IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I should also add, particularly interested in companies around the Orlando or Daytona area.
Lockheed Martin would probably have the most opportunities in that area. If you are targeting a base / command you want to work for, can always ask what companies they contract their IT out to and then apply with them directly.

Siliconemelons

I don't normally bitch about work because things are usually pretty relaxed in my little chunk of the world, and I really appreciate that, but occasionally some version of this happens:
Someone's thing breaks. My thing, which has been happily running without being touched for months is subtly (or not so subtly) blamed. The other thing gets rebuilt. Now, my thing, (which still hasn't changed) doesn't work (also subtly my fault). "Now here's 10 things you need to try to make your thing work again." Great, none of those worked. Are you sure nothing changed about your thing that you just rebuilt? "of course not!". So it's been over a week of jumping through hoops while waiting for someone to flip the right switch so that I can inevitably change everything back to exactly how it was before the debacle.
Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

lol that’s always fun… lower level but had the “my password is not working, the computer is broke” today… they would not admit “i forgot or mistyped my password’ it /was the computer/

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Me: Dear Intel, your DSA engine does not work on Granite Rapids engineering samples

Intel: Yes it does, dump a million registers, give us a billion logs, try all of these random things and show us your code

Me: <Provides>

Intel: Ok, something isn't right and we think it's your code. Use our OS utility to test the engine.

Me: Ok, here's a lot of me trying it and showing it's showing me the same issue.

Intel: This can't be! We'll get back to you...

I wish this wasn't how everything with Intel was. I'm sure this isn't surprising based on recent Intel news (layoffs, 13/14th gen bullshit).

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Week 6 of my first IT job: They fired the guy who was supposed to be training me for the next six weeks, told him it was because I'm cheaper, then are allowing him to work for another full week with full access to everything so that he can have another pay period.

Nothing can possibly go wrong with this.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Week 6 of my first IT job: They fired the guy who was supposed to be training me for the next six weeks, told him it was because I'm cheaper, then are allowing him to work for another full week with full access to everything so that he can have another pay period.

Nothing can possibly go wrong with this.
Well, that's quite the way for them to frame for your future salary increase expectations.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, that's quite the way for them to frame for your future salary increase expectations.
Yeah, from the interview onwards this has very much felt like a "Hold on long enough to get experience then immediately start looking for another job using that exp"

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, from the interview onwards this has very much felt like a "Hold on long enough to get experience then immediately start looking for another job using that exp"
that's all jobs since mid 2000s unfortunately

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I get to give a series of presentations to a team to see if any of them want to work for me. Kind of interesting as I've always just been a worker grunt. I'm not a manager but the 'architect'

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You know what grinds my gears?

Assholes (usually Indians) who ask for confirmation and updates on shit every 5 seconds. This same guy asks me the same question multiple times a day. Asks for a connection creds for something so I link it to him via our Password vault.

Then asks for me to confirm that this the the creds to use after I just provided them to him. I've gone to just completely ignoring him because DUDE holy shit. I am not going to lead you STEP BY STEP on every single thing you're supposed to be doing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You know what grinds my gears?

Assholes (usually Indians) who ask for confirmation and updates on shit every 5 seconds. This same guy asks me the same question multiple times a day. Asks for a connection creds for something so I link it to him via our Password vault.

Then asks for me to confirm that this the the creds to use after I just provided them to him. I've gone to just completely ignoring him because DUDE holy shit. I am not going to lead you STEP BY STEP on every single thing you're supposed to be doing.
They are so fucking pushy on tickets. Good god

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Had an internal engineer in India page me at 5am last week for a customer issue that was not urgent. Peak rustled.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Indian engineers are the worst engineers I've ever worked with. Hands down.
In my experience like 10% of them are good, 10% are passable, and the other 80% are illiterate dirt people

But my numbers for US-based people are like 20/20/60 so they're really only twice as bad as Americans on average by that math.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A big part of the problem is I can't communicate with them. Chinese engineers I have no problem working with

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A big part of the problem is I can't communicate with them. Chinese engineers I have no problem working with
Yeah, the biggest problem I've found is that because it's hard to communicate with them, no one coaches them, which means they never learn from their mistakes.

IDC while I'm still getting paid.