Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Regional banks all getting slaughtered this morning. KRE (regional bank ETF) hitting Nov2020 lows.

Australia did a surprise rate hike. Expectations were for a hold. Stickier inflation data showing up all over Europe. All eyes on the Fed tomorrow. The sooner the markets throw out these rate cut expectations for 2023 and price in a recession, the sooner we can just resolve the next phase of this cycle. Let's also not forget the debt ceiling drama is just starting. Yellen says we are out of funds by June 1st.
I had an order in to close my USB puts yesterday but it didnt fill. Could be interesting in a few weeks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh hey right on q debt limit problems.
I am not putting any long money into the market at this point until the debt ceiling drama is resolved. There will be drama, the media and the market demand drama. SPY and everything else will go on sale at least 10% off.

Think of it like a coupon.
1683045268535.png

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah but whats your entry point?
This is the problem for most folks (myself included on occasion). Over a long time horizon, it doesnt matter. Just have the money invested. S&P 500 returns (with divvy reinvestment) since the year before Covid up until last week. The data supports the idea of just keep your cash invested. Don't min/max a couple of percent on an entry point.

1683052292826.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Good way to simulate a heart attack is to see a ah order glitch. Nvda briefly showed it was down 30%.

Also poor AMD. double beat and tanks ah, intel reports worst quarter ever and it pumps.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whats the consensus, has the market already priced in a 25 pt hike?
Absolutely. It is basically a certainty of 25bp hike. The real issue at hand is the market seems to be priced for rate cuts coming this year and not much positioned for recession. All eyes are going to be on his statement and presser. Do we get hawkish Powell ("more work to do" / "higher for longer") or dovish "soft landing" Powell? Some see the banking drama as a reason to cut immediately, but all of the inflation data hasn't been great, so there's an argument to keep more hikes open on the table. This is probably one of the most important Fed meetings of the year.

I still don't think rate cuts come until something is broken. Even after the cuts, we're likely already head-on into recession by that point.

I am currently in the camp of stagflation. Things are slowing down, while prices remain stickier than expected. (Stagflation being Fed's worst case scenario)

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Absolutely. It is basically a certainty of 25bp hike. The real issue at hand is the market seems to be priced for rate cuts coming this year and not much positioned for recession. All eyes are going to be on his statement and presser. Do we get hawkish Powell ("more work to do" / "higher for longer") or dovish "soft landing" Powell? Some see the banking drama as a reason to cut immediately, but all of the inflation data hasn't been great, so there's an argument to keep more hikes open on the table. This is probably one of the most important Fed meetings of the year.

I still don't think rate cuts come until something is broken. Even after the cuts, we're likely already head-on into recession by that point.

I am currently in the camp of stagflation. Things are slowing down, while prices remain stickier than expected. (Stagflation being Fed's worst case scenario)
But Lord Keynes told us stagflation couldn't exist.

• 1NPC

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Good way to simulate a heart attack is to see a ah order glitch. Nvda briefly showed it was down 30%.

Also poor AMD. double beat and tanks ah, intel reports worst quarter ever and it pumps.

bro you still hodling NVDA?

• 1Diamond Hands

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
MP hit new 52 week low. I bought some more puts for sept expiry this time. Only in about 1,000$ total so still not that large of position.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
META: FTC proposes blanket prohibition preventing Facebook from monetizing youth data

• 1Mic Drop