Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Full disclosure: I once posted a screenshot with one of invest account numbers on it. Yes, I am stupid.
It was at least twice, I think I remember others catching it on ones I didn’t IM you about haha

1703104504187.png

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I like ideas in general and have taken some from here and incorporated them into my own strategies, but the more day tradey something is, the less meaningful I find it.

Given that, you should understand the difference between someone saying they like Pltr at 8 (long term) vs sold my pltr lot at 12, (short term profits), but I can see how it could be confusing.

would the solution be to make a day traders shit show fiesta thread and keep the long term general one? Probably not. People will learn what’s what on a long enough timeline and dum dums would still get confused reading both threads and make the mistakes we all had to make to get slightly decent at stonks.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I rebalance a lot for clients and the day tradey stuff does give me ideas sometimes on sector direction, so it’s got some good info for sure. I just prefer when people talk about companies or macro things

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I like ideas in general and have taken some from here and incorporated them into my own strategies, but the more day tradey something is, the less meaningful I find it.

Given that, you should understand the difference between someone saying they like Pltr at 8 (long term) vs sold my pltr lot at 12, (short term profits), but I can see how it could be confusing.

would the solution be to make a day traders shit show fiesta thread and keep the long term general one? Probably not. People will learn what’s what on a long enough timeline and dum dums would still get confused reading both threads and make the mistakes we all had to make to get slightly decent at stonks.
I think Jysin Jysin might be the closest we have to a day trader. Most of us are long term investors who also swing trade. My definition of swing trading is getting in and then getting out in a week/month/months timeframe. For example, my UNP trade I closed out today was about 10 weeks hold time.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just sold my positions in MP and RUM. Both had spent the last month getting into the mostly green so with that close I'm taking the risk off the table since both stocks are highly volatile. Sold in the after hours market. Both were less than 1% of my portfolio.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
There’s no need to split the thread up or make it private.

Thinking you’ll get doxxed for posting trades is some paranoid boomer shit.

You’re more likely to get doxxed posting a square inch of your lawn.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
There’s no need to split the thread up or make it private.

Thinking you’ll get doxxed for posting trades is some paranoid boomer shit.

You’re more likely to get doxxed posting a square inch of your lawn.
Seriously this. I’ve been more concerned about getting doxxed from home improvement threads and the like. Some autist will analyze the chem trails and star formations in my picture background to locate me or some crazy shit

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So ends up I can mega backdoor Roth 401k at my employer. After talking with my financial advisor he recommends just maxing these out asap and since my expenses are so low that we just sell bonds if I need money the 3-4 months of the year.

kinda bummed. My lil fun portfolio will have to take to the backburner.. I will say the vanguard 2065 target date fund in my 401k is slaying it at +17.95% ytd pretax return. Seems pretty good right? Not sure I could beat that throwing it into my own mix of 2-4 funds.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It’s amazing how my spending perspective has changed since having my own portfolio a few weeks now. When I see something I “want” I now weigh it against alternatively buying more of a fund I also want. Wish I had done this earlier in life.. Better late than never.

Im really liking QQQM but don’t really like the 15 basis point ER for long term holding 😔. Sub 10 would be preferred.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
There’s nothing wrong with the target date, but if you take it one step further and ask yourself where will growth be over the next 10 years, then what is the answer?

No one knows, but if you’re right on 2/3 sectors, then you can buy those funds (if your plan has things like VGT available) and really get your schlong going. I do something like target the sectors with 50% of my moneys and just buy the market as a whole with the rest as a hedge against my stupidity.

Going with tech, communication, and healthcare. If I can nail 2/3, then win. If you see something like a cataclysmic drop in a sector you believe in, then overweight your % and see if you can catch it at a good time.

You have to do the research a little on what your plan has for options, and if you don’t feel like doing all that crap, then just target date it lol

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
My lil fun portfolio will have to take to the backburner.. I will say the vanguard 2065 target date fund in my 401k is slaying it at +17.95% ytd pretax return. Seems pretty good right? Not sure I could beat that throwing it into my own mix of 2-4 funds.
This is the right question to ask, and I think the answer might surprise you. Let's take a look at this Vanguard 2065 fund. Below is its composition (e.g. these are the 4 "funds" that the target retirement fund has picked and their relative weights)
1703162912277.png

So Vanguard funds for - Domestic Stocks (VSMPX): 54%. International Stocks (VGTSX): 36.3%. Domestic Bonds (VTBIX): 6.9%. International Bonds (VTILX): 2.8%.

Let's look at the performance of each of those:
FundYTD ReturnsWeightingYTD Contribution (Returns x Weighting)
Domestic Stocks (VSMPX)24.02%54.0%12.9708%
International Stocks (VGTSX)12.09%36.3%4.38867%
Domestic Bonds (VTBIX)5.26%6.9%0.36294%
International Bonds (VTILX)9.15%2.8%0.2562%
Total17.97861%

Boy, it looks like those Domestic Stocks are really killing it. Does Vanguard have some secret blend that is allowing it to achieve this incredible performance?

No, it's basically just the S&P500:
1703164285009.png

So Vanguard took your money, invested some of it in the S&P500(ish), and then put some in international stocks and bonds which had a lower return.

So if you really wanted to outperform the retirement fund, you could have picked ONE thing yourself--SPY (the S&P500 ETF), and gotten an extra 5% this year.

That said, I'm not saying Vanguard 2065 is garbage. Setting international aside, those bond funds making 5.26% and 9.15% aren't necessarily "underperforming", they are just much less risky than stocks and therefore are providing a lower return as a result. On a risk-adjusted basis, they're probably performing fine relative to the S&P 500. If the market had collapsed instead of blown up this year (see 2022), those stable single percentage gains from the bond funds would still have been there, and you would have come out a huge winner. The 2065 fund probably handily outperformed S&P500 last year, but on average it will return less.

It is you, as an investor, that has said "I want a lower risk profile, and therefore I am willing to take a lower return by investing my money in safer but lower return assets".

Unless you are in the 50+ age range, I think this is a massively detrimental position to take and will have enormously negative impacts on your long-term wealth.

For idiots like me who can't play fucking Geometry Wars with price charts, my single largest earnings potential is my ability to absorb higher risk due to my (relative, 35ish here) youth + financial situation (money you can invest and never need to draw on until retirement) and reap the larger expected returns that this brings. Your risk profile now is what will define your long-term wealth. You could buy nothing but 20-year Treasuries, earn 4% for the rest of your life, and from a risk-efficiency perspective, you would have a perfect score. But obviously, you would have left what I expect will be literal millions of dollars on the table by not taking full advantage of your ability to absorb short-term risk.

Back off my soapbox and on Vanguard: That bond mix is only going to increase each year. This is what the 2030 retirement fund looks like now:
1703165434688.png

So now is the time to decide if you want to be in bonds at this stage of your life. Maybe so! But I would bet if you're looking 35 years out for retirement, you'd rather be risking more to make more unless you truly have a use case for an "stable" 10% of your portfolio, or you have a thesis about a coming crisis.

So basically:
  1. The fund is doing well because everything is doing well
  2. You could very easily have gotten a higher RETURN yourself by taking on more RISK. Stocks vs. bonds is the quintessential question here.
  3. Now is the time to decide what you want to do with respect to #2
  4. If you read "more risk" and immediately think about 300% returns on Life Bank Corp or buying near-expiry options for pennies on the dollar, stick with your financial adviser.
This is long enough, so I'll save my thesis on domestic vs international stocks for another time.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The big problem is the financial illiteracy of investors. The funds package up the same trash and give it fancy names and people have no idea what's in it but it's name "sounds right" so they buy it and end up with subpar returns.

The more you actually learn about investing, the more you see what scumbags "professional investment people" really are. Almost, I say almost every single investor under the age of 40 (maybe even 50 but I will be conservative) will get the best long term return by being 100% invested in the S&P index. All of them. But there's no money in that for the pros.

Investing 101 for dummies: buy the SPY, keep buying the SPY, reinvest dividends, don't look at it for 30 years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still like total market funds (VTSAX for Vanguard, or FSKAX for Fidelity). You get the small caps that the S&P misses. Now, small caps have performed like shit since covid, but if you're making a bet on the US economy and not just the tech stocks, it makes sense to me.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My issue with small caps over the very long periods is that is has a bias for losers in the same fashion the S&P has bias for winners. Small firms grow and succeed they leave the small caps and enter the large. The S&P contains every large successful company and it always will. Small caps includes a lot of failures. The only thing small caps offer is large alpha of rapid growth as companies move towards the larger market caps. Companies taking forever to go public hurts this.

I like it at times for a trade but I don't know that I want to own any sizable amount of it over decades. I think structural shifts have created a dynamic of systemic underperformance.

..edit There are 300-400 Zombie companies in the Russell these are companies that dont currently generate enough cash flow to meet their debt obligations

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I still like total market funds (VTSAX for Vanguard, or FSKAX for Fidelity). You get the small caps that the S&P misses. Now, small caps have performed like shit since covid, but if you're making a bet on the US economy and not just the tech stocks, it makes sense to me.
You probably wont get shit on for picking small caps, or total market, or tech over S&P. Infact, I own small cap and nasdaq style ETFs myself. The S&P is kinda just your stocks meat and potatoes, since all the companies are good, reliable, diversified, and have a very long track record of success. If anything goes screwy, there's a strong chance its worse for a more specialized ETF like small caps or Tech, and the completely absence of filtration means it will generally beat total market in a lot of situations too.

Tech has done really well for the past 20 years, and I keep a pretty sizeable chunk of money in that too. I wouldn't call any of these investments bad at all. The S&P probably just is the all around best bet for the average investor with a decades timeline if you were forced to pick just one.