Investing General Discussion

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
"comfortable life" is the real variable. For some folks, not having a $10 coffee from Starbucks every morning and a $30 Ubereats deliver of a Panera soup for lunch is below their idea of comfortable living. On the other hand, a $40 annual pass to every state park in FL combined with a couple of tubes/kayaks/paddleboards is more than comfortable for others.
If you’ve seen one state park in FL, you’ve seen them all IMO

alligator swamp GIF by Dead Set on Life

• 1Slow
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd be curious as to that needed income to "live comfortably" if you take NYC, LA, and SF out of the mix.

250k/yr needed to own a home and make ends meet in LA, generally. Can be split between all income earners in the family, obviously. I rent.

Last edited:
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
250k/yr needed to own a home and make ends meet in LA, generally. Can be split between all income earners in the family, obviously. I rent.
Even here in California, the area matters a ton. Our place is 2100 sqft, single story, 10k lot, built in the mid 60's. Houses in the neighborhood have been going for 1 - 1.4M, a mile or 2 south and you're paying 25%+ more. My parents live in NorCal, comparable are 50% less.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Even here in California, the area matters a ton. Our place is 2100 sqft, single story, 10k lot, built in the mid 60's. Houses in the neighborhood have been going for 1 - 1.4M, a mile or 2 south and you're paying 25%+ more. My parents live in NorCal, comparable are 50% less.

Is that L.A.? I've only really scouted places/prices within commuting distance to L.A. and while there are variations, I feel like the 250k number is probably pretty accurate.

Here's an example of a 2 bed/2 bath, 1500 sq/ft in my general area going for close to 2m. Thing looks like a glorified garage: 4269 Navajo Ave, North Hollywood, CA 91602 | MLS #24-424111 | Zillow

Actually, I think it is a garage.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't have a house note or payment on either of my trucks. While that's good, it really shows how much more you are spending on just food. A lot especially since I put up a lot less this year of deer, ducks, geese, and didn't send any cattle off to the butcher.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Closed SBUX position just now @ $87 small loss and 100% a waste of time, but I'm thankful for the $10 pop

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Market popping on PPI, we are still in there weird space of is this good because inflation is declining or is it bad because it means the economy is contracting.

Given that there is already now a strong assumption of rate cuts takes some of the joy away from the first part and should start to tilt it towards fear of the second.

It's not uncommon for us to fear recessions that never come, in fact it's what we do the majority of the time. There is almost never a time we aren't fretting about a looming recession and only a small proportion of that fear is ever met with actual contraction, but just enough to keep the cycle of always looking for one going.

The Fed is so masterful at fucking things up, probability is normally in favor of them being late...on everything.

Home depot this morning is a great example of the psychology. Demand is bad, stock drops, people then realize that means lower rates, stronger housing and the stock recovers.

QQQ is back at resistance it failed at yesterday failed at last night now we are back at it again, will be watching for how it handles to determine if I jump back in it this morning.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Same store sales at Home Depot down 3.3% yoy. Not surprising but a definite sign that this economy is really tighting up.

Tough to make a call. And as we saw in 2023 we don’t need an actual recession to trigger some big corrections

the rally at the moment being fueled by nvidia and nothing else worries me.

Molten Core Raider
SBUX, Seems like a big move for a CEO change. Maybe INTC could get one of the store managers from CMG to run things for a bit, should be good for a few bucks upwards move?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Selling my monthly covered calls 9/20 on never sell portfolio , all 8/16 calls closed at 0.01 or 0.02
Strikes:
AAPL 240
GOOGL 180
AMZN 185
LOW 260
TSLA 250

Anyone curious about how selling calls works out it's not a ton of money but its pretty consistent. I collected $1,165 in premium that's about the normal level. I shoot for about $1,000 . This is on $196,624 in stock. It works out to about 6% additional income on the capital. Selling calls is always about how far out of the money. If you shoot for 3% return you will rarely get called, At 6% stocks will at times move past your strike. I do manage the buying and selling some people who do this just roll them day of exp and don't worry about where the stock is at the time. I look for opportunities to close once the majority of premium is sucked out of them. I also try to sell them on strong up days but with options have to always remember time is money, waiting for 10 days for a better opportunity may be no gain over just having sold them back at the lower price.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Same store sales at Home Depot down 3.3% yoy. Not surprising but a definite sign that this economy is really tighting up.

Tough to make a call. And as we saw in 2023 we don’t need an actual recession to trigger some big corrections

the rally at the moment being fueled by nvidia and nothing else worries me.

More like Home Depot is gay as shit and I don't know why anyone shops there.

I've got 4 of those types of stores around me and HD is always my last choice for literally anything

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

fris

Vyemm Raider
For personal home repair and weekend jobs, you can pick the supplier based on whatever motivation you want. Nps is a thing.

But I think a larger % of their sales come from contract labor, bigger and consistent. Very competitive, who has the better price and the inventory. Juan doesn't care that you think HD is ghey, he goes there cause studs are 5 cents cheaper and he buys 100+ every morning.

905yr5.jpg

• 2Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Eh, theres lots of good reasons to criticize HD.

On the other hand, I can walk into any HD in the country and know they have the thing I'm looking for (because I know what they carry), and I'll know where to find it (because theyre all set up the same). When you need something right now to fix something thats broken, this is a big consideration.

In contrast, every other hardware or building supply store I've ever visited seems to be designed by the same people that do grocery store layouts. i.e. "why the fuck would you possible put this here?"

fris

Vyemm Raider
i don't know why but I always prefer to go to the Lowes which is right next to the closest HD to me. probably cause HD shares a parking lot w/ Walmart. I could like a dozen common fuckeries i see every time I'm in a walmart parking lot.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity