Interstellar (2014)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That is a 5/10 in my book
Why? I thought 6th Sense was a great movie but it's great wholly on the idea that you don't know he's dead the whole time. When I watched it I loved it but I've never watched it again because....why?

Same goes for this really.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The two time paradoxes are annoying and keep it from being a great movie. Still epic science fiction which we don't have enough of these days.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Back to the Future is a comedy. No one is comparing SpaceBalls to the SW prequels either.

spronk

FPS noob
I suppose you could say that about Back to the Future.
Doc Brown says in the BTF universe there are alternate realities that are branched into, so all the paradoxes are explained away as paradoxes branching into new realities. i.e. Biff steals almanac, new timeline is branched into where Biff has the almanac from 1955 forward - the original Marty timeline (where his dad sucks) still exists but is unreachable for Marty unless he goes back to 1955 and undoes the almanac stealing.

An extension of this is the multiverse where there are an infinite number of realities, where every single possible permutation of every single subatomic particle exists as unique universes, and all a time traveler is doing is shifting between realities. In this scenario nothing you really do matters because every single possible choice every single being makes is realized in all infinite possibilities, but unless you can shift universes or time travel you can never see them. Star Trek definitely operates on this model, ala the "evil beard-o" universe or the episode where Worf experiences dozens of alternate realities.

Interstellar however seems to definitely land on the single-verse side of things especially with causality still in play (Tex is the one who sent Murph the messages) while leaving open the issue of paradox.

Fringe also sort of tackled the problem, they wavered between infinite universes and two universes though depending on the season.

12 Monkeys (new SyFy series) also tackles the problem and seems to so far land squarely on the single-verse model where causality is maintained even through time travel but can create paradoxes with catastrophic results.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why? I thought 6th Sense was a great movie but it's great wholly on the idea that you don't know he's dead the whole time. When I watched it I loved it but I've never watched it again because....why?

Same goes for this really.
Let me put this way:

1-4....I've wasted time of my life with this. 1 for really worthless and movies that I call nerd rage (prequels and max payne for example)
5...meh. I've seen once and don't have interest to watch it again.
6....sunday afternoon movie that you have seen zillion times.
7...good movie with some flaws
8...great movie
9...top 10-20
10...favourite movie(s)

Szlia

I almost never rewatch movies. If it happens it's a semi accident (I flip channels, land on a movie I saw and end up watching it again), or because I saw it the first time in poor conditions and get the opportunity to see it again in good conditions (a classic seen on VHS that has a restored print showing in theater for instance).

I always favor seeing something for the first time over seeing once again something I enjoyed (but I also see a lot of movies: 123 so far in 2015). That said, re-watching movie can be a very surprising experience. Not because you forgot the plot, but because you might totally reevaluate a movie. It happened to me recently with Margin Call. When I saw it in theater I found it ok with a couple good scenes, but when I saw it the other day by chance on TV it glued me in with great scene after great scene after great scene. Very strange.

I have no plan to watch Interstellar again.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Interstellar however seems to definitely land on the single-verse side of things especially with causality still in play (Tex is the one who sent Murph the messages) while leaving open the issue of paradox.
The future humans existing in 5 dimensions where our concept of causality does not apply means there's no paradox.

iannis

Musty Nester
In Doc Brown's version it still matters what you do, because while all things may exist concurrently at all times you are still personally limited in your ability to perceive them and interact with them. So it still matters to you. And you are the only thing that matters. Objectively, since anything that it is possible for you to do has already been done it might not matter.

Surprisingly, Doc Browns version was a lot more rational and debauched than the hand waving, convoluted mysticism of Interstellar. Doc Brown basically argues solopism. Interstellar argues miracles.

Brad2770

Doc Brown says in the BTF universe there are alternate realities that are branched into, so all the paradoxes are explained away as paradoxes branching into new realities. i.e. Biff steals almanac, new timeline is branched into where Biff has the almanac from 1955 forward - the original Marty timeline (where his dad sucks) still exists but is unreachable for Marty unless he goes back to 1955 and undoes the almanac stealing.
Marty writing the letter to Doc Brown is exactly like the the wormhole appearing. I wasn't even thinking of the sequels. The multiple time lines doesn't even come into play until later.

And who's to say that Nolan wouldn't do something like that if he made sequels. It was already foreshadowed that he wanted to use the blackhole to go back in time. Maybe by the second or third movie, they find a cure/remedy to the blight and go back and fix everything.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
i.e. Biff steals almanac, new timeline is branched into where Biff has the almanac from 1955 forward - the original Marty timeline (where his dad sucks) still exists but is unreachable for Marty unless he goes back to 1955 and undoes the almanac stealing.
I realize this isn't a BTF thread but just as an aside - Old Biff would not have been able to return to his original future. He would've traveled to the new future he created by giving Young Biff the almanac.

Additionally, Marty could not have traveled to the future to see himself. By Doc Brown bring Marty into the future, he effectively created a new timeline where Marty disappeared for 30 years.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Watched this last night. Fantastic movie and I highly recommend it to any Sci-Fi fan which is probably everyone here.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wife and I enjoyed it via Amazon Instant last night, first time she's ever really heard of time dilation so that was fun talking about that the rest of the evening.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Wife and I enjoyed it via Amazon Instant last night, first time she's ever really heard of time dilation so that was fun talking about that the rest of the evening.
Same thing with my wife, she still doesn't get it. It's such a foreign concept to her that I don't think the rest of the movie even registered and she has no idea what happened after that conversation started.