Investing

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
haha, yeah. Could you imagine if you had invested in Apple 10 years ago? Hindsight is a bitch.
If I'd invested all of my high school graduation money into Apple stock instead of a computer I used for 4 years, I'd be sitting on $30k... Hindsight is expensive.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
100 years, 10% average return, 20% standard deviation
This is what to expect.

From all the data of all stock markets over the entire world and entire recorded history of these markets, thats what you get. 10%/year, 20% standard deviation.

Anything significantly different and you are either very lucky, very unlucky, fraudulent or doing some insider trading. Sorry you are not a genius.
Assuming of course you are not dumb enough to pay too much in fees/advice or use to much leverage.

One line equals one year of your life investing. As you can see 7 years is too short a time period to have any confidence in your edge.

PS its fucking hard and a fools game to look out of for 'bear raids' or downswings in a market that only goes up. If you want to try some timing, the best way to do it is to wait until the whole world is shit scared of investing, and the markets are crashing. Miley Cyrus has been pushed off the front page of the weekend newspaper/news websites and replaced with some scary stock market propaganda. Then is when you should try some market timing and Maybe alittleleverage.

I've been having a pretty awesome year thus far trading. I sold my car and only eat one meal a day so I can pump more cash into this gravy train.

I got in on
RAD at $2.78 Current @ $5.12
S at $2.97 Current @ $6.45
KCG @ $3.69 (tossed it at $11.30)

GSVC @ $15.55 ... waiting on this guy, I think TWTR will be big for this stock. Current @ $15.73

I like JCP, thinking about making a buy. Current @ $6.79

Im losing on gold and silver. Have about 70 ounces that I've DCAed down to $25.37 an ounce. Gold I bought a bunch of Napoleon 1812 coins, so I am not close to seeing any returns here.

Bitcoin has been decent as well. I only have Casasicus coins though.

I buy bonds with my tax return so I can get the paper certs as well.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Thoughts on internet and social media ETF's like FDN and SOCL? Been looking to get in on these for quite some time as I've watched them rise while waiting on the sidelines.. Think the boat's been missed or is there plenty of ride remaining?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
haha, yeah. Could you imagine if you had invested in Apple 10 years ago? Hindsight is a bitch.
I bought Apple roughly 10 years ago, sold it at a decent profit 7 years ago to use as a down payment on a house which almost immediately plummeted in value for me. #FML.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
What do you guys think about Twitter? Worthwhile investment?
Well I think this social networking bullshit is fucking insanity. But if there was ever any one of these social netowrking IPO's that look alright its probably this one. Mobile/Cell ad revue is all the rage at the moment and it's getting underwritten by non morons unlike ht FB IPO, so it'l probably be a pretty good pump and dump. I don't think it's a good long term investment though.

SOCL is fucking stupid. It could go up another 50% or 100%. Who knows?. But one things for sure, it will go down at 5 times what it go up at some stage.

AMZN good business model, good internet company. Social networking, shit (or what?) business models, shit internet companies.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
l9Yh2KF.png

Crazily

N00b
Anyone have any real estate investing advice? I am 35, debt free and have about 600/month to do whatever I want with. I want to try and make my money...make me money....

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anyone have any real estate investing advice? I am 35, debt free and have about 600/month to do whatever I want with. I want to try and make my money...make me money....
$600 a month isn't enough to invest in real estate, unless you are talking about a REIT ETF or something. If it's money you want to touch in the next five years, dump it into a 60/40 split of S&P 500 index ETF and Aggregate Bond Index. if you don't plan on touching it for longer, just dump it all into the S&P 500 index.

Crazily

N00b
What is the minimum amount to start investing in real estate then? I know there are investing groups so you don't have to fund 100% yourself. I have some money saved already and will be able to add another 10,000 within the next 6 months.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Do you own a house already? If you do, you're already invested in real estate. In which case you should be diversifying your assets in to stocks and bonds, not doubling down on real estate. If you're set on investing in real estate, there's no minimum amount necessarily. You can start with buying an REIT (real estate investment trust) ETF. If you want to start buying actually property yourself, then you're going to need six figures.

Crazily

N00b
I was more interested in learning if anyone has any insight to investing groups. You don't always need to fund a property yourself or with 6 figures. There are real estate investment groups where partnerships are formed to invest as a group.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I read an article about that in the Chicago Tribune a couple weeks ago, I swear... but I can't find it. I looked for it yesterday too
frown.png