Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Resident Fed Whisperer, Jysin Jysin , thoughts?

Feels like J Pow basically said he doesn’t give a shit about financial conditions being too loose, so risk on.

My take is, buckle up for inflation round 2.
1711051460782.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Except we're actually living in the opposite. Survey data shows a significant higher-than-normal amount of people think their personal financial situation is better than it's ever been, but think the wider economy is bad, mostly because the media (and especially social media) keeps giving off bad vibes about the wider economy.

You always talk about data without the sauce. I wonder why that is.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You always talk about data without the sauce. I wonder why that is.
Consistent across many economic surveys for at least a year, including data the various regional Fed branches look at. The Fed aggregates this data from many sources. Feel free to "do your own research." There's no point in linking data on the internet anymore, people always choose their own facts.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Typical leftist believes everything coming out of the white house right now because its their preferred party. Never mind that the data points have been changed and the data points being used to say "everything is great!", they still showed that "everything is great!" in the middle of the COVID lockdown.

But it doesnt matter to argue with anyone about it. If they cant see that the dollars value is fucking shit right now, then its obvious that no amount of evidence will change their opinion.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Feel free to "do your own research." There's no point in linking data on the internet anymore, people always choose their own facts.

Bad faith posts inspire gaming weekends you annoying faggot.

Posts with sauce is the point of this thread. If you can't do the bare minimum don't bother posting.

• 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Mist if you can't resist being a piece of shit in this thread I'll make it so you can only see the pol section and nothing else.

Get it together.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Consistent across many economic surveys for at least a year, including data the various regional Fed branches look at. The Fed aggregates this data from many sources. Feel free to "do your own research." There's no point in linking data on the internet anymore, people always choose their own facts.

Like you’ve done with your data. It’s bullshit. You are part of the “best economy ever” clown crowd and then believe the opposite about how it’s being propagandized because you’re, at heart, a death cult communist.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are people really arguing if the made up economic numbers are correct and everything is fine even though the cost of everything went up 50% in 2 years?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Are people really arguing if the made up economic numbers are correct and everything is fine even though the cost of everything went up 50% in 2 years?

Not fine Palum, "better"

mist: "Survey data shows a significant higher-than-normal amount of people think their personal financial situation is better than it's ever been"

read this over again to try to parse the insanity and oh man the mealy mouth phrasing - wonder what it could be that caused a SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER THAN NORMAL amount of PEOPLE to THINK their PERSONAL FINANCIAL SITUATION is much better THAN ITS EVER BEEN

Geee I wonder if there's a SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER THAN NORMAL amount of PEOPLE that entered the fucking country illegally over the last half decade /facepalm

the government data aggregates would never right guys???

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rich people, anyone who makes 150k or less a year knows that shit is bad right now.
The first year and some change of retirement was looking rough. It's definitely feeling good at the moment. Just with the first 3 months of the year we've made more than enough to cover the next two years of expenses.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 3 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since SPIR got brought up recently…..

it did pullback but I managed to sell a 25$ strike CC with 4/19 expiry for about 65$(0.65). So if you do own that stock still you can sell some way OTM calls for a decent profit. I figured if it hits 25$ I’d be happy to sell, otherwise why turn that down. Up until a few days ago I’ve been nervous to sell CC because of fear I’d get called on a longer term hold or the stock was teetering on my cost basis and it wasn’t worth it due to shit premiums.

anyway, get in on the volatility while it lasts

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's definitely some kind of psychedelic euphoria going on with Americans at large. Mist isn't wrong that most people seem to be fine with spending while also creating large sums of debt, all while "feeling good" about it.

And spending it on frivolous things. Before Covid a lot of the private golf and country clubs around here were struggling, offering stupid deals to attract new members. When Covid hit Golf was one of the few leisure activities that was not shut down and there was a huge influx of new members to the point most clubs have wait lists, even now.

My club went from being $2500 initiation in 2018 to $30k now, and went from ~240 members to 320 members with a 20 person waitlist, even at that inflated price... today.

That's fucking insane when I consider how I feel like my money gets me far less now than it did even 2 years ago. This market did not create that much higher end affluence. It didn't suddenly create a huge market for outrageous leisure spending when the market was already on a big run.

So what's actually going on?

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Long term ramifications of dumping an ungodly amount of money into the system all the while interest rates where at near zero? Even with what they've been raised to now interest rates are still pretty low historically speaking.

Also don't ignore the massive increase in illegal immigration the past 3 years which has caused a surge in demand for every basic staple. Those illegals aren't starving to death or dying from sickness. We're feeding and caring for everyone, none who are productive paying taxes.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first year and some change of retirement was looking rough. It's definitely feeling good at the moment. Just with the first 3 months of the year we've made more than enough to cover the next two years of expenses.
Glad to hear it man. You had some precarious timing for retirement. Stay the course amigo!

• 2Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's definitely some kind of psychedelic euphoria going on with Americans at large. Mist isn't wrong that most people seem to be fine with spending while also creating large sums of debt, all while "feeling good" about it.

And spending it on frivolous things. Before Covid a lot of the private golf and country clubs around here were struggling, offering stupid deals to attract new members. When Covid hit Golf was one of the few leisure activities that was not shut down and there was a huge influx of new members to the point most clubs have wait lists, even now.

My club went from being $2500 initiation in 2018 to $30k now, and went from ~240 members to 320 members with a 20 person waitlist, even at that inflated price... today.

That's fucking insane when I consider how I feel like my money gets me far less now than it did even 2 years ago. This market did not create that much higher end affluence. It didn't suddenly create a huge market for outrageous leisure spending when the market was already on a big run.

technically taking on debt during periods of insanely high inflation/hyperinflation is good, because that debt costs less to pay back, but yes there are tons of people I know doing this in a bad way. I’ve cut back on a ton just waiting all of this out because I’m actually nervous about the next 2-3 years

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If the dollar drops, imports and anything priced globally like oil, even if produced entirely domestically, will go up.

If more tariffs get put in place, that's even more CPI inflation on common imports.

But other than those two scenarios, where's the inflation pressure going to come from? Inflation has known causes: increased M2 money supply, cheap lending, and trade costs.
Inflation has one source, money printing. I'm tempted to implement a rule that anyone who says otherwise gets a thread ban because we can't even begin a rational discussion with people running around saying something the equivalent of the earth is flat. Be better Mist.

...edit I responded before catching up on thread to see others jumping on you for saying stupid shit. Sorry to pile on!

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Jysin I was thinking about this exact guy this morning, just as an anecdote because I got a chuckle thinking about reading a future SVen post at S&P 500 8000 talking about how wrong the market is for constantly doing the wrong thing and going up. He is one of those guys with valid concerns but he is very good at seeing the "bad" and is completely blind to the "good". He ignores significant market forces in favor of others. He is a good example of a guy I don't understand how he makes it all other than profiteering off fear. He has missed every rally for years and years. He will occasionally make a snarky "I bet this stupid rigged market goes up" style posts that he will then point to as his "I was bullish all along" cover.

The government needs inflation, it needs as much inflation as the population will tolerate without uprising. It's the magic answer that is always there that people seem to constantly be blind to. "How is the govt ever going to pay this debt!" We have heard that for generations, and the government has shown time and time again the HOW. They are going to print their way out of it. The govt will borrow money from you today and pay you back with a devalued dollar in the future. It's not all doom and gloom the secret sauce remains keeping economic growth moving forward to help absorb the inflation impact.

I am someone who is very concerned for the future, but I also have learned enough to be careful not to let my concerns run a muck. What if we go through a period of significantly higher GDP growth. Rarely does anyone consider that possibility. Technological change can move things beyond what seems possible from our current perspective. I may not be able to say how that will happen anymore than a man sitting at the birth of the industrial revolution could have. But if it does happen we will be able to look back and go "oh..that's how"

I'll end my random rambling on this, the people who see the inflationary pressures are oft the exact same people afraid of equities. In reality that is the guy you should pass running with all his money to buy more stonks. Instead the guy talking endlessly about govt easing and inflation sits in cash like a god damn moron, as the tide rises and he drowns he'll be yelling "told you this would happen!" as the people who moved to higher ground watch him sink below the surface.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blazin Blazin
Been saying this for some time in my trade circles. The only way out of the debt problem is to inflate it away.

Makes sense on a government level, corporate level, as well as personal level. It just absolutely fucks anyone sitting in cash. I wish I had thrown more into hard assets like houses & land in March 2020. I too severely underestimated the money printing.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users