IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, take the title and say thanks, put in a few years and then bounce somewhere with the same title and double your money. As a tech guy though, adapting to management from being hands on is fucking rough.

I don't think I'd ever be able to make the change to a role like that. Way too much of a do'er rather than a designator.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure why doubling your salary while having no competing offers on the table is even a decision

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No matter what you take that raise and job, and worst case is you keep looking for other jobs while getting paid almost double.

No downside whatsoever that I can see since you were kinda looking to leave anyways.

DO ET

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Officially accepted, new business cards already ordered. 3 slots confirmed under me for now, possibly a 4th mid year. Its gonna be a whirlwind month. They want me to be a fully functioning department ASAP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Director title is nothing to laugh at (although, a Director making only 105K is kinda laughable). I'd take it and use it to learn and then jump-ship in a year or two to a higher paying company. Don't make decisions thinking you are committing long term. This is NEVER the case. Do not think this way.
What's the bonus payout? Dir pay here is a bit higher but the bonus is ~30%.

Also take the job.

lol just read the rest of the thread: Cad is right. Take it as long as it isn't a one-sided time commitment.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Officially accepted, new business cards already ordered. 3 slots confirmed under me for now, possibly a 4th mid year. Its gonna be a whirlwind month. They want me to be a fully functioning department ASAP.

Awesome. Now I have to add that there is nothing better to your morale, than having a boss that knows more about you about the job. The opposite is true.
Keep your knowledge sharp so you can smell the bulshit and help from time to time.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just moved up my timeline on job hunting, because fuck this place. I feel like I have bounced around too much to different jobs, but this place just isn't a good fit, for many reasons. Prioritizing jobs outside the govt. Have a decent lead on a job from a guy I know from monthly security group meetups, it's outside the govt and work from home and a good stepping stone from where I am to where I want to be. Problem is, I wouldn't hire me for that job so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to pitch myself and my experience. Questions like "Describe your professional pentesting experience" pretty much end with "none". I'm doing vuln assessment/management, I do the other stuff in my own time in my lab and whatever building experience and towards a cert I'm going for, but I don't do it professionally. That plus my salary requirements will probably kill it for me. But it's nice to dream.

Anyway I figure I can take my time and make sure I find the right job. I have one lined up for the summer, it's govt but much better organization and more focused role for me in the vuln space I want to be in. I am talking to people about another, it's another vuln/pentesting spot but it's for BAH who I have heard bad things about, and is undoubtedly govt as well. We shall see.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
55k to 105k, so JUST shy thereof. I would maintain my quarterly performance bonus, that is given based on how much revenue my projects bring in.

Feels like taking the jump is committing long term, and I'm trying to separate my boss from the equation with the company but it is hard. Trying to ask myself: If my boss was never douchey, would I even have a problem here?

Ultimately, I feel like this is the company coming to me, and saying "Hey, you've done great work for us, we want to empower you to continue and grow that, while showing you you're valuable to us"...Which I like since I don't really see how their hand is forced, such as if I gave notice or something...Feels like just a straight up acknowledgement of what I've done.
This sounds good, on its face. Sounds like you just got hooked up.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Just moved up my timeline on job hunting, because fuck this place. I feel like I have bounced around too much to different jobs, but this place just isn't a good fit, for many reasons. Prioritizing jobs outside the govt. Have a decent lead on a job from a guy I know from monthly security group meetups, it's outside the govt and work from home and a good stepping stone from where I am to where I want to be. Problem is, I wouldn't hire me for that job so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to pitch myself and my experience. Questions like "Describe your professional pentesting experience" pretty much end with "none". I'm doing vuln assessment/management, I do the other stuff in my own time in my lab and whatever building experience and towards a cert I'm going for, but I don't do it professionally. That plus my salary requirements will probably kill it for me. But it's nice to dream.

Anyway I figure I can take my time and make sure I find the right job. I have one lined up for the summer, it's govt but much better organization and more focused role for me in the vuln space I want to be in. I am talking to people about another, it's another vuln/pentesting spot but it's for BAH who I have heard bad things about, and is undoubtedly govt as well. We shall see.

Definitely don't be afraid to jump if the current thing is not working out. Do whats right for you.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The whole govt funding thing at the beginning of a year is draining. I'm just a worker...I don't care about that shit. But it's in our faces all day.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

float me a PM...

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

@Obtenor , @Ortega ? one of those guys, does penetration testing, why don't you reach to him here.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It was obtenor, not sure of his/her new name.
Maybe @Tuco has a mailing list of the old site and can get you his/her email?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nerds

I like to organize my icons to have my project folders as a toolbar on the taskbar. Windows 10 seems absolutely stupid at spacing and displaying them efficiently. Is there a way to make this more customizable?

taskbar.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm assuming those are folder names that are fairly specific to work/clients/etc.