IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm too much of a perfectionist. I'd start rewriting people's code. And if someone rewrote mine a fist-fight would ensue.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I imagine a lot of outfits do 'mob programming' all the time. As in, a team goes to use some component in their system, finds out it doesn't work, calls person X to come down and figure out what's wrong. They need to adjust something/rewrite something and the team then heckles him based on how shitty his code is and how slow he is at programming. Until ultimately someone shoves him off the seat and schools them.

I enjoy sitting in the hot seat and paired programming because I write code really fast and enjoy it, but like hell if I want to spend the majority of my time watching other people work.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I could see the benefit of it in a larger shop in order to onboard someone to their practices. I can also see the efficacy of doing it to reduce overhead, especially when it comes to code review and code merging. Cannot tell you how many times a bullshit delay could have been avoided at my last place with something like this in place.

What I can't see is how it's feasible long term unless you have firm rules in place on "driver" rotation. Otherwise you're paying people to sit around and watch someone else work.

Vinen

God is dead
I could see the benefit of it in a larger shop in order to onboard someone to their practices. I can also see the efficacy of doing it to reduce overhead, especially when it comes to code review and code merging. Cannot tell you how many times a bullshit delay could have been avoided at my last place with something like this in place.

What I can't see is how it's feasible long term unless you have firm rules in place on "driver" rotation. Otherwise you're paying people to sit around and watch someone else work.
You are expecting a group of introverts to work at high capacity for large amount of time?
Fail.

There are other solutions to actually getting people to review code, etc. Forcing people to work together 100% of the time is not one.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sounds dumb as shit. I'd rather just put two devs next to each other with their own comps.
Honestly, I would use it for training. Put the new person in the hot seat and start telling them what to do, and it would be an interesting way to force them to learn techniques from the whole team and hopefully they'd be smart enough to ask a lot of questions about what people are getting them to do.

I couldn't picture doing it daily.. I would probably go nuts.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We just use Crucible and Fisheye for code reviews. You get solid knowledge transfer using these tools and it doesn't force you to sit next to someone and look over their shoulder while you pair program. The only problem is with some people they like to try and flex their big nuts and over not really useful information in the code review just "Well I'd do it this way" and shit without actually addressing the code under review.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We just use Crucible and Fisheye for code reviews. You get solid knowledge transfer using these tools and it doesn't force you to sit next to someone and look over their shoulder while you pair program. The only problem is with some people they like to try and flex their big nuts and over not really useful information in the code review just "Well I'd do it this way" and shit without actually addressing the code under review.
I know exactly what you mean. Or someone doesn't understand anything going on so they resort to large-scale ideas that don't require thought. Or someone has pet ideas or major disagreements with the direction so they propose something wildly different.
127be7e09fdf012f2fe600163e41dd5b

moontayle

Golden Squire
I hate to complain about someone else's work, especially since it does work, but with the ground-up redesign I'm doing on this tool, it's hard not to look at a block of code and go "What the hell were they thinking?" from time to time. It works, yes, but there's a lot of unnecessary shit in here. I mean, yesterday I took a method that was 277 lines in the current iteration and condensed it down to 31 with no loss of functionality. The more I work on this the more I think they were just throwing things together until it worked and going "Good enough!" before moving on to the next thing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had to brute force -or whatever the fuck you want to call it- write some code and I just felt like a shitty person doing it. No awesome efficient loops, nothing common, just one big diarrhea blast of poop in the codebase. When someone goes to fix that they'll feel like a hero

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
God i hate my coworker. He is captain fucking obvious and ask the dumbest fucking questions. Oh " i found out this and that".. me and the boss,.. we have been using those since 2 months ago...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been having to help a new member on the team, a hardware engineer with very basic coding knowledge, getting up to speed. Things like git/stash/etc are all beyond his comprehension right now.

I was there once though, so I just carry on.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have mentored junior guys for the past 5 years now, and i have zero problem with it.

The problem is that this guys is supposed to be at the same level as me, andhe cant even merge his own code... and on top of that, well just read the thread for my history with him.

The other option is that he is just pretending to be dumb just so I do more work... (this is my wives theory). I'm about to tell him, before you call me over, at least google the problem.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have mentored junior guys for the past 5 years now, and i have zero problem with it.

The problem is that this guys is supposed to be at the same level as me, andhe cant even merge his own code... and on top of that, well just read the thread for my history with him.

The other option is that he is just pretending to be dumb just so I do more work... (this is my wives theory). I'm about to tell him, before you call me over, at least google the problem.
People who ask incessant questions, you have to teach them not to come to you. Never answer their question. Give them the slightest bit of info and tell them where to go look to find the answer. Them coming to you will just create more work for them so they'll stop.

moontayle

Golden Squire
People who ask incessant questions, you have to teach them not to come to you. Never answer their question. Give them the slightest bit of info and tell them where to go look to find the answer. Them coming to you will just create more work for them so they'll stop.
If he sends an email just email him back with links to StackOverflow and Google. Give him an appropriate amount of time to figure it out, based on how fast you think the problem can be solved versus how long you think it might take him to solve, then head over and ask what he learned. Make sure to CC your boss and bring him over when you to go ask as well. If he's as bad as you make him out to be, then he'll have done next to nothing. A few times like that and a trip to the front door with all his belongings might be in the works.