IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Overheard today that the more senior android dev here was let go after disappearing into the wilds of India. I sort of expected it but was hoping she would find her way back so I didn't have the life of an entire product riding on my junior dev ass, but such is. I'm sort of excited though. Besides, this gives me a chance to clean up her code without someone bitching at me in the process. I seriously think it might have given me aids. Or the flu at least.
Best way to get experience and learn a bunch.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fucking code reviews are the bane of my existence. This one guy refuses to listen to anything I say. And I am trying my best to word my comments in such a way that they would not be construed as attacks.

He always falls back to "it's consistent with the rest of the application." Yes, but 90% of the application is shit. So is that justification for writing shitty code?

Furthermore, I hate people who copy/paste shit without understanding what it does.
Code reviews can go to crap when you have people who fundamentally disagree on programming ideas. When you get to that point I think you have to stick to comments where you can see concrete ways that their code breaks.

His side last month was...

"Well remember that architecture i was pushing for 2 months ago.. I don't want to use it anymore... I realized it it was not for this company... It requires a full time work on the DB that fullstack developers dont do..."

Translation. After realizing he as alone on the boat of maintaining XML and SP, plus realizing the non re-usability of his architecture he quickly changed his tune. Trying to save face about it, but after giving me 1 moth of unnecessary headaches of "Why don't you want to try new things? Why are you so close minded"??
Mind you my main argument was SQL xml work is not OOP, just string/xml manipulation.
I hate it when dickheads get trapped in a hole and rather than reflect on why they're up shit creek they hide behind statements like, "This company isn't ready for this." or "If other people don't do X, then my idea won't work.".

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Code reviews can go to crap when you have people who fundamentally disagree on programming ideas. When you get to that point I think you have to stick to comments where you can see concrete ways that their code breaks.
Yeah, I realize that. That's why I try and offer an alternative approach in a friendly way and don't push the point if they decline. However, in this case there is a fundamental flaw in the way he's designed his class that WILL throw an exception. Yet he'll always respond with, "That'll never happen in the real world." Which is bullshit because it's fucking happening to me during a simple test and I'm not even trying to make it break. What's frustrating is that I have no one to back me up.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Best way to get experience and learn a bunch.
Agreed and I'm already light years ahead of where I was when I started... shit it was less than four months ago. Already had my first release and nothing has broken because of it so... yay. But there's that other shit I found while getting the release ready. Like installing debug apks on our devices and not doing a proper upgrade when new apks are sent out. I definitely won't lack for things to learn over the near future. I just don't like that it's because I'm cleaning up someone else's fuckups.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You'll be much better off for it in the long term, even though it's frustrating right now.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I realize that. That's why I try and offer an alternative approach in a friendly way and don't push the point if they decline. However, in this case there is a fundamental flaw in the way he's designed his class that WILL throw an exception. Yet he'll always respond with, "That'll never happen in the real world." Which is bullshit because it's fucking happening to me during a simple test and I'm not even trying to make it break. What's frustrating is that I have no one to back me up.
My boss believes in Fail Early, Fail Loudly, meaning he don't check if stuff is null he just let it crash. A bit frustrating, but the guy is so damn smart, that i understand his point.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Can you explain his view on that a bit more? I work for a company that make static analysis software and missing null checks is one of the things it warns about. It's such a headache to track down later on and such a small cost performance wise, why not do it?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We design our stuff with null checks so we can fail gracefully, then again if we let the system go out of control and crazy thermal events start getting through we could do permanent damage.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Can you explain his view on that a bit more? I work for a company that make static analysis software and missing null checks is one of the things it warns about. It's such a headache to track down later on and such a small cost performance wise, why not do it?
Since our company is small and we only do intern software, he can track and fix exceptions right away. His line of thinking, is that if a null list got in by mistake, rather than having what he calls, unexpected behavior, he'll rather have the method crash, that way he can pin point exactly where the failure was. I don't agree with it, I check for my list to be nulls, but he is the boss.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ah, you have a decent idea of how the software is being used and what information may be passed to it. Those types of situations, skipping null checks might be ok.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
My boss believes in Fail Early, Fail Loudly, meaning he don't check if stuff is null he just let it crash. A bit frustrating, but the guy is so damn smart, that i understand his point.
The issue is that our guy is assuming a value will always be present in a data set. Since our application allows the user to do custom naming, then it's a situation where the query may not find what it's looking for, returning null. The code is acting on that null value assuming it's, well, not null.

There are certainly situations where I don't check for null because if it IS null then there's a problem and I want it to crash.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, yeah, that's pretty dumb. Not checking that your query failed to find anything, or you memory allocation failed, or http request returned a None...I mean, how has he not been burned by this already? Should just be habit at this point.

Vinen

God is dead
Out in Palo Alto right now.

Walking across the VMware Campus at 9 AM felt like being in Sanctus Seru. Empty without any signs of life.

I had to post this here since none of my coworkers would get an EQ1 joke
frown.png

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I wish Luclin had been as factionally relevant as Velious. I had a soft spot for combine lore, and they totally blew it.
frown.png

Your coworkers suck.

Vinen

God is dead
I wish Luclin had been as factionally relevant as Velious. I had a soft spot for combine lore, and they totally blew it.
frown.png

Your coworkers suck.
Yeah
frown.png
no reformed MMO Players...

But man... the nostalgia as I walked through the Campus.

Best picture I can find... too much green compared to the area behind it which is massive concrete maze.

rrr_img_101188.jpg