IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think lendarios is the guy that told his wife to hold on because he was jerking off in the living room

moontayle

Golden Squire
Give an app permission to write to external storage... can't write to external storage.
Give an app permission to access the internet... can write to external storage.

Three hours of troubleshooting later...

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Give an app permission to write to external storage... can't write to external storage.
Give an app permission to access the internet... can write to external storage.

Three hours of troubleshooting later...
Ah its like a programming forum thread.

"I've given my app access to write to external storage but it isn't writing. Any tips?

edit: nm I've figured it out"

moontayle

Golden Squire
Heh, no. Couldn't get basic file utility methods to work and everything on StackOverflow basically told me to do something I had already done. Since I'm basing this off an existing app, I just copied over permissions and reran the app until the methods worked. Which just so happened to be after I added permission to access the internet. I'm sure there's a reason for the behavior but logically speaking I'm Jackie Chan here.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ah its like a programming forum thread.

"I've given my app access to write to external storage but it isn't writing. Any tips?

edit: nm I've figured it out"
"Mind sharing your solution? I'm having a similar problem"

moontayle

Golden Squire
rrr_img_102580.png

Because someone had to.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I had something like that happen today where I'm searching for some obscure problem, after a few pages of searches I find someone with the exact same problem as I have. I hurridly scan through the thread to see if he found the solution, knowing that a lot of these end up with either "edit: figured it out" or hopelessness.

This time it was hopelessness =\

moontayle

Golden Squire
Are nested if-statements a thing? I don't want to criticize given my newb status when it comes to development, but I'm looking at something that's 9 if-statements deep and wondering if things just got out of hand or what.

Tenks

There are obviously exceptions but if your if logic gets that deep 9/10 it is either a design issue or a coding issue

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
goto __A0

2-3 levels of nesting, exceptions withstanding.

Tenks

When I first started at my job I was put on a project with someone who was a newly minted Java developer (had no Java experience or teaching) and was an old COBOL developer. I had to debug a logic statement that had, I shit you not, 4 levels of for-next loops.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Most of them are "if (x != null)" tests before it continues on. I feel like that's why you surround things in a try/catch.

Tenks

I think doing an if check is far quicker at run time than catching and handling an exception. Generally I try and check my variables prior to using them.

Also for some reason people get really confused when I write string comparisons such as

"A Hard String".equals(aVariableString). Most prefer aVariableString.equals("A Hard String") -- and I admit it reads better -- but the previous gets around from having to check aVariableString being null before hand.