cop out. A non explanation, and a tool by which religious believers use to avoid the hard facts about reality. Faith is literally "Belief in something without reason, justification or cause". I suggest you do the same thing I suggested Lurkingdirk do, which is to go back, reread your questions, and replace the word "Faith" with the phrase "The excuse I give for believing in things without reason justification or cause" and see how convincing the argument sounds. Because that's what nonbelievers hear when you use the term. It is a non quantity. An irrelevant assertion.

I never claimed Faith is a virtue, and I well recognize that it's a comforting thought to believe in a great sky father who loves us all and will watch out for us, and that we will live forever. Heck I don't even believe God lives forever, or is unchanging. I also don't pretend to know things I cannot, in fact the central premise is that if God exists, and most days I believe he does, then he is by definition unknowable by us. It's like a 2d worlder trying to explain the third dimension, or a blind person describing red. We have neither the sensory capacity, nor the intellectual capacity to understand a being that made our entire universe, knows everything about it, and lives basically forever.

I accept completely your definition of faith as "Belief in something without reason, justification or cause", that is exactly what faith is. That does not however mean faith does not exist. Sometimes I doubt, and sometimes despite the lack of evidence I do not, and that is what faith is, believing despite the lack of proof.
I believe I already posted this video, but its very worth watching if you seek to really get why "faith" is nothing more than a cop out, a bad meme driven into the skulls of believers by the pulpit.

I don't have the time to watch all those videos but I did watch the 6 minute one with Dennet, and agree with its definition of free will. Also let me state here for the record, I am not preaching to you. I don't care what others believe, that is up to them. All I did was offer a possible alternative to the idea that a God who allows harm (ie pain and death and sadness) is automatically malevolent. That is it.
Now, did God make nature? Did God make the rules by which natural processes occur?

Probably/
Did God define the concept of good and evil?

No. We ourselves still debate good and evil, is it 'good' to cause someones death if doing so saves ten others? Or to be good must we strictly be responsible for our own actions only and "first do no harm". Is smacking a childs ass to teach them not to play in the street "good" or "evil" or just a learning aid? I think our framework for what good and evil is limited by our perceptions and limits. Before you ask yes mass murderers killing people is evil, if only because it removes the option for them grow as people.
Did God create the rules by which people are condemned to burn in Hell for eternity, and rewarded with eternal splendor in Heaven?

I don't believe in heaven or hell, at least not the way they are described in religious texts. Heck I don't believe in Eternity, living forever is the very definition of hell for me.
If the answer to these questions is "Yes", then God is to blame for every death that has ever occurred as a result of natural processes, and further, He is also responsible, 100%, for every soul rotting in Hellfire and Torment for all eternity.

If you assume an entirely mechanistic universe, with no chance then yes God would then be responsible for every death, but by that thought there is also no free will or choice at all because even the thought process of responding to your actions and defending them as Dennet defines free will is an entirely mechanistic process. If however you believe that somewhere, even in the least of things, there is some 'slack' in the mechanistic machine, then that opens the door to choice. I believe there is slack.

Also while death and pain are by definition scary and painful, so is childbirth, but most mothers would agree it's worth the risk.
Free will does not exist. Particularly the Judeo Christian version of Free Will, which means to be able to "accept or deny the Holy Spirit" and therefore to be able to choose whether or not you are condemned to Hell or rewarded with Heaven.

You have no choice. Your brain has made decisions up to 10 seconds prior to you even becoming aware of them. Further, "beliefs" are not made "by choice". Cognitive neuroscience demonstrates that there are real underlying chemical reactions at play when a person has become "convinced" of a thing. This completely destroys the very premise of "Free will" and "Belief is a choice", particularly in the Judeo Christian/Abrahamist view of the concept. I can't be made to believe, for instance, that Australia is a continent lying just north of the state of New York, for instance. Too much overwhelming evidence to the contrary exists. I can't be made to "believe" in Bigfoot either, without evidence.

Religious belief is not a choice - Iron Chariots Wiki

If I understand correctly the central argument of this wiki is that you cannot by force of will, change your belief in something that you already believe. That makes sense to me.
Brain makes decisions before you even know it : Nature News

So the process of making a decision takes time, and starts before we are aware of it. That does not remove the possibility of free will.
Disbelief Is Not a Choice | Psychology Today

I absolutely agree environment has an effect on secularist thought or lack of it.
There are academic works on these subjects if you feel like really digging into it to confirm what I'm telling you.

Its completely amoral to think that "Suffering is good for you". It is beaten wife syndrome. Religion tends to inculcate that in people. You do not learn best through being beaten to a pulp. You don't. Suffering does not lead to your being a better person, or Africa and the Middle East and North Korea would be filled to the brim with saints and angels. Every ghetto in America would be like walking through Little Lord Fontleroy's Garden of Delights, if suffering bred better people.

I'm not saying suffering is good for you I am saying pain can teach. You may not learn best by being beaten to a pulp but burning your hand does teach you that the pan in the over is hot. Now here we get to the difference between environmental pain and man made pain. Africa and the middle east and north korea, and ghetto's are all results of human choices, although not all those choices are made by those who suffer. We could theoretically all live subsistence existences while donating all excess wealth to feed the poor and solve their suffering. That we do not is itself a choice. Perhaps the ones suffering are not the ones who are supposed to be learning? Perhaps every soul spends a certain amount of time as both learner and object lesson.

Also I would again like to point out that IF there is such a thing as a soul, then it is possible that physical pain, is just a byproduct of the process that soul goes thru to learn. The child starving in Africa learns nothing because they are not in a position to alter their lives, or even think philosophical thoughts while deeply focused on hunger and where their next meal is coming from. Thinking about this sort of thing is much farther up the hierarchy of needs then finding food.
Sure, that's fine.

Then why did he create us incapable of making free will choices? See also above.

I don't believe he did.
This argument is literally "He beats me because he loves me"

Or it's "He won't allow me to eat as much candy as I want and stay up all night, because he says he knows better then me".
So is it then never possible to hurt someone you love BECAUSE you love them and want them to change/grow/learn? he beats me because he loves me IS often used as an excuse but can you think of no situation where causing pain to another IS actually because you love someone? If you can, then that opens the possibility that the meta-lesson is worth the pain, even in the case of starving children.

Don't ask me what lesson that is, I do not know, I simply accept that much like my dad spanked me as a kid to stop playing on the freeway under construction among the bulldozers, that he did so because he wanted me to learn something, or to save me from myself.
Maybe God has lessons that are worth the pain?
No, there is absolutely no evidence, reason, justification or cause to believe this. There is not a shred of evidence for a "soul" at all. Prove a soul, then we can worry about these sorts of conjectures. All evidence points to the consciousness being a purely physiological process derived inside the neurons of the brain, and no evidence exists that consciousness is sort of injected from outside, or based in some outside force, or the result of some spiritual energy injected into the body at birth, etc. Its simply one of those deeply flawed ancient hypotheses that has failed to deliver anything of functional explanatory power in our lives whatsoever.

True there is no evidence for a Soul, and I do not 'feel' that a soul exists the way I 'feel' that God exists most times. That's why it's faith.
This is the only life you get. The idea that this life is just a waiting room for another life is what I call a "Time share scam" for the non existent soul. "I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday, for your eternal devotion today" said Wimpy to Popeye.

That might very well be true, and your thought processes certainly do have more evidence, but it is also possible that there is more to the universe then we CAN know and that evidence we can process intellectually and through our senses will never get us to that conclusion.
Then what's the point of religion? Why do religions across the world claim to "Know God" and that you can "Know God"? This is a special pleading fallacy. A god that is unknowable, unreachable, that takes no actions in this universe, is a god that is functionally non existent and irrelevant.
Religion is a comfort to some people, a warden to others actions, a limiter.

A god that is unknowable, unreachable, that takes no actions in this universe, is a god that is functionally non existent and irrelevant.

I agree entirely about the functionally non existent part but not to the irrelevant part. The irrelevant part assumes inherently that we only have one life, that this is it, and that we understand ourselves and our universe. I do not believe we do.

In any case, all I wanted to do was present the possibility that our condition and our suffering is part of a process whose goal we cannot understand, and thus that a God that allowed such suffering need not be malevolent. Thats all. Nothing more and nothing less.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Spoilered for extreme length.

I never claimed Faith is a virtue
No, itsimplicitin the way you employ it. Itpresupposesfaith is a virtue.

That does not however mean faith does not exist.
It exists in the minds of the people who employ it. But it is a cop out.

Also let me state here for the record, I am not preaching to you
I don't think you are. Its a dialogue, that's all. I'm not preaching to you either. We're just sharing opinions. Its all good.

No (I don't think God defines good and evil)
Then why call it God?

If you assume an entirely mechanistic universe
Its not an assumption. Its an observation. All evidence points to the universe being entirely comprised of mechanistic processes founded in the fundamental laws of physics, thermodynamics, etc. No evidence indicates otherwise.

but by that thought there is also no free will or choice at all
This is pretty much exactly the case. We have illusions of free choice or will caused by the fact that evolutionary processes have limited our capacity for awareness as a mechanism for survival. Excess information is weeded out of the conscious, into a subconscious arena, where in "choices" are derived founded in genetic predispositions. All evidence thus far, from neuroscience and other arenas, points in this direction, and no evidence points in the direction that we make conscious decisions in the way that popular culture has promoted for....thousands of years honestly.

Its a case of we operate from assumptions that are simply incorrect founded in culturally perpetuated concepts.

If however you believe that somewhere, even in the least of things, there is some 'slack' in the mechanistic machine, then that opens the door to choice. I believe there is slack.
That's fine if that's what you believe. But the thing is belief is meaningless, without evidence. That's really where the divide is here. I want to believe as many demonstrably true things as possible, and disbelieve those things which are asserted but have no evidence to support them.

So the process of making a decision takes time, and starts before we are aware of it. That does not remove the possibility of free will.
No, you've completely misunderstood this point. The point is that the decision is made, is decided upon,BEFOREyou are consciously aware of it.

Which completely negates on every level the possibility that you've made a "choice" on any level of which you are cognitively "aware" of.

I'm not saying suffering is good for you I am saying pain can teach.
If pain teaches you, then suffering is good for you. Education is good. This is a contradiction. I hope you can see that.

Its internally inconsistent.

. We could theoretically all live subsistence existences while donating all excess wealth to feed the poor and solve their suffering. That we do not is itself a choice.
Are you so sure? How do you know? The reality is that our survival instincts underlie hoarding activities. In the same way excess calories are converted to adipose tissue as a means of surviving periods of lack of nutrition, our mental desire to consume and withhold is a mechanistic function of our evolutionary history. Those who did not have this trait died at a higher rate than those that did, leaving fewer off spring. The end result is that more people desire to hoard than not. All without any conscious thought going into the matter, since all these decisions are made in our subconsciousnesses prior to our being aware of them.

Also I would again like to point out that IF there is such a thing as a soul
There's no evidence for it, so there's no reason to even play games with "Well what IF there is a soul?". This is a modified Pascal's Wager style argument. "Well what if it IS true?" Without evidence to justify belief in a soul, there's no reason to even address the concern.

Or it's "He won't allow me to eat as much candy as I want and stay up all night, because he says he knows better then me".
There's no evidence "he" exists. Further, this seems very close to the sorts of mental graspings for justifications that I want to avoid at all costs in my interactions with reality. The fundamental divide between the believer, and the non believer, is the non believer is willing to face realityas we observe it to actually existwhile the believer wants to face realityas they wish that it existed.

rrr_img_95984.jpg
rrr_img_95985.jpg

Don't ask me what lesson that is, I do not know, I simply accept that much like my dad spanked me as a kid
Its a very telling quote. Just saying.

But the argument "The Lord works in mysterious ways" again, is just an apologetic. Its a way of convincing yourself to continue to deal with reality as you wish it were, rather than how it is. If the Lord works in mysterious ways, he's a monster. An invisible, immoral, sky tyrant.

Maybe God has lessons that are worth the pain?
He beats me because he loves me.

True there is no evidence for a Soul, and I do not 'feel' that a soul exists the way I 'feel' that God exists most times. That's why it'sthe excuse I give for believing in things without reason, justification or cause.
That might very well be true, and your thought processes certainly do have more evidence, but it is also possible
Its possible that unicorns and Bigfoot will fly out of the sky tomorrow and deliver Cadbury cream eggs to all the children. Its notpossibilitythat is the issue for the non believer. Itsprobability, particularly in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence.

I'm not preaching to you, either, just trying to give you an idea of how we non believers view these issues and the world, why we've come to the conclusions we've come to. So don't think I'm like attacking you or something here. Its trying to help you see the world through my eyes for a bit, so you can see how we non believers see all these arguments as really sort of a straw grasping attempt to generate explanations for questions that don't have easy answers, in fact have answers that arequite uncomfortable, which is why it takes a strong degree of intellectual honesty and a willingness to live with hard truths over comforting fictions. This is how we view all these explanations. Anthropologically I would say it this way: When faced with things we don't understand, humans have a tendency to generate explanations, however implausible, as a means of allowing them to quiet cognitive dissonance so they can just sorta get on with their lives. Which is fine. Its a survival mechanism, fundamentally. Built into our genes.

that evidence we can process intellectually and through our senses will never get us to that conclusion.
You want answers, but you eschew the only methodology and tools with which we can possibly derive them, in fact you are attempting to create a wall around these beliefs that says "Beyond here be DRAGONS, intellect and reason DARE NOT CROSS".

This is what I cannot do. Intellectualism, reason, and our senses arethe only path to truth in this situation. All other routes are only a path to willful delusion. That's how the Athiest sees these arguments. Hopefully you can dig that.

The irrelevant part assumes inherently that we only have one life
Its not anassumption. Its a directobservation. The only people engaging in presuppositional thinking here are the theists whopresupposesomething for which there isnot a shred of evidence to support. That's the issue, you see? I'm notassumingthere's only one life. Withoutany evidence to the contrary, there is only one possible conclusion, and that is disbelief in claims that have no evidence to support them. Thenull hypothesisis disbelief in this claim that there may be life after death. I could certainly be wrong. But theprobabilityof that is so low, in the face of 12,000 plus years of human cultural development and society promoting these claims of life after death without a single shred of valid evidence ever once being offered up to support them, that its afunctionally irrelevant propositions. Prove a probability of life after death first, then we can operate from a position that it exists. That's the issue. This is how we do rational inquiry. We don't saywell it COULD BE that Bigfoot is real, therefore we should operate from the assumption he is. That's silly. It leaves you with no choice but to accept the most ridiculous claims at face value with no filter to weed out the nonsense.

You dig?

This is the way the mind of the non believer works. Its also the way the mind of the rational empiricist works. Its also the reason we have airplanes and internets and all the cool shit we have today, as a result of this way of thinking, directly. Belief without evidence is a form ofcultural mass delusion, and willful self delusion. Its trying to deal with the realitywe wish existed, rather than the reality that actually does exist.

In any case, all I wanted to do was present the possibility that our condition and our suffering is part of a process whose goal we cannot understand, and thus that a God that allowed such suffering need not be malevolent. Thats all. Nothing more and nothing less.
I mean, that's fine. I respect that. All I want you to see is that, to the non believer, what you've got is a whole lotta "beliefs" that have no functional evidence for their truth value, which means you've got a lot of weak conjecture, which isn't enough to justify belief if you're engaging inintellectual honestyand truly desire to seek the truth and know it to the best of your ability. That's how we view this entire debate.

Its all about burden of proof. Believers have lots of things theybelieve, but not a lot of those beliefs can bejustified, ergo the burden of proof remains unfulfilled, and belief in these claims is unjustified. Unjustified beliefs are just willful delusions, in our worldview.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Don't let the flames of thatpersecution complexdie down there Mikey.

"The single greatest threat to all of our freedoms is the threat to your religious liberty," Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, told the crowd in a speech that at times sounded like a church sermon. "Let me be clear tonight: I'm not backing off because what I'm saying is true. We are criminalizing Christianity in this country."

iannis

Musty Nester
Uhh Mike. We have more religious liberty right now than we've probably ever had.

Maybe that scares Preachers.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think this might be even more groanworthy though

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio - who earlier this month told reporters that he would attend a loved one's same-sex wedding despite his opposition to gay marriage - stressed his support for defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

"In this whole debate about the definition of marriage, I remind everyone that marriage as an institution existed before even government itself - that the institution of marriage as one man and one woman existed before our laws existed," Rubio said, one of his most enthusiastic applause lines that night.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It should come as no surprise that a religion founded on the mythology of a willing human blood sacrifice has serious issues with engaging in persecution complex driven worldviews.

Royal

I think this might be even more groanworthy though
Yeah part of the whole hangup on the organized religion side is the complete inability or unwillingness to distinguish between marriage rites as a religious sacrament and marriage as a civil contract. If you want to believe in the divinely wrought through rib meat origin story then you're welcome to have your delusion but that doesn't mean the rest of us who know it was born out of a deal struck between some village's best goat herder and it's second best farmer have to go along with you for the ride.

Not to mention that some religions, some of them Christian denominations, willingly perform marriage rites between same sex couples. You can actually argue religious liberty in both directions on this. In fact that was the basis for one of the lawsuits brought in NC against the state's marriage amendment.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Can't the mods roll this into the atheism thread? Don't need multiple threads in the general forum with clowns shitting it up.

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't you dare make Huckabee right.

I like the guy. Sorta. I think he'd be a decent Mayor and maybe a not terrible governor for a small State. I think he'd be a very bad President indeed.

Royal

Can't the mods roll this into the atheism thread? Don't need multiple threads in the general forum with clowns shitting it up.
This thread has, by and large, been concerned with religion as it intersects with the law not with how little it intersects with reason and fact. Those discussions really do belong apart. Given the overall tenor of the Atheism thread, I personally see how some who adhere to some form of faith are a little more comfortable having the type of back and forth that has unfolded the last few pages. They want an reasoned debate without all the demeaning side chatter. That said, that really should be in it's own thread, if such is even possible at this point.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Don't you dare make Huckabee right.

I like the guy. Sorta. I think he'd be a decent Mayor and maybe a not terrible governor for a small State. I think he'd be a very bad President indeed.
I seem to remember him pardoning a convicted murderer, then the guy killing someone else... Not sure tho.