IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
That moment when someone sends you an access file thats 16kb, says it used to be 2gb, and says "can u fix plozx?"

...Murder..I want to murder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Hoping to tap in for job hunting advice. So I'm in between consulting assignments. The firm I "work" for has only set me up with 2 interviews since the last assignment ended in Jan. I have since been applying to numerous places via dice.com, indeed.com, city jobs, gov't, etc. So yeah, I'm getting antsy about being out of work.

How have you found IT jobs? I'm somewhere between Senior Level Support and Systems Administrator.

Pls advise!

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Indeed, networking, sheer luck, monthly meetups, conferences, monster
In that order, from most hits to "wtf are you even doing, bro"

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Anyone with a good amount of experience working with AWS or Azure? New company opened up in my town and they are currently hiring numerous positions involving both. Looking to move from a sys admin position to something related with that (preferably sysops) and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on making that jump.

I currently have a free account with azure and have been messing around in it while going through the 48 videos on cbtnuggets to at least get my feet wet. While MS certs are pretty poo I'm only 1 test from getting the Cloud MCSE, so I'm just going to knock that out since my current company will foot that bill.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone with a good amount of experience working with AWS or Azure? New company opened up in my town and they are currently hiring numerous positions involving both. Looking to move from a sys admin position to something related with that (preferably sysops) and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on making that jump.

I currently have a free account with azure and have been messing around in it while going through the 48 videos on cbtnuggets to at least get my feet wet. While MS certs are pretty poo I'm only 1 test from getting the Cloud MCSE, so I'm just going to knock that out since my current company will foot that bill.
IaaS/PaaS is pretty close to the future of most computing, and AWS/Azure/Google Cloud (IO/Compute? Whatever the fuck it's called) is where quite a bit of companies are migrating. The stress will be on DevOps (someone else doing the development and you doing the operations, which isn't really DevOps but whatever).

The company I work for is transitioning a shitload of stuff to AWS (and a lesser degree to Azure).

Start with this stuff: AWS | Start Now
Fuck around with the basic account (secure it...). Go to any local AWS/Azure meetings/meet-ups. The AWS ones give free AWS credits, which is pretty great.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have advice on transitioning from dev to manager? Ups, downs, don't do it, etc? My boss is retiring at the end of the month and this is an opportunity to move up. And considering this is a small company, probably a very rare one too. Ideally, I'd like to stay in programming, but transitioning to more management side seems to be the general way to improve your career(read: make more money). And I'm kind of over the whole "do what you love" aspect. Go to work, do your shit well and on time, get paid. Obviously I'll be back here in a year complaining about how annoying management is(if I get the position).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone have advice on transitioning from dev to manager? Ups, downs, don't do it, etc? My boss is retiring at the end of the month and this is an opportunity to move up. And considering this is a small company, probably a very rare one too. Ideally, I'd like to stay in programming, but transitioning to more management side seems to be the general way to improve your career(read: make more money). And I'm kind of over the whole "do what you love" aspect. Go to work, do your shit well and on time, get paid. Obviously I'll be back here in a year complaining about how annoying management is(if I get the position).
You're going to have to learn how to be a decent manager, which mainly means micromanaging to the degree that your report(s) and team as a whole need. Some not at all, some a ton. It's going to drive you nuts because you're an engineer/developer at your core which means you almost always go to the correct path (as you see that path). If you can get over that, and if you can deal with doing administrative bullshit, you should go for it. You'll need to be able to let people make their own mistakes (but not in a fashion that will harm you/the company/cause permanent damage to their career) but also provide guidance if/when they ask you. It's like parenting only you get paid. Also, you make more money but it comes with more responsibility, which has usually entailed more after-normal-hours-escalation bullshit from the positions I've seen.

I'd say go for it, but be aware it's 100% different than programming. A small shop might also let you do some development on the side, but you're primary goal is to make your team more efficient.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hoping to tap in for job hunting advice. So I'm in between consulting assignments. The firm I "work" for has only set me up with 2 interviews since the last assignment ended in Jan. I have since been applying to numerous places via dice.com, indeed.com, city jobs, gov't, etc. So yeah, I'm getting antsy about being out of work.

How have you found IT jobs? I'm somewhere between Senior Level Support and Systems Administrator.

Pls advise!
LulzSect LulzSect missed this earlier... but

Indeed, networking, sheer luck, monthly meetups, conferences, monster
In that order, from most hits to "wtf are you even doing, bro"

this x1000, but it's "networking, linkedin, indeed, meetups, conferences, vendors, other job websites" for me

I have recruiters from LinkedIn contacting me almost every day; I have a pre-written response I just copy in about salary/rate/location/etc.
I surf through indeed (and get 3 emails daily with my alerts, one per location I'd realistically look to move to).
I attend a few industry/professional meetings/conferences every quarter to get hot topics and to meet others in my industry and profession.
I've worked with a few vendor sales guys who were decent (and sold products I liked) that I had asked about introductions (which turned into interviews, which is sort of a no-no, but c'est la vie).

The biggest has been networking though. With the exception of the recruiters, I get interviews from knowing other people in my area who I let know that I'm open if something cool comes up. Even jobs listed on linkedin or indeed, I check my networking contacts to see if any of them work there or can make an introduction to someone who works there.

It also helps that my field has a negative employment rate in my region (and pretty close to that nationally).

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

The guy who was my mentor when I got hired on at my first "real" job transitioned from being a developer to a manager. He absolutely and completely hated it. You are in the thick of office politics, you have to manage a ton of interpersonal problems with your staff and you stop being able to keep up on technology and every manager/PM seems to have this dream of still coding yet it never happens. You have to ask yourself: do you love meetings? Do you love process? Do you love managing a JIRA board? Do you love not having actual control over an outcome of a product? If you have no problem with any of that then go ahead. But know full well you're going in now as full on corporate management. It is completely night and day.

I also disagree on the improve your career aspect. Sure going into a management track is probably the easiest way to get a short term shot in the arm of cash but if you're a very accomplished and very good developer you can get skyhigh cash. Those jobs are just more rare than your mid-level PM job.

You'll also be shunned from the IT careers thread because you've abandoned us to become a full time JIRA jockey. Get your 6 sigma on bitch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's a not a whole lot of formal process here. The meat of what you said is true, but if I had to deal with 6 sigma shit like I did back at IBM, I'd probably turn it down. Which, of course, if I was at IBM, there'd be more paths for career improvement without going into management. I just don't see how I can further improvement my career and pay as a developer at a small firm, especially since I'm on the test side of things.

I'm hoping to use my new position to reorg it a little bit too. Yes, hoping, I know what you're thinking. My only counter point is that the chief architect here manages about 5 people and he still gets to regularly code. Hell, the VP, the guy who would be my boss, still codes. He did half of the MISRA implementation for our product.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ok yeah if you're more QA you probably do need to swap tracks. I thought you were an application developer. Yeah there aren't a whole lot of jobs as a principal QA analyst or QA architect. Alternatively you could try to parlay your experience into a better job at a bigger company.

The funniest thing my old boss had to deal with was he had to diffuse an argument between two team members because one person didn't like the perfume another one was wearing and claimed it was giving him headaches. It took literally two weeks for him to right the situation lol.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I use the word dev because QA seems to be treated like second-class citizens in software. But ever since I graduated in 2005, I've been stuck in test, be it hardware or software :( I switched to software three years ago, been trying to use this job as maybe an opportunity to learn as a software dev.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Deathwing Deathwing

I recently made this jump. From support to PM to director; I've just recently got my team built, and already I'm seeing the pitfalls of the jump. I so want to step in and fix shit myself, but have to sit back and let my team handle it. Let them grow. My budget per person was pretty decent so I grabbed some pretty experienced peeps; So far they do the work good.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can safely say that you have to be able to shut off the "just let me fucking do it" for shit you know that they might not. You have to learn to guide. I've only had my team assembled for a very short time, and its an entirely different dynamic when everyone's new to everyone.

An update on my serendipitous rise:

One thing I insisted on, since its all new hires for new products, was a big ass team building budget. Their second day here? we bounced an hour early and went to an "escape the room" real life thing. Fuckin cool, and forced 'em to work together to solve a puzzle. Then dinner on the company, with nightcap.

We've really hit the ground running, and have picked up 30% of our existing client base for new contract add-ons in the last 2 weeks. This is on top of one-off implementations we've got scheduled and sell on a regular basis.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Pls advise!

Clean up, some places do drug testing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

I have been working with azure fora while. What is the question?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I don't mean it as a putdown, I meant it as a heads up, I had to pee for a couple of employers in the past.

• 1Solidarity