Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Closing out my PLTR covered calls for breakeven. Earnings is on Monday and my intention was to out of the play before earnings. I did not see this ramp up to 20+ coming and I am happy to be out for free. This price action is a perfect setup to moon if they can smash earnings and continue their run of being profitable.

• 2Paper Hands
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Paper-handed my NVDS calls for 70 cents. Probably the wrong move but what I think logically should happen with NVDA and what I think will happen with NVDA is two different things. I will take my shitty little profits and walk away.

• 4Paper Hands
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
IRA 101:
Traditional IRA uses pre-tax dollars going in and they get taxed when they come out.
Roth is the opposite. Uses already taxed dollars going in and they are untaxed coming out.

Since you pension is most likely untaxed at this point, it will go into a traditional IRA (rollover).

ps.. This is REALLY SUPER IMPORTANT.... Do NOT take possession of the fund yourself. Have the pension fund company transfer them directly to the broker you use. While technically, you have 59 days to take the funds yourself and put them in the new account, i can tell you horror stories of people who fucked this up. Do a direct rollover from one company to another and dont have the funds sent to you. Again, this sounds complicated but it super easy.

I had 401ks at three different places at the beginning of this year due to changes in employers I've done over the last decade. Finally got them all put into my current employer's 401k plan. For me each time I just had the current employer's 401k support people I called (Fidelity) walk me through it. The closest I came to ever taking possession of the funds was that they sent me a check which had Fidelity listed on it, I took pictures of the front and back of said checks and dropped them in the Fidelity gateway and poof. Done.

I know someone who screwed this process up and ended up actually paying taxes on the funds and it was a monumental nut kick and source of depression for him for a year or two afterwards.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So my worry of the day....

My company moved our earnings announcement forward, but is also extending it to 2 hours of analyst call time. This right after a competitor announced earnings and tanked so badly they had to downward revise guidance for the entire next year, so the market is punishing everybody in our market segment this week over it. I haven't heard anything that would indicate we're also going to post crap earnings (but I'm also not in a position to be handed anything which would be considered sensitive information from an SEC standpoint on that front). But I'm getting an ominous bad feeling in my "Worst Case Scenario" gland.....

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Vyemm Raider
I had 401ks at three different places at the beginning of this year due to changes in employers I've done over the last decade. Finally got them all put into my current employer's 401k plan. For me each time I just had the current employer's 401k support people I called (Fidelity) walk me through it. The closest I came to ever taking possession of the funds was that they sent me a check which had Fidelity listed on it, I took pictures of the front and back of said checks and dropped them in the Fidelity gateway and poof. Done.

I know someone who screwed this process up and ended up actually paying taxes on the funds and it was a monumental nut kick and source of depression for him for a year or two afterwards.
why not roll it into an ira? wouldn't moving from one 401k to another just retain the limited investment options vs anything ?

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I bought some SPY yesterday at 449, sell off was feeling like a yawn fest so giddy up for ATHs. I'm taking more risk but also increasing sensitivity on the trigger. Just wanting to grind some gains out trading levels

• 1To the Moon!

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Yeah, the law says you have 59 days to take a disbursement and put in in the new retirement account. The good thing about this is it can provide a ton of liquidity if you need access to cash for a "short" amount of time. You can take the disbursement, use it, and then replace it in 59 days. No harm.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
iu

• 1Launch Fail

ShakyJake

<Donor>
AAPL has plunged all the way back to where it was before the July melt-up.

GIF by Justin
Sold the 200 PUTs I bought last week. Took a gamble on that one. But I just could not see the stock making any more gains after its meteoric rise over the past several weeks. And the odds of blowout earnings were pretty slim IMO.

• 3Tendies
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
With that close we have a decent shot at testing 50d hopefully pajama jerks don't ruin it and happens during normal trading. Bulls want to see SPY 440 area hold, the charts have plenty of room for pullback though, a break of 440 should be enough for the bears to start yelling told you so just in time to miss the bus again.

• 2Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Follow-up on that previous post, There is a treasury auction closing on 8/8 for 3-year notes. Face value is 4.5% coupon with the expected yield about 4.39%
Think I am going to grab some.
Now that my house sale closed in NY and I no longer need any cash out of my accounts for my new purchase I am free to start investing it again. Off the sidelines at last.

1691292446527.png

There is a 10-year auction on 8/9 at 4% a coupon. Some things I like to side with Buffett on and I might piggyback this trade with him.

1691292614085.png

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well boys, are you team Buffett or team Spaceman?

da fuq Sanrith, fake news up in here. Buffet is buying 3 & 6 month maturities which have fuq all to do with a short of a 30yr. Post fake news again and I shall taunt you a second time. Making me community note you :(

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
da fuq Sanrith, fake news up in here. Buffet is buying 3 & 6 month maturities which have fuq all to do with a short of a 30yr. Post fake news again and I shall taunt you a second time. Making me community note you :(
Don't blame me, Buffett told me he was buying 10's over egg McMuffins last week.

Ps.. I still bought some 3-yr and 10-yrs at next week's auction.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers