Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AMD slashing prices on its top of the line chip;

Season 3 Nickelodeon GIF by Paramount+

Rais

Trakanon Raider
They have a new chip coming out so they dump the prices 3 months before hand to get rid of stock. Or all the companies collaborated and there really wasn’t a shortage just playing the Covid game like every other company. It’s a 50/50 on this one.

• 2Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
They have a new chip coming out so they dump the prices 3 months before hand to get rid of stock. Or all the companies collaborated and there really wasn’t a shortage just playing the Covid game like every other company. It’s a 50/50 on this one.
AMD just released a great earnings report, and they are obviously developing new chips. I would suspect you're right about the "dumping stock for the new hotness they plan on dropping"

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it's not the 90's anymore. It's super easy and you don't need to pay someone to skim 1% off the top for shittier results.

My wife and I had the absolute hardest time trying to find an actual financial planner because 99.9% of them are all "free" when you have Assets Under Management. That means they are making between .5-2% of the TOTAL VALUE of your 401k/IRA balance per year for doing basically nothing since most of it is in long term vehicles and only get moved to rebalance. This is even further hindered by the fact that they will never help you plan around other investments, namely real estate holdings, because every dollar you put towards something they cannot manage is a dollar less that they do not collect a percentage of every year. It is a scam.

So I found a very small community of advice-only, fee-based planners and we have been working with one over the last few months and it has been great. The total out of pocket cost will be less than .01% of the total value of our portfolio and it is a one-time payment for a plan that he says should only have to be done once. I asked him about a smaller engagement every year to sanity check and he said "If I do my job right you won't ever have to come back since I'm giving you the tools to change the plan even in an extreme scenario." This guy is turning away more money because he thinks it would be scummy. Oh, and it includes planning out of other investment vehicles like rental properties and even takes into account social security (if you feel like rolling those dice).

TLDR; Fee based financial planning is great; AUM planning is a scam.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
AMD just released a great earnings report, and they are obviously developing new chips. I would suspect you're right about the "dumping stock for the new hotness they plan on dropping"
And it’s an ultra niche market where whatever engineering company / person is buying it just wants the very best one

I would liken it to pharmaceuticals really. If you have the best one you can charge for it, if you have the second best the price tanks fast , since it appears amd is still going to have the best one just not this version it’s not bearish for the company imo.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
WMT pushing a new all-time high. It is one of those non-flashy stocks that just grinds out alpha year in and year out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This feels like a great time to just sell everything and buy bonds.

• 1Paper Hands

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This feels like a great time to just sell everything and buy bonds.
I agree on the bonds part. I grabbed some 10-yr and 3-yr Treasuries at the auction tomorrow.

Follow-up on that previous post, There is a treasury auction closing on 8/8 for 3-year notes. Face value is 4.5% coupon with the expected yield about 4.39%
Think I am going to grab some.
Now that my house sale closed in NY and I no longer need any cash out of my accounts for my new purchase I am free to start investing it again. Off the sidelines at last.

View attachment 485525

There is a 10-year auction on 8/9 at 4% a coupon. Some things I like to side with Buffett on and I might piggyback this trade with him.

View attachment 485526

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TSLA crashed through the 50-DMA ($254) like it wasn't there. Nothing but air (literally no support whatsoever) all the way down to the 100-DMA at $216

1691430661555.png

• 1Like
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
TSLA crashed through the 50-DMA ($254) like it wasn't there. Nothing but air (literally no support whatsoever) all the way down to the 100-DMA at $216

View attachment 485703

Or could be the same reason Tesla and others are cutting prices on their products.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As of last week, this is the top 10 holdings by weight of the big 4 indexes I follow. There are of course various flavors of these same 4.

SPY (S&P 500)
QQQ (NASDAQ 100)
ITOT (Total US Market)
FTEC (Fidelity Tech Sector Index)

1691431732014.png

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ok what goods though and what are stocks and sales. There's also a recession and people have started to run out of credit access. I see this more as whiplash from supply chain elasticity reintroduced when JIT went tits up.
Its not just "Americans are buying less so imports are down". American companies are shifting to Mexico.

"Earlier this year, Mexico became the United States’ top trading partner, as manufacturers increasingly favored regional supply networks rather than global ones."

• 1Like