Investing General Discussion

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I feel like we’ve reached a spot in the market, this all time high cautious choices territory , where earnings matter more than some other times like recoveries. Must be a lot of pressure on these high level managers knowing that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
From the ones to watch the guys in Fusion Elite were talking about:

CRM: down after earnings
SNOW: WAAAAY down after earnings
MARA: down bigly
OKTA: up like 19% last I saw

I just wish I wasn't west coast so markets open at 6am for me. Their ORB strats are no good for me unless I want to get up at 5am :(

Same boat. I've missed all kinds of shit because fuck waking up at 5a. If I added it up, I'm sure I've lost several thousand dollars over the last year because I refuse to get up that early.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, no idea how west coast traders cope. Ideally want to be on EST. Upside trading here in the UK is markets open at 2:30pm. Downside is it closes at 9pm. Makes for long evenings and tough to turn your brain off immediately after to wind down.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wouldn’t consider myself a full time trader, but I live in PST and eventually got used to waking up early as fuck since I work with a lot of euros. It did suck ass at first but like anything in life I got used to it, and yes it does fucking rock being done around 1500 or so! Feel like I have my whole day to do shit.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yea, no idea how west coast traders cope. Ideally want to be on EST. Upside trading here in the UK is markets open at 2:30pm. Downside is it closes at 9pm. Makes for long evenings and tough to turn your brain off immediately after to wind down.

Worked out well for the Omaha guy.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Sold off 76k of Goog today. 2 month hold only a slight 3% gain. Just can’t stomach holding it anymore. Seems like it’s on a downward trend compared with meta, Amazon and Msft and I think their hold on consumers is relatively weak compared with the competition.

Debating holding the cash for now or getting back in on something else.

• 4Tendies
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm going to buy some SNOW on this dip.

I have another MTTR port trade to lose money on. I'm buying UI, my entire network is now set up with Ubiquiti and I really like this companies products. The bad as I see it is that the CEO is little of a show boat, offset by the fact he is young and still holds nearly 90% of the company. Still so small compared to CSCO but there is a very big TAM for this company to grow into. Lose money at your own risk.

I continue to just sit on what I own and poke at adding here and there. I added some SBUX and GOOGL since I last updated.

Holdings with cost basis:
SBUX @ 95
AMZN @ 173
XLE @ 85
DIS @ 89
LOW @ 213
IJS @ 96
QQQ @ 300
IWM @ 173
GOOGL @ 140
UI @ 118
RSP @ 158
XLF @ 37.75
XLV @ 139
TSLA @ 187
AAPL @ 181.50
FBTC @ 41

Biggest Gainers:
QQQ 45%
FBTC 31.5%
DIS 25%
IWM 17%
LOW 12.5%

Don't really have anything in the red at the moment, Apple is down 1%

• 4Tendies
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

I have another MTTR port trade to lose money on. I'm buying UI, my entire network is now set up with Ubiquiti and I really like this companies products. The bad as I see it is that the CEO is little of a show boat, offset by the fact he is young and still holds nearly 90% of the company. Still so small compared to CSCO but there is a very big TAM for this company to grow into. Lose money at your own risk.

I continue to just sit on what I own and poke at adding here and there. I added some SBUX and GOOGL since I last updated.

SBUX @ 95
AMZN @ 173
XLE @ 85
DIS @ 89
LOW @ 213
IJS @ 96
QQQ @ 300
IWM @ 173
GOOGL @ 140
UI @ 118
RSP @ 158
XLF @ 37.75
XLV @ 139
TSLA @ 187
AAPL @ 181.50
FBTC @ 41

Biggest Gainers:
QQQ 45%
FBTC 31.5%
DIS 25%
IWM 17%
LOW 12.5%

Given how garbage cisco is. Ubiquiti is a smart long play

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sold off 76k of Goog today. 2 month hold only a slight 3% gain. Just can’t stomach holding it anymore. Seems like it’s on a downward trend compared with meta, Amazon and Msft and I think their hold on consumers is relatively weak compared with the competition.

Debating holding the cash for now or getting back in on something else.

They will be eating the Gemini backlash for a while. They will announce in 8 weeks that they fixed it but in 48 hours someone is going to break it anyways making them look like retards when it comes to AI

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

SBUX @ 95
AMZN @ 173
XLE @ 85
DIS @ 89
LOW @ 213
IJS @ 96
QQQ @ 300
IWM @ 173
GOOGL @ 140
UI @ 118
RSP @ 158
XLF @ 37.75
XLV @ 139
TSLA @ 187
AAPL @ 181.50
FBTC @ 41

Biggest Gainers:
QQQ 45%
FBTC 31.5%
DIS 25%
IWM 17%
LOW 12.5%

UI is a smart move. I have a UniFi commercial grade network setup that’s overkill and I love it. Every person I recommend amplifi to loves the product. I may buy as well

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

SBUX @ 95
AMZN @ 173
XLE @ 85
DIS @ 89
LOW @ 213
IJS @ 96
QQQ @ 300
IWM @ 173
GOOGL @ 140
UI @ 118
RSP @ 158
XLF @ 37.75
XLV @ 139
TSLA @ 187
AAPL @ 181.50
FBTC @ 41

Biggest Gainers:
QQQ 45%
FBTC 31.5%
DIS 25%
IWM 17%
LOW 12.5%

Dipping my toes. In alignment on potential of UI and SNOW seems like kneejerkers bringing it down.

edit - I wanna hold UI for 2-5 years. SNOW, not sure

IMG_6055.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1To the Moon!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
UI seems like it would have a very uphill battle challenging the established players with their vast channel partner networks in the enterprise space, and the prosumer networking space is never going to get bigger than it is now.

• 1Beagling

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The EM portion of my managed portfolio on its way into the week getting ready to crush it.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

SBUX @ 95
AMZN @ 173
XLE @ 85
DIS @ 89
LOW @ 213
IJS @ 96
QQQ @ 300
IWM @ 173
GOOGL @ 140
UI @ 118
RSP @ 158
XLF @ 37.75
XLV @ 139
TSLA @ 187
AAPL @ 181.50
FBTC @ 41

Biggest Gainers:
QQQ 45%
FBTC 31.5%
DIS 25%
IWM 17%
LOW 12.5%

You have anymore thoughts on SNOW outside of buying because dip? What sort of time horizon are you thinking on it? Would you sell at a certain % increase? I’m considering buying more today if it opens around 186

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
You have anymore thoughts on SNOW outside of buying because dip? What sort of time horizon are you thinking on it? Would you sell at a certain % increase? I’m considering buying more today if it opens around 186
5-6yrs The dip helped I've been watching it for a while was just way too high after IPO . Companies at this stage can be difficult buys because sometime this decade they will transition from hyper growth at any cost to a move towards profitability.

They need to keep the rev growth going, the 100% yoY stuff is over , they need years of it staying above 25-30% YoY. They keep the growth up I will continue to hold. They slow to a market average rate of growth and I will bail. I want to see 10-15B in Rev by end of decade, the TAM is there for them to do that.

I would not yet consider it "high conviction" on my part, I want to see them stabilize the rev growth at the needed level. is it value at this level? Absolutely not, but sadly it's very rare to be able to buy fast growing companies at reasonable levels. I would love this thing at a 30-40B valuation but that isn't going to happen and if it did you shouldn't touch it.

Nvidia is a good example of "No way I'm buying a Price to sales near 30" well that was about 300% ago. Growth is expensive because you are betting on companies becoming a lot bigger. You can find companies growing rev at 8% a year with no hopes of becoming far more than they are today and their valuation metrics will show that. Doesn't mean you can't own them, but for long term investing you want companies that can substantively grow much much larger hundreds of percent. And you only need one or two of these to work in a lifetime to make a lot of money.

I have failed at this too many times in the past decade, with Netflix with Amazon, with Apple. All names I have made tens and hundreds of thousands on over the years but reality is I was wrong to take profits when I did. Far too easy to say hogs get slaughtered when reality is the market rewards the patient.

I did manage to hold almost every big success name at it's early stages I would get awed by some 30-40% gain and sell. I remember selling significant apple position after the initial iphone run up. Yes it's hindsight but I have gone back and looked that had I just been more patient with that apple position and never did another thing else I would have Cad levels of money. I bought because I saw the potential and I invested heavy and I did very well in 2009 and...I sold. Warren sent me a "son i'm disappoint" postcard.

I'm going through another transition as an investor, I have let my risk aversion side become too dominant and I need to let my doggedly consistent patient turtle side have more room at the table, and maybe I needed to make a few million to have the peace to do that. Every person and journey is unique.

Hope that helps.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
my roth ira has a sizeable chunk now, i'm considering being more aggressive with this account. I have a tiny brokerage that i'll probably never really mess with. i have a standard 401k that's much bigger than my roth ira. given the tax advantages of my roth, how can I take advantage? For those with a majority in a standard brokerage, and thus having to consider tax implications, how would you act differently if you didn't need to consider taxes? obviously, i'm not doing any tax loss harvesting. do you make trades where you preference events that fall under capital gains vs standard taxable events?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
my roth ira has a sizeable chunk now, i'm considering being more aggressive with this account. I have a tiny brokerage that i'll probably never really mess with. i have a standard 401k that's much bigger than my roth ira. given the tax advantages of my roth, how can I take advantage? For those with a majority in a standard brokerage, and thus having to consider tax implications, how would you act differently if you didn't need to consider taxes? obviously, i'm not doing any tax loss harvesting. do you make trades where you preference events that fall under capital gains vs standard taxable events?
I think it just plays into where you choose to hold an investment but not whether you wanted to make that investment. A strong divy player would perform better in an IRA than a brokerage. A brokerage is great for a high growth stock that could see significant price improvement but would still be better to be held in a tax shelter. Something you plan to hold for less than a year is probably better off in an IRA. In some scenarios a LT hold in a brokerage can be better off than an Trad iRA with taxes as nuts as that is. We always say "grow tax free" in a shelter, well holding a stock for decades is also "tax free" growth and in the end you're going to pay LT capital gains rather than as regular income with the trad ira.

I also place higher risk trades in Roth because if they hit I will benefit the most by them being there vs even a trad ira or 401k. If you look at say holding a great name for 15-20 yrs that goes up 600% its going to make a very big difference what type of account it was held in.

A few years back I had a rollover IRA that I really wanted to convert to a Roth so I made my riskiest trades in it because I figured well if this doesn't hit and goes down, then great i'll save on the conversion and just earn the money back in the better shelter. Point being is that there is probably no one answer but that yes it should be a consideration when choosing to make an investment.

• 2Like