Investing General Discussion

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Dock workers went on strike at midnight. So far I'm not really sure who all is on strike and unionized. Some companies have their own dock at their facility, no idea if their dock workers are part of the same union or not.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Maybe off thread topic a bit, but for those in hard manufacturing or distribution what would be the real world lag time something like a strike would be noticeable to common folks? My guess is something like 2-4 weeks due to the fact we cycle and store inventory? Or is the goal of any hard production to basically keep inventory at a minimum because storing product on the shelf costs money and produces no revenue?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Reason I asked about company owned docks all refineries and chemical plants own their own dock. Shipping in and out. As far as oil off a freighter I'm not sure how long till they refine it. They have giant tank farms to store oil before it is refined. Stuff like coke is used to make ashalt and a lot of that goes out via freighter. The chemical plants get their feed stokes easily sinfe the refinery is next door. But as far as end product going out I don't know.

The largest port in the country by weight is the port of South Louisiana in Reserve, LA on the river. A lot of grains come down via barge and offloaded and then loaded onto a freighter for shipment. Not sure what their union and strike deal.

My line of work requires US rolled steel for a lot of it. But more and more supplies for equipment such as welding and cutting comes in from out of the country. Even part of Lincoln electric now that makes a big deal about USA this and that is not all USA stuff.

The dock workers turned down a 50% pay increase at the last minute. No idea on time that was over and last I heard a major sticking point is they didn't want any more automation. It's not 1940 anymore, watch some videos of overseas docks the autmation they have in the crane network is light years ahead of the US.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Generally speaking for port, Gulf Coast = very little union involvement. West / East coast = very high union involvement.

Some of the largest ports are still open in the south and they could just reroute there if they have to, but it’ll probably be settled before that happens.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Maybe off thread topic a bit, but for those in hard manufacturing or distribution what would be the real world lag time something like a strike would be noticeable to common folks? My guess is something like 2-4 weeks due to the fact we cycle and store inventory? Or is the goal of any hard production to basically keep inventory at a minimum because storing product on the shelf costs money and produces no revenue?
A while back six sigma was all the rage and they pushed minimal inventories and as needed ordering. Lots of companies still follow this so they have bare minimums on hand to ride out a supply chain interruption. Depending on the industry, you might see impacts in a couple of weeks or less.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
09:35(IR) Senior White House official says US and indications that Iran is preparing to imminently launch a ballistic missile attack against Israel - Axios reporter on 'X' - Source TradeTheNews.com

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
White House Official Says U.S. Is Actively Supporting Defensive Preparations To Defend Israel Against This Attack; A Direct Military Attack From Iran Against Israel Will Carry Severe Consequences For Iran- Reuters

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
A while back six sigma was all the rage and they pushed minimal inventories and as needed ordering. Lots of companies still follow this so they have bare minimums on hand to ride out a supply chain interruption. Depending on the industry, you might see impacts in a couple of weeks or less.
I work in apparel for a medium sized fairly known brand and this is definitely the case in the industry.

any low margin industry selling bulkie items (most cpg) is going to be trying to manage down their on shore inventory and cross dock as much as possible at port to avoid putting stuff through multiple warehouses.

shortages on that stuff could be visible within a few weeks for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Now where have I heard someone calling this market movement in the channel "boring"? Oh, I know. The same person who "hates" ZH. Methinks he doth protest too much. The truth is discovered. Blazin Blazin is Tyler Durden.

1727796717004.png

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Worf
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Markets not puking that much over the Iranian missile attack on Israel right now. I guess it was expected.
The big question mark is will Isreal try to escalate it or get the US involved. We'll be in for some fun times if Iran dumps the ocean full of mines like it did in the 80s and even more cargo ships start sinking.

I was starting to feel good about the price of gasoline too.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The big question mark is will Isreal try to escalate it or get the US involved. We'll be in for some fun times if Iran dumps the ocean full of mines like it did in the 80s and even more cargo ships start sinking.

I was starting to feel good about the price of gasoline too.
The jokes on the ILA then. No one will even care about their silly strike if Iran sinks all the ships.