IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Intel laying off 15%

I'm told we're laying off a very significant number of employees Monday as well.

From what I'm told it's a bloodbath.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Intel laying off 15%

I'm told we're laying off a very significant number of employees Monday as well.

I assume all jr devs and QA, keep all HR staff. Then cry when there's no one to hire into mid and sr roles next couple years and agitate for more H1Bs?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I assume all jr devs and QA, keep all HR staff. Then cry when there's no one to hire into mid and sr roles next couple years and agitate for more H1Bs?
The tried and true strategy. We definitely need more Indians in tech.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
if rumors are to be believed it's mostly sales (replaced with AI) and professional services.

Engineering is not being touched in this round. And yes... There are more rounds coming.

This layoff will make the news by Wednesday im sure.

I've been told I'm safe.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I find that one odd as for us (B2B tech company) sales churns as is normal but none of them are being replaced with AI. We are making use of AI to create a specialized bot that handles level 1 support for our highly technical product that even seasoned veterans of tech infrastructure (our target demographic) can't figure out intuitively. No support people are being let go though they just don't have to waste time on the categorized highly repetitive and more simplistic questions that used to eat up lots of their time.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Guy I'm eventually replacing: "Yeah, we can't figure out why the security video recording machine keeps crashing"

-30 Cameras
-90 Degree room
-Fans choked with dust
-Running 100% CPU at all times for years
-8gb RAM

Gee I wonder

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Intel laying off 15%

We had a few let go a couple weeks back. Mostly newer testers, but also some older project managers whose salaries were probably a little excessive.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am going on vacation today but just read some early morning messages before I am out the door this morning and whooooo boy I picked a good time.

I mentioned previously about the lol invoice project I worked on last year. Resulting in me, alone, developing an end to end client invoicing application that incorporates IDK, 10 or so years worth of nonsensical business rules into automated invoices for our clients. This has worked well for some time but I handed over the project and its maintenance to another team who will be responsible for billing related development from now on. Which I am happy about.

This month there's been a shitfest because a Tier 1 Client is refusing to pay invoices (tens of millions at the moment) due to some kind of mistakes they are identifying in them. Okay cool. The new team is being pressured because obviously this is a lot of money and executive leadership wants it paid as soon as possible. Understandable. Since the Client isn't telling us why they are being rejected me and the other developer now working on them went on an easter egg hunt looking for the discrepancies they may be complaining about. We did find some, they seem to be timing related as to when they receive invoices vs when they do internal checks for whatever. Another is they seem to be comparing what the invoice says to other outputs not built on similar logic. Textbook an apples to oranges data issue.

Okay fine, there's a route to fix this obviously we can work with that. However, the finance team is ultimately responsible for revenue. They contracted a service agreement where these invoices are processed in 15 days of delivery and any suite of corrections also has a 15 day time limit. Finance did not tell us this until day 14 of that 15 day timeline last week and immediately escalated to their own VPs about failure to comply or something. So they try to dump it on me and our own VP gets pulled in, another VP of a different data org and the CS VP.

As we are developers trying to very rapidly fix this as best we can we kept asking finance questions about everything to narrow down what to do. As they should be the most invested in the process. But they are not, its all about deflecting as much as possible for some reason. We got a number of hand waves last week.

Today? They sent out a mass email to everyone involved that the finance team will be extracting themselves from the invoice process entirely outside of handling the money received. Everything else is your problem.

I expect some serious shit hitting the fan this week. Luckily I'll miss it. If they try to throw me under the bus over it I honestly don't care anymore. lol.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Rumors are 13k were laid off... In this first wave

I'm largely not impacted, but I don't know what sort of downstream impact this will have.

They say AI can't take our jobs, but AI totally just took a bunch of sales jobs.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
They say AI can't take our jobs, but AI totally just took a bunch of sales jobs.

What do you guys think, Butlerian Genocide? Butlerian Genocide right?

I drink a lot of Masala Chai, perhaps my eyes will turn glowie blue

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah the morale here at Dell is in the shitter. It's the worst I've ever seen.

You ain't seen shit moral. You should see all us ex-VMware waiting to be cut by Broadcom. We have to be down 50% since the acquisition across all divisions IGNORING End User Computing which was sold to another company.

But hey. Every 3 months is an extra 100~200K USD in RSU vesting at a minimum for me.

• 1Mother of God

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
We'll best hope you don't get cut until this recession or whatever it is finally passes.

Job market is fuckin killing me right now. I'm ~7 months since I got downsized out of my last role, and while I've been getting responses and interviews they all vanish pretty quick once salary discussions start.

I've not really been wailing to take a haircut on pay this far, but companies are all balking pretty hard at me telling them ~125k is my kinda baseline. Maybe I'm the one that's being unreasonable? But I feel like for the roles I'm applying for that should be well within tolerances?

We're talking senior engineer/admin positions asking for 7+ years of experience with various hypervisors and cloud systems, Cisco/Juniper networking chops, database work, infosec duties, just the whole package, and they want it for 75k and a full in-person office schedule.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You ain't seen shit moral. You should see all us ex-VMware waiting to be cut by Broadcom. We have to be down 50% since the acquisition across all divisions IGNORING End User Computing which was sold to another company.

But hey. Every 3 months is an extra 100~200K USD in RSU vesting at a minimum for me.

Lol I'm over here staring at my stack of VMware certs being all like

90rob1.jpg

• 1Worf

Vinen

God is dead
We'll best hope you don't get cut until this recession or whatever it is finally passes.

Job market is fuckin killing me right now. I'm ~7 months since I got downsized out of my last role, and while I've been getting responses and interviews they all vanish pretty quick once salary discussions start.

I've not really been wailing to take a haircut on pay this far, but companies are all balking pretty hard at me telling them ~125k is my kinda baseline. Maybe I'm the one that's being unreasonable? But I feel like for the roles I'm applying for that should be well within tolerances?

We're talking senior engineer/admin positions asking for 7+ years of experience with various hypervisors and cloud systems, Cisco/Juniper networking chops, database work, infosec duties, just the whole package, and they want it for 75k and a full in-person office schedule.

I'm in a situation where I can easily coast for a decade at current spend with family. Wife is in a good place as well. If/when it happens I'm considering just doing something I'd have fun with for a while.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

That much of a disparity means the recruiter isn't doing their job.

I'm not an IT professional, but since our IT department is understaffed, I've basically had to become one. That includes things like implementing open source alternatives to vmware(thanks for the price hike, Vinen Vinen ) like qemu. For the parts that I understand, 125k sounds reasonable to me. Especially in an area like Chicago.