It (2017)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remember reading that book when I was a kid. Man scared the shit out of me. King is still one of my all time faves. So much opportunity to make some good movies or series out of his shit, but they always do like lifetime budget movies made for TV bullshit, which always ends up sucking. I dont think ive seen one good one of course obviously the Shining was good back in the early 80s and still considered a classic.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you haven't ever seen Storm of the Century it is very good. It was written as a screenplay originally rather than a book and is maybe my favorite of the made-for-TV projects.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I remember reading that book when I was a kid. Man scared the shit out of me. King is still one of my all time faves. So much opportunity to make some good movies or series out of his shit, but they always do like lifetime budget movies made for TV bullshit, which always ends up sucking. I dont think ive seen one good one of course obviously the Shining was good back in the early 80s and still considered a classic.
Shawshank & Green Mile dawg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I keep forgetting that those were King's. Ok so we have like 3-4 good movies out of the 100s of stories hes told.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I keep forgetting that those were King's. Ok so we have like 3-4 good movies out of the 100s of stories hes told.
creepshow
carrie
the shining
green mile
shawshank
stand by me
the mist
christine
running man
dolores claiborne
cat's eye
cujo
dead zone

(not great movies, but i enjoyed them)
firestarter
pet sematary
silver bullet
heats in atlantis
dreamcatcher

Sulrn

Deuces
I would consider Dreamcatcher better than several of those "great" movies. Also, you didn't put IT on either list. :3

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I would consider Dreamcatcher better than several of those "great" movies. Also, you didn't put IT on either list. :3
Was Dream Catcher the one with the retarded guy who goes "Scooby Doobie Doo"? If it's that one, I remember it being absolutely terrible.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The book was pretty good. Going from the book to the movie was one of the more terrible transitions in King media. Goddamn was it awful.

edit - Hearts in Atlantis will always piss me off because the book is basically four connected Novellas and "Hearts in Atlantis" is the name of the second story where a bunch of college kids are slowly failing out of school because they are playing Hearts too much as the Vietnam anti-war movement has just began and they are facing a real possibility of getting drafted. The characters are literally playing Hearts.

The first story, the one the movie is based off of, has connections to the Dark Tower but those got scrubbed out of the film which is a shame especially now when you consider how popular the whole Cinematic Universe thing is.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
creepshow
carrie
the shining
green mile
shawshank
stand by me
the mist
christine
running mant
dolores claiborne
cat's eye
cujo
dead zone

(not great movies, but i enjoyed them)
firestarter
pet sematary
silver bullet
heats in atlantis
dreamcatcher
Yeah, it's all a matter of opinion, but I liked Pet Cemetery, Silver Bullet, and Firestarter more than a lot of your higher picks.

Also add Misery and Graveyard Shift. First was a good movie second was not so much. Oh, and Apt Pupil.

There are more too. King is an insanely prolific writer and most of his stuff makes decent Movies/TV when done right.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The book was pretty good. Going from the book to the movie was one of the more terrible transitions in King media. Goddamn was it awful.
the book was excellent, the movie would be awful cept i loved some of the scenes and morgan freeman helped make it enjoyable.

@Sulrn
It was a tv miniseries and it was a huge disappointment except for tim curry as pennywise. he fucking delivered

Yeah, it's all a matter of opinion, but I liked Pet Cemetery, Silver Bullet, and Firestarter more than a lot of your higher picks.

Also add Misery and Graveyard Shift. First was a good movie second was not so much. Oh, and Apt Pupil.

There are more too. King is an insanely prolific writer and most of his stuff makes decent Movies/TV when done right.
sorry i should have mentioned my list was in no order, just stuff off the top of my head and others i picked off wiki that i had forgotten. another scary fucking movie is Thinner, but not because its a well written or well acted movie, its neither of those, its shit. its the dude looking like he has some terrible form of cancer and it hits way too close to home for me. i still think about that movie. dont watch it.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Dreamcatcher was fucking godawful. Book was "okay" as far as King books go. I never read The Stand so just got the (gigantic,hardcover) original and uncut version.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
The Running Man as a movie had very very very little to do with the book. The book was actually rather good for what it was, but it did not star a helicopter pilot bodybuilder with an ethical sense taking on a TV show in a game grid.

Its one of the worst "book to movie" experiements ever. The movie was slightly entertaining, but I would not rate it as a "good movie".

(Its rather odd actually, the book would make an excellent movie in my opinion and it would certainly have cost less to make then the Arnold version).

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't know if enough time has past to do an ending where
the hero flies a plane into a building
but another Running Man could be pretty good.

And don't forget Lawnmower Man for silly book to movie adaptations. The short story is about a satyr running a lawn care business and King had to threaten legal action to get his name off the film that is about some kind of super soldier program being used on chimps and then something something internet psionics psychic bee constructs.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I don't know if enough time has past to do an ending where
the hero flies a plane into a building
but another Running Man could be pretty good.

And don't forget Lawnmower Man for silly book to movie adaptations. The short story is about a satyr running a lawn care business and King had to threaten legal action to get his name off the film that is about some kind of super soldier program being used on chimps and then something something internet psionics psychic bee constructs.
Yeah, the ending might be Too Soon (tm) for the US market, but honestly you could change that to anything that results in the same end for Killian and Richards.

Another book I would like to see made into a movie is the The Long Walk.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Frank Darabout, the director that did basically all of the good King adaptations of recent memory, optioned that book and has plans to do it eventually.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Running Man as a movie had very very very little to do with the book. The book was actually rather good for what it was, but it did not star a helicopter pilot bodybuilder with an ethical sense taking on a TV show in a game grid.

Its one of the worst "book to movie" experiements ever. The movie was slightly entertaining, but I would not rate it as a "good movie".

(Its rather odd actually, the book would make an excellent movie in my opinion and it would certainly have cost less to make then the Arnold version).
the book is actually incredibly prophetic about today's reality tv culture. i liked the ending where
killian thinks he's got richards in his pocket, dude you're hired, you got a great job with us, lots of (new?)bucks as one of our hunters. dude totally forgot how the Games Network got richards fucking wife (and daughter? i forget) murdered. the last scene of the book you see dying richards piloting the jet right into the Games Network building, momentarily making eye contact with killian himself in his office. boom!

the movie is typical 80s Ahnuld popcorn flick, i fucking loved it, even though it had almost nothing to do with the book, the one liners are hilarious.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
the book is actually incredibly prophetic about today's reality tv culture
Yepp, even the "game" itself is basicaly reality show fodder taken to the extreme, and this is what would make it an excellent movie today. It would not even require much in the way of special effects, shoot the begining in Detroit and then a few more locations as time goes by.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yepp, even the "game" itself is basicaly reality show fodder taken to the extreme, and this is what would make it an excellent movie today. It would not even require much in the way of special effects, shoot the begining in Detroit and then a few more locations as time goes by.
the sad thing is if they made this movie today, dumbshits would compare it to hunger games. even sadder is hunger games was a blatant ripoff of Battle Royale