Investing General Discussion

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looking for a low fee international fund to long term hold to go with my fxaix portfolio. Any suggestions? Maybe FZILX or FTIHX?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looking for a low fee international fund to long term hold to go with my fxaix portfolio. Any suggestions? Maybe FZILX or FTIHX?
I think intl funds blow personally but IXUS is probably your answer.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I think intl funds blow personally but IXUS is probably your answer.
Ya.. The returns seem to suck but maybe I’m being to traditional in my diversification.. Tbh if the us stonk market crashes to the point of no rebound then I have bigger things to worry about.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ya.. The returns seem to suck but maybe I’m being to traditional in my diversification.. Tbh if the us stonk market crashes to the point of no rebound then I have bigger things to worry about.
I did the intl route in the past. There are legit periods that it can run, but it can also crash in an instant. It's even more of a house of cards than US equities. IMHO the return isn't worth the risk.

Since you are using the S&P as the core holding, you can try to add a little IWM to get some exposure to small and mid caps. Probably better investment than intl funds.

Or alternatively, add a position of ITOT which is the total US market. It's like buying the S&P with a little IWM sprinkled in. This allows you to continue adding to the core with every purchase but adding a small taste of smalls/mid as well.

Full disclosure: I use this tactic myself. SPLG is my core, but I also hold a much smaller position in ITOT. The net fee for ITOT is like a penny or two above free.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You always see that chart that has a couple decades on it and which asset class performed best. In the past, there were some where international was very near the top.

My thing is, think about the last decade and a half. When the US economy goes in the shitter, how does the international economy go? I feel like the days of segregated markets are over. If the US goes, everyone goes with it. And so far, it seems like the rest of the world gets it worse than we do. Yeah, maybe I don't get the Sony's and Nestles, but so fucking what?

Untitled.png

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You always see that chart that has a couple decades on it and which asset class performed best. In the past, there were some where international was very near the top.

My thing is, think about the last decade and a half. When the US economy goes in the shitter, how does the international economy go? I feel like the days of segregated markets are over. If the US goes, everyone goes with it. And so far, it seems like the rest of the world gets it worse than we do. Yeah, maybe I don't get the Sony's and Nestles, but so fucking what?

View attachment 503423
Fucking Emerging Market funds and the people who push them can eat a bag of dicks.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Bro, Africa will be an economic super power by 2050. Their GDP is growing by 800%!!!!

Reminds me of when I worked for BellSouth international. The Argentine Peso collapsed by more than 2/3 and our subsidiaries obviously tanked along with it. But because everyone's analysis time horizons were so short six months later they were celebrating massive proportional growth during the tepid recovery despite not regaining revenue parity in USD for like five years. I'd go into meetings asking, "Am I the only one here who remembers January?" and just get blank stares.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Reminds me of when I worked for BellSouth international. The Argentine Peso collapsed by more than 2/3 and our subsidiaries obviously tanked along with it. But because everyone's analysis time horizons were so short six months later they were celebrating massive proportional growth during the tepid recovery despite not regaining revenue parity in USD for like five years. I'd go into meetings asking, "Am I the only one here who remembers January?" and just get blank stares.
Bell-shaped heads were called that for a reason. Where did you work when you were with BS Intl? Atlanta?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I think the market is rigged to make me look good, just because I buy something doesn't mean I expect it to instantly climb though that seems to keep happening.

SPY needs to get over yesterday's high which would negate the engulfing candle. IWM looks to me like it's set up well sometime in the next week to make the next leg higher. Likely on a day that the NASDAQ needs to take breather. Days that SPY and QQQ are strong IWM is likely to underperform what I"m looking for is weekly outperformance, will require a degree of patience because IWM can move a lot more in a day than the big stuff and it can right underperformance in just one session.

Looking for a test of 198 range as my next re evaluate level.

I had hoped for more weakness but when you see days like yesterday where the bears show they are completely freaking inept you have to adjust expectations. Always watching for a behavior/sentiment change and right now it's just not there. To me that means that those who are most bearish are still caught outside the market, and they are only bearish because of FOMO and resentment ie they want in. In these environments you get little to no pullbacks of any size just grinding that frustration.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
A few retirement account questions..

1. Im mid 30s. My 401k currently is 100% vanguard 2065 target date fund. Should I just keep parking my contributions here or do my own asset allocation?

2. I don’t qualify for a Roth IRA due to being above the MAGI bracket. My employer does have a mega back door Roth IRA option. Is this something I should be looking into?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Today could be another monster IWM day with QQQ red to flat. If it runs too much prior to open, puts this at risk but the set up is there

• 1To the Moon!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
My 2 cents - I would rather you index the market as a whole vs a target date fund, they just seem to lag a bit behind. There should be a vanguard S&P in that bad boy.

I love Roth, but I’ve never been a fan of converting at 24% taxes over qualified contributions, but there’s some math out there that says you still should. I just prefer saving the taxes now, making traditional contributions, and praying the brackets are not horrible in 25 years. They’re both good choices and make peace that you’re saving, which is the most important thing - the answer to which way isn’t always black and white.

• 4Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My 2 cents - I would rather you index the market as a whole vs a target date fund, they just seem to lag a bit behind. There should be a vanguard S&P in that bad boy.
Just to clarify the 2065 is about ~50% S&P 500. My biggest issue with the target funds is their inclusion of international stocks and bonds which account for about 40%.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not only that, but they're going to force you into an asset allocation that's way too conservative much earlier than you would like (shifting into more bonds).

It's one of those things that makes fuckall sense about what used to be the common wisdom of retirement (I think it was 120 minus your age in bonds). If you retire at 60 and need your money to last 30 years, why the fuck would you start dumping more into bonds? You still need a lot of growth to get you there. 30 years is a long time.

• 4Like