IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
No, I totally appreciate it. Made the mistake of smoking weed last week so it's going to be another 4 weeks before I will pee clean. :eek:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Every plac I've worked at has done drug testing and here if you fuck up they toss you a complimentary drug test to make sure you weren't high

Louis

Trakanon Raider
No, I totally appreciate it. Made the mistake of smoking weed last week so it's going to be another 4 weeks before I will pee clean. :eek:

As long as they don't watch you pee there are plenty of ways to bypass this. Afaik they only watch if it's for probation or if they have reason to believe you are trying to dupe the test (ie pee is not in temp range) and they make you pee again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Every plac I've worked at has done drug testing and here if you fuck up they toss you a complimentary drug test to make sure you weren't high

Apparently a while back my place tried to do that and almost lost like half the art staff. Probably a good quarter of the dev staff as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Depending on what you're doing for the DoD isn't the intention for people to die?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Most hard drugs will clear out in 24-72 hours. Definitely stay off the weed though until you get a job.

Id also call up some staffing agencies. Id assume NY has plenty of tech work and even though temp positions might be kinda shitty you can always keep looking while you work.

• 1Solidarity

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Most hard drugs will clear out in 24-72 hours. Definitely stay off the weed though until you get a job.

Id also call up some staffing agencies. Id assume NY has plenty of tech work and even though temp positions might be kinda shitty you can always keep looking while you work.
This is good advice...

It's always easier to get a job when you have a job.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
..."He has a job! He's employable! I WANT TO TAKE HIM"
.."Why he no hav job? WHATS WRONG WITH HIM!?"

Fucking employers are women..

• 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
How's this for irony, I have a potential lead at a rehab facility. o_O

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I mean it's probably best that you just don't do hard drugs anyways right?

Not to be that dude

I've never met a good developer that smoked crack.

• 2Solidarity

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The apparent inability of word or excel to store a table of changes or updates to a cell or section of text blows my fucking mind.

Fuck track changes and fuck vba macros. Give me a single button that does my shit Microsoft or I'm getting word perfect

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A lot of people work at my company specifically because they don't drug test, which makes me think I could just really easy go get a better job at some place that does.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Drug tests are bullshit anyway. Anyone who's not a complete derelict will pass either with a friends piss or by just giving up drugs for 2 weeks. It's more of a is this guy THAT stupid test than anything.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Different in the world I work in. You get a pre hire drug test. At a minimum it's a piss and hair test. Depending on the job and where you will be working some will also draw blood. They also do a breathalyzer which I have never understood. But they do a random breathalyzer after lunch on some of the jobsites in the field. Like maybe once a month, just a random deal out of 1,000 people they might do 5.

They do a random one about every 2 months and they will send someone to the office and 2-3 guys out of 50. They just let you in the bathroom to provide a sample. If you don't produce in X amount of time you have to go to their office and they draw blood.

The pre hire and stuff they have someone in the bathroom with a little mirror on the wall to make sure it's your actual piss.

I get to read most of the stats for the end of the year on some of the big contracts like Exxon and Dow Chemical and even tho they do screenings before hiring and randoms about 40% of all incidients/accidents where they test after the fact they fail. Of course it's not office work.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Federal req on some industries iirc, transmission pipelines were that way

Last edited: