Investing General Discussion

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Promising big and early Blazin Blazin . Hover cars. I don’t even doubt he will deliver on it in the next 6 years.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Yowza. Anyone still holding?
SmartSelect_20240319_084828_Webull.jpg

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am! But only 100 shares because of the split. Cost basis around 6 something

• 2To the Moon!
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Powell before congress, inflation is on track to 2% target. cpi, ppi after testifying came in higher than expected. UK ppi and cpi both came in below expectations.

I doubt we get a hike at this time but with that I see a delay in cuts, if only until the next meeting.

Higher for longer yada yada... the only real question is how does the market react?

The market wants to continue being bullish, they want the s&p at 5400.

I really want a pullback but I just don't see it happening. This mediocre range we've been in is about the best we're gonna get, which really sucks.

With yesterday's rally, a lot of people are going to be chasing as well, doing the smart thing and waiting for confirmation.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No cut till closer to election time, duh.
At this point, cutting closer to the election does nothing. It takes at least 6-9 months for fed policy to actually impact people. If this was just purely politically driven, they would be cutting now to get more housing starts and business investment rolling now so it can be full bore by the end of summer.

Having expected politically juicing the election, I'm honestly surprised they did not cut.

• 1NPC

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think the fact we aren’t getting another small rate hike to rein in the markets is the best we can expect. Housing starts were still solid, the fed is bailing out any bank that shows weakness and construction is still at full blast and has been for 4 years. Cutting rate doesn’t do anything for housing starts when it’s already basically maxed out due to labor supply constraints.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Resident Fed Whisperer, Jysin Jysin , thoughts?

Feels like J Pow basically said he doesn’t give a shit about financial conditions being too loose, so risk on.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The biggest shock was raising the fed funds long term rate.

While the market did see a massive jump, I'm not so sure this is exactly as bullish as it appears to be.

Powell left a lot up to the future and can change directions based on data but... I'm not so sure this is a good thing in the long run.

Even higher yields and increasing amounts of treasuries needing to be sold. While it's great semis are making record profits off big tech cash, I'm not so sure this is good for the consumer in any way.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The biggest shock was raising the fed funds long term rate.

While the market did see a massive jump, I'm not so sure this is exactly as bullish as it appears to be.

Powell left a lot up to the future and can change directions based on data but... I'm not so sure this is a good thing in the long run.

Even higher yields and increasing amounts of treasuries needing to be sold. While it's great semis are making record profits off big tech cash, I'm not so sure this is good for the consumer in any way.
It makes my stonks go greener really faster so I’m down with it. Then again I don’t need a video game computer.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My take is, buckle up for inflation round 2.
I mean, everyone was saying to look at the 70's. The Fed ignored it. They tried the same thing back then, over and over, "looks like we beat it...oh shit, no, it's even worse this next go around."

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I mean, everyone was saying to look at the 70's. The Fed ignored it. They tried the same thing back then, over and over, "looks like we beat it...oh shit, no, it's even worse this next go around."
What eventually happened in that scenario?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
And then it eventually recovered?
also if you held cash instead of stocks you lost 50% of your money in real terms instead of just having a decade of being flat in real terms.

I also think that if the 2020s end up being an inflationary period similar to the 70s that US tech is far better positioned than it was to continue to deliver real returns, the 70s was a perfect storm of inflation and massively eroding competitive advantage in most US sectors.

• 1Like