Investing General Discussion

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
They have. We have around 1,000 clients and 17 were hacked. They sent us the list. We’ve used Fidelity for a while and this is also the first time we’ve had an unauthorized transaction actually end up being a real crime and not just someone forgetting they pulled their own money. Due to the theft, it was investigated and quickly discovered the client’s computer was a cesspool of malware and he’s since destroyed, opened new accounts, and been reimbursed by Fidelity.

sucks

surprised they only took 10k

oh yeah I almost forgot.

they got him by using an email that was REALLY FUCKING WELL DONE. Email was from ‘Fidelity security team’ and looked immaculate. Had the color scheme and everything down.

be careful what you click on, fellows

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
They have. We have around 1,000 clients and 17 were hacked. They sent us the list. We’ve used Fidelity for a while and this is also the first time we’ve had an unauthorized transaction actually end up being a real crime and not just someone forgetting they pulled their own money. Due to the theft, it was investigated and quickly discovered the client’s computer was a cesspool of malware and he’s since destroyed, opened new accounts, and been reimbursed by Fidelity.

sucks

oh yeah I almost forgot.

they got him by using an email that was REALLY FUCKING WELL DONE. Email was from ‘Fidelity security team’ and looked immaculate. Had the color scheme and everything down.

What was the domain of the email?

Furry

🌭🍔🇺🇦✌️SLAVA UKRAINI!✌️🇺🇦🍔🌭
<Gold Donor>

sucks

My mom called me up once asking for help with her antivirus. Go to her house and find out she's installed like 40 different anti-viruses and programs to speed up her PC.

I didn't do much to fix that PC, but I told my dad that if she's ever allowed near anything money, it'd all be stolen immediately. Probably some of my least needed words ever, but I always like to hammer home the obvious points.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
1728651712026.png

This is the fishing email. Pretty good !

1728651964888.jpeg

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

sucks

oh yeah I almost forgot.

So Fidelity wasn't "hacked"? They just had 17k fall for a phishing scam?

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
No, it was hacked. This is a separate fishing scam unrelated. Plus, our average client age is 65 so I’m surprised there’s not more money flying around.

I guess it’s tough for you guys to understand how people can fall for it since you grew up in this world, but you should ask yourself if your parents would fall for it, bc that’s who these Pakistanis are going after. Some of these people can barely complete e signatures without help. It’s like when we were kids and the publishers clearing house was getting our grand pappies to sub to their magazine so they can win millions. They always go after the vulnerable oldies

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No, it was hacked. This is a separate fishing scam unrelated. Plus, our average client age is 65 so I’m surprised there’s not more money flying around.
This is just one of 50 examples of why I preach to everyone to keep their credit files locked. Its no longer about can "I" keep my info safe. We all have to assume every company we deal with is incompetent and will lose your info at some point.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Yes, and add the pain in the ass step of requiring double authentication on your financial apps, especially if you are old and suss.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had a somewhat odd/unsettling thing happen to me about a month ago. I have a free 2 year subscription to one of those identity monitoring services because of a breach at a bank I use and they do all kinds of protection scans and such on the Dark Web, or at least they claim to.

One of them got a hit about a month ago for someone trying to sell an email and password of mine. When I looked at it I was like "Holy shit... that was the password I used for that email... like 15 years ago... but that actually is it. Fuckin hell"

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I had a somewhat odd/unsettling thing happen to me about a month ago. I have a free 2 year subscription to one of those identity monitoring services and they do all kinds of protection scans and such on the Dark Web, or at least they claim to.

One of them got a hit about a month ago for someone trying to sell an email and password of mine. When I looked at it I was like "Holy shit... that was the password I used for that email... like 15 years ago... but that actually is it. Fuckin hell"

I've had like 2-3 of these constantly for so many years now I just get dulled to the whole thing. Constantly getting alerts "UR EMAIL IS ON TEH DARKWEBSSSSSSSS".

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
JPM with a double beat. +5% so far on the day. Welcome to earnings season.
Jpm up on an earnings day is incredibly bullish. Usually they double beat but the stock falls cause Jamie spends the entire call talking about the economy about to implode but if even that isn’t holding us back now the sky is the limit.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Jpm up on an earnings day is incredibly bullish. Usually they double beat but the stock falls cause Jamie spends the entire call talking about the economy about to implode but if even that isn’t holding us back now the sky is the limit.

Well don't be fooled, it just means the markets have completely disconnected from the real economy.

Furry

🌭🍔🇺🇦✌️SLAVA UKRAINI!✌️🇺🇦🍔🌭
<Gold Donor>
I had a somewhat odd/unsettling thing happen to me about a month ago. I have a free 2 year subscription to one of those identity monitoring services because of a breach at a bank I use and they do all kinds of protection scans and such on the Dark Web, or at least they claim to.

Do you have to put your identity and information into those services in order to get "protection"? I always assumed those places made the majority of their money off selling identities.