Investing General Discussion

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
My issue with small caps over the very long periods is that is has a bias for losers in the same fashion the S&P has bias for winners. Small firms grow and succeed they leave the small caps and enter the large. The S&P contains every large successful company and it always will. Small caps includes a lot of failures. The only thing small caps offer is large alpha of rapid growth as companies move towards the larger market caps.

This is the reason why a small cap fund is the only actively managed thing in my portfolio (and at a small proportion, like 10%). S&P is gonna S&P.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its just a math thing. S&P outperforms total market. Not by "alot", but it does outperform over the long term. Over last ten years ITOT underperforms SPY by about 9-10%. By this I mean in total gains (+150% to +160%) Even knowing this I still end up owning some because i "want exposure" and I know its stupid but do it anyway. I am not the world's smartest investor.

1703172298251.png

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Im not sold that yesterday's red day was an anomaly. I might be crazy but a down turn in the afternoon pushing us into the red wouldn't surprise me. An absolute ton of money got made on the 0DTE puts yesterday and I can definitely see those greedy fuckers going back to the well today.

Or I'm totally wrong.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
S&P 600 only allows profitable small caps and gets rid of the super small cap and is a great choice for longer holding small caps vs Russel 2000

I use IWM because it has the deepest options market, but for a hold I think it's a poor choice. I'm likely going to hold $100-200k in 2024 and that will be in S&P 600 index not IWM

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For those playing at home. The S&P is currently:

Above the 50 DMA by (5.3%)

Above the 100 DMA by (5.9%)

Above the 200 DMA by (8.1%)

• 1To the Moon!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
This is the right question to ask, and I think the answer might surprise you. Let's take a look at this Vanguard 2065 fund. Below is its composition (e.g. these are the 4 "funds" that the target retirement fund has picked and their relative weights)
View attachment 505212

So Vanguard funds for - Domestic Stocks (VSMPX): 54%. International Stocks (VGTSX): 36.3%. Domestic Bonds (VTBIX): 6.9%. International Bonds (VTILX): 2.8%.

Let's look at the performance of each of those:
FundYTD ReturnsWeightingYTD Contribution (Returns x Weighting)
Domestic Stocks (VSMPX)24.02%54.0%12.9708%
International Stocks (VGTSX)12.09%36.3%4.38867%
Domestic Bonds (VTBIX)5.26%6.9%0.36294%
International Bonds (VTILX)9.15%2.8%0.2562%
Total17.97861%

Boy, it looks like those Domestic Stocks are really killing it. Does Vanguard have some secret blend that is allowing it to achieve this incredible performance?

No, it's basically just the S&P500:
View attachment 505213

So Vanguard took your money, invested some of it in the S&P500(ish), and then put some in international stocks and bonds which had a lower return.

So if you really wanted to outperform the retirement fund, you could have picked ONE thing yourself--SPY (the S&P500 ETF), and gotten an extra 5% this year.

That said, I'm not saying Vanguard 2065 is garbage. Setting international aside, those bond funds making 5.26% and 9.15% aren't necessarily "underperforming", they are just much less risky than stocks and therefore are providing a lower return as a result. On a risk-adjusted basis, they're probably performing fine relative to the S&P 500. If the market had collapsed instead of blown up this year (see 2022), those stable single percentage gains from the bond funds would still have been there, and you would have come out a huge winner. The 2065 fund probably handily outperformed S&P500 last year, but on average it will return less.

It is you, as an investor, that has said "I want a lower risk profile, and therefore I am willing to take a lower return by investing my money in safer but lower return assets".

Unless you are in the 50+ age range, I think this is a massively detrimental position to take and will have enormously negative impacts on your long-term wealth.

For idiots like me who can't play fucking Geometry Wars with price charts, my single largest earnings potential is my ability to absorb higher risk due to my (relative, 35ish here) youth + financial situation (money you can invest and never need to draw on until retirement) and reap the larger expected returns that this brings. Your risk profile now is what will define your long-term wealth. You could buy nothing but 20-year Treasuries, earn 4% for the rest of your life, and from a risk-efficiency perspective, you would have a perfect score. But obviously, you would have left what I expect will be literal millions of dollars on the table by not taking full advantage of your ability to absorb short-term risk.

Back off my soapbox and on Vanguard: That bond mix is only going to increase each year. This is what the 2030 retirement fund looks like now:
View attachment 505214

So now is the time to decide if you want to be in bonds at this stage of your life. Maybe so! But I would bet if you're looking 35 years out for retirement, you'd rather be risking more to make more unless you truly have a use case for an "stable" 10% of your portfolio, or you have a thesis about a coming crisis.

So basically:
  1. The fund is doing well because everything is doing well
  2. You could very easily have gotten a higher RETURN yourself by taking on more RISK. Stocks vs. bonds is the quintessential question here.
  3. Now is the time to decide what you want to do with respect to #2
  4. If you read "more risk" and immediately think about 300% returns on Life Bank Corp or buying near-expiry options for pennies on the dollar, stick with your financial adviser.
This is long enough, so I'll save my thesis on domestic vs international stocks for another time.
Thanks for all this great info. Gonna digest it tonight, come up with a new potential 401k portfolio and run it by you all.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So I’m looking at my 401k and it seems like my employer limits options as to what funds I can choose. However, my 401k which is fidelity managed offers me the option to open a brokerage link account which on the surface seems like I could use for my 401k. Is anyone familiar with this?

Also for reference these are employer options
IMG_4882.jpeg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1703213929566.png

This was a good trade but I should have bought a lot fucking more.

• 1Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I’m looking at my 401k and it seems like my employer limits options as to what funds I can choose. However, my 401k which is fidelity managed offers me the option to open a brokerage link account which on the surface seems like I could use for my 401k. Is anyone familiar with this?

Also for reference these are employer options View attachment 505307
Yes.
401ks are always limited in the choice selections. It's why some 401k plans suck. The options are all bad.

Brokerage link lets you manage like 50% of your 401k. Use it IF you don't have a S&P500/total market fund option in your 401k. If you do then just through all your money into it.

Edit: your plan has an S&P 500 option. It's the play. Vanguard Inst 500 Index Trust is the S&P. Use it.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yes.
401ks are always limited in the choice selections. It's why some 401k plans suck. The options are all bad.

Brokerage link lets you manage like 50% of your 401k. Use it IF you don't have a S&P500/total market fund option in your 401k. If you do then just through all your money into it.

Edit: your plan has an S&P 500 option. It's the play. Vanguard Inst 500 Index Trust is the S&P. Use it.

Yup I was eyeing that. What would you mix it with? The state street large cap value seems like it’s tracking Russel 1000 with more value stocks (heavy financial services/healthcare). On the flip side their growth version is more growth (heavy heavy on tech). The international offerings I need to look over.

Any suggestions? Maybe 80% s&p 500 and 20% international, fuck bonds?

Will ping Blazin Blazin or S sliverstorm too

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Or just all in on s&p 500 seems to be what yall are leaning towards?

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Or just all in on s&p 500 seems to be what yall are leaning towards?

These days, pretty much yes as the base for general long-term investing. Small cap sucks per Blazin's explanation, international sucks. Bonds only if you're looking to lower volatility at the expense of returns.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Also for reference these are employer options View attachment 505307
If I had to make a choice with that list I would do either: 100% VANG INST 500 IDX TR
or 80% VANG INST 500 IDX TR and 20% VANG SM VAL IDX INST

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You guys around right. I’m like 35 years out until I can touch this money. Why tf am I in bonds…

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If I had to make a choice with that list I would do either: 100% VANG INST 500 IDX TR
or 80% VANG INST 500 IDX TR and 20% VANG SM VAL IDX INST
Is your reasoning for the latter to add a little bit more risk with small caps for more potential future gains?