IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh your technology driven company/platform is also full of mid and upper level management that has never written a line of code in their lives and has no understanding of technology?

Mine too.
Funny anecdote. Our company is big on AI. Literally I hear about it the entire day, everyday. If you know where I work then you know.

About a year or so ago they gave us all GitHub copilot and did surveys. The leadership team was shocked and dismayed to learn that most software developers are writing code at most 1-2 hours a day and the rest of the time debugging, testing, attending meetings, writing documentation,.etc. It changes of course based on role, for instance in firmware we spend a lot less time writing code than say a frontend dev.

Our director at the time told us leadership was really upset to learn this. They literally thought we wrote code 8 hours straight everyday.

Also separately on the DEI hiring. I was on the interview team for new hires several years ago. They told us the moonshot goal was 75% of hires to be DEI hires (forget exactly how they worded it). I could tell they were weeding people out based on that because I interviewed a ton of minorities. I didn't give the single one the green flag to move forward. Again anecdotal but the only person I recommended was this white nerd that seemed super passionate. Pretty sure we hired the DEI people though.

And I generally dont care what you are. I believe in hiring the most qualified person. The people I interviewed didn't know SHIT. I didn't even give them coding questions. They couldn't talk about anything meaningful. One of them did they me she was the chair of the feminism group at college though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Well you must work at a company that actually addresses tech debt instead of letting it pile up constantly. That must be nice.
My company tries to build tech debt every time we deploy need systems. Hell they love flat networks. and want to tie hundreds of AWS accounts on one flat transit gateway for east west north south traffic. clowns all of them

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user