IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You ain't seen shit moral. You should see all us ex-VMware waiting to be cut by Broadcom. We have to be down 50% since the acquisition across all divisions IGNORING End User Computing which was sold to another company.

But hey. Every 3 months is an extra 100~200K USD in RSU vesting at a minimum for me.
We aren't far behind. There's plenty of talks of storage being sold to Broadcom as well.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm in a situation where I can easily coast for a decade at current spend with family. Wife is in a good place as well. If/when it happens I'm considering just doing something I'd have fun with for a while.

Yea I'm in a decently comfortable financial position so I'm not in any particular hurry, but I'd be lying if I claimed the constant interview/ghosting process wasn't starting to wear on me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That much of a disparity means the recruiter isn't doing their job.

I'm not an IT professional, but since our IT department is understaffed, I've basically had to become one. That includes things like implementing open source alternatives to vmware(thanks for the price hike, Vinen Vinen ) like qemu. For the parts that I understand, 125k sounds reasonable to me. Especially in an area like Chicago.

I just redid my homelab to proxmox for mostly the same reasons I assume. Feels like the push everywhere is to abandon VMware as soon as possible at every level of enterprise that isn't literally State Farm and whatever other colossal institutions that simply can't move that quickly.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Guy who was supposed to train me for three months before I replaced him is getting Fired on my fifth Friday instead. Gonna be a mess trying to figure out what all random things he's admin on since this organization has zero documentation.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I am like Captain Kirk in ST6 "I have never trusted klingons, and I never will... I will never forgive them, for the death of my boy." whenever I hear VMWare or HP...

VMWare for Datrium and HP for WebOS

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I am like Captain Kirk in ST6 "I have never trusted klingons, and I never will... I will never forgive them, for the death of my boy." whenever I hear VMWare or HP...

VMWare for Datrium and HP for WebOS
HP printers, never again. Those fuckers started putting the always connected requirement on everything and network people nearly all committed suicide.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Siliconemelons

I also hate SAP because they sent good ol boy Leo Apokrawhatever to HP that got WebOS killed, then golden parachuted his butt into an early million + retirement and "consultant" life... while completely decimating HP as a company that was on the verge of overtaking Dell, becoming a strong "3rd option" in the phone market (that no one to date has done) and continuing to be /the/ printer people for consumer level.

The problem was execution not idea / plan - what he did by a stroke of the pen overnight, was indeed what the next batch of leadership did do (with HPe etc.) - but he did it completely wrong, and that was /his job/ as the CEO was to do it right lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Turns out supporting 3 generations of products that all have issues coming in as a single person is not possible.

The funniest is the groups using them all think they are more important than the others, which who am I to really argue with..

They've said they're bringing more people on but I don't trust a company that just laid off 10% of it's staff.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Getting out of the military, Network Admin, Top Secret security clearance. Besides clearancejobs and usajobs where should he be looking?

Siliconemelons

Draper, Honeywell, Raytheon and Lockheed are always good places to start with military and creds....heck nowadays even w/o creds lol

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Lot of places are looking for TS/SCI on LinkedIn (the cesspool that it is).

Draper lowballed me on salary because I didn't have TS

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lot of places are looking for TS/SCI on LinkedIn (the cesspool that it is).

Draper lowballed me on salary because I didn't have TS
That sucks, also my experience. They don't really care about qualifications, just if they don't have to pay to get you a clearance.

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Getting out of the military, Network Admin, Top Secret security clearance. Besides clearancejobs and usajobs where should he be looking?
Potentially any company operating on secret cloud. Could be lucrative. Not exactly fun because you’ll just be the monkey turning wrenches while some team in India builds the product but money could be better than a traditional defense company.

Vinen

God is dead
I just redid my homelab to proxmox for mostly the same reasons I assume. Feels like the push everywhere is to abandon VMware as soon as possible at every level of enterprise that isn't literally State Farm and whatever other colossal institutions that simply can't move that quickly.

You basically summed up Hock Tan's goal. He wants the business to focus on top customers. Others who don't bring in significant revenue can go pound sand. At least thats the feel I get. We have significant cuts in my Division today. I appear to have survived this round. I lost team members which sucks ass. People who have skills we can't replace.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You basically summed up Hock Tan's goal. He wants the business to focus on top customers. Others who don't bring in significant revenue can go pound sand. At least thats the feel I get. We have significant cuts in my Division today. I appear to have survived this round. I lost team members which sucks ass. People who have skills we can't replace.
Just because you can't replace them doesn't mean you won't have to do their work!

• 2Tiresome
  • 1Worf

Vinen

God is dead
Just because you can't replace them doesn't mean you won't have to do their work!

In this case I mean. We literally don't have the skillset they had. Talking years of experience. I know the product well so your point is valid.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I should also add, particularly interested in companies around the Orlando or Daytona area.
Depends a lot on exactly what your network admin experience entails. Like what tools did you use, what kind of infrastructure, what was the scale of it, etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In this case I mean. We literally don't have the skillset they had. Talking years of experience. I know the product well so your point is valid.
I see you didn't see Jeff Clarkes famous words last year during our big layoffs.

"do less with less"

Yes. Literally the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

• 1Worf

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't normally bitch about work because things are usually pretty relaxed in my little chunk of the world, and I really appreciate that, but occasionally some version of this happens:
Someone's thing breaks. My thing, which has been happily running without being touched for months is subtly (or not so subtly) blamed. The other thing gets rebuilt. Now, my thing, (which still hasn't changed) doesn't work (also subtly my fault). "Now here's 10 things you need to try to make your thing work again." Great, none of those worked. Are you sure nothing changed about your thing that you just rebuilt? "of course not!". So it's been over a week of jumping through hoops while waiting for someone to flip the right switch so that I can inevitably change everything back to exactly how it was before the debacle.
Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like