IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
9tut.com for your ccna r&s needs, the comments tend to have something resembling recent braindumps linked eventually, and the rest can be easily filled in with actually knowing some routing and switching shit. Except you want to spend a minute with ACLs/OSPF/RIPv2 and -maybe- EIGRP, as the beefy "miss this and fail" type questions are usually focused on that.

For all the fear instilled in kids about the importance of IPv6 after the update in the fall, had two questions on my exam and neither had anything to do with addressing at all, just basic concept crap.

I'm not even sure Sec+ is braindumpable, because the material I read regarding it before I moved on to storage shit was the most hilarious common sense stuff with minor definitions strewn in. Lock the door that leads to your racks? OH SHIT, SON! What, a trojan isn't exactly the same as a worm? NO GODDAMN WAY. You mean a zero day exploit doesn't happen three weeks after software is released? YOU DON'T SAY.

That said, even though I now deal primarily with HP/Dell servers and storage on the daily, my job still gives pay increases (not major, but then I'm not Vinen/Cad) for basically any cert, so I'm roughly in a similar boat as Mist when it comes to just amassing assloads.

Bit of warning though, when I took the Network+ in January after I got my CCNA, there's not nearly as much overlap as you would hope. Much greater focus on knowing RF#s and cabling specifications that aren't even hinted at in the CCENT/CCNA track, as well as a lot more wireless information. It would probably be worthwhile to look at a braindump or two before taking it, even outdated ones, just to see the range of questions.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You guys already have Tableau in-house? If not have you played w/ MS powerBI? Worth a look IMO, especially since you seem to have other MS stuff running.

On a side note, I have direct query for our CRM and ERP, but SSRS is only used for a 3rd party industry specific reporting from the ERP.

We have Tableau in house and MS Power BI... keep in mind this isn't my actual job its just a side project. I requested Tableau and Power BI so when I get more time to work on the reporting end of the project I'll start using them. What I posted a while back was the result of me fucking with SSRS and keeping the calculations on the DB side to get what we needed to see. I know its not the prettiest. But designing shit for aesthetics is AIDS to me.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
At this point in my bootcamp, I just want to move on to Javascript back end.

HTML CSS is boring and too easy. Plus the minimum requirements to pass the bootcamp are basically "Have a website with three breakpoints based on screen sizes and a little bit of Jquery."

So I'm essentially done with over a month and a half to go in this session.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
9tut.com for your ccna r&s needs, the comments tend to have something resembling recent braindumps linked eventually, and the rest can be easily filled in with actually knowing some routing and switching shit. Except you want to spend a minute with ACLs/OSPF/RIPv2 and -maybe- EIGRP, as the beefy "miss this and fail" type questions are usually focused on that.

For all the fear instilled in kids about the importance of IPv6 after the update in the fall, had two questions on my exam and neither had anything to do with addressing at all, just basic concept crap.

I'm not even sure Sec+ is braindumpable, because the material I read regarding it before I moved on to storage shit was the most hilarious common sense stuff with minor definitions strewn in. Lock the door that leads to your racks? OH SHIT, SON! What, a trojan isn't exactly the same as a worm? NO GODDAMN WAY. You mean a zero day exploit doesn't happen three weeks after software is released? YOU DON'T SAY.

That said, even though I now deal primarily with HP/Dell servers and storage on the daily, my job still gives pay increases (not major, but then I'm not Vinen/Cad) for basically any cert, so I'm roughly in a similar boat as Mist when it comes to just amassing assloads.

Bit of warning though, when I took the Network+ in January after I got my CCNA, there's not nearly as much overlap as you would hope. Much greater focus on knowing RF#s and cabling specifications that aren't even hinted at in the CCENT/CCNA track, as well as a lot more wireless information. It would probably be worthwhile to look at a braindump or two before taking it, even outdated ones, just to see the range of questions.
0-day doesn't mean on release, minor point that people are often confused on. Only important to understand what people are talking about and how to gauge risk.

I thought Sec+ was one of those things where there's the right answer and the CompTIA answer, so the brain dump helped. Also had the same experience with CCNA/Net+. I got my CCNA way back in the day and went into Net+ thinking it would be more of the same, and it was wildly different.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The little practice tests for Sec+ the ones I get wrong are the ones that describe specific social engineering attacks.

"Pick which one is western white whale spear phishing with two factor net and a swallow flying by arrow kicker."

I'm like I don't give a shit what the technique is called I can spot it a mile away.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Sec+ is relatively hard. Over a 20k question bank and it's all an exercise in "How does comptia want me to answer this." When I took it I got nailed on 802.1x and wireless security (rogue access point, etc.) as a huge amount of my questions. The sim part of it though (5-6 sims I think), which supposedly counts for well over 60% of your total score, is exactly like the dumps floating around out there, so definitely just memorize those.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The little practice tests for Sec+ the ones I get wrong are the ones that describe specific social engineering attacks.

"Pick which one is western white whale spear phishing with two factor net and a swallow flying by arrow kicker."

I'm like I don't give a shit what the technique is called I can spot it a mile away.
To be fair: you're not going to fall for it. Some idiot you work with/for or someone in your company/group/etc will, and you'll end up doing triage and writing up what happened. The post-incident review is almost as important as the triage steps for remediation. Finding out what phishing method was used means you can try and do a bit more user education on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
ITIL is one of those things that after you do it all you can see is how fucked up everything is.
I did all the ITIL Foundation lessons and practice tests when I first got hired, and quickly realized our company's service processes are all basically the "what not to do" examples.

Unfortunately, now that they're ready to start paying for exams, all those lessons have been removed from my list of training.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've been entertaining the red hat certs, but I'm hoping my company will send me to the boot camp. The only problem is that they already think I'm the resident Linux genius (their all windows dudes) so I think they'd wonder why I wanted training.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I've been entertaining the red hat certs, but I'm hoping my company will send me to the boot camp. The only problem is that they already think I'm the resident Linux genius (their all windows dudes) so I think they'd wonder why I wanted training.
You tell them you are more versed in Ubuntu or CentOS and want to get better with RHEL.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I thought about the RHEL certs before I went all in on this vulnerability mgmt stuff. Word on the streets are they are hard as fuck.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
When did you take your CCNA/"joke" certs? There's generally a big simulation and 3+ simlets that require you to sort of know what you are looking for, and might not be braindumpable. I took my CCNA in December for RnS, and at the time there was really no info on what was included in the testing process, dumps or not. I basically had to study the shit out of OSPF, EIGRP, ACLs (gotchas in the standard vs. extended versions in my test) and without that I would have definitely failed; those things are simply worth too many points to pass given what braindumps give.

Might have been different years ago. No idea, really. Just that the current version would be unpassable if you didn't know the core technologies thanks to the weight given the simulations and simlets.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If I somehow continue working at my current pace, I'll make 104k this year at my 43k a year job.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Does anyone know how to change the Owner field on an S3 bucket? Even new buckets I create have this owner, yet that email address is no longer my account email, nor is it in my IAM console anywhere...

s3.png

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Do anyone has a box available to run the Donald bot from? We are not sure if there are network issues from the one that TJT is using. Having a another box for testing / running will help a lot.

I will provide the source code or the executables. You can examine the code and compile it.