IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I don't like strong rules but generally I agree. Exceptions shouldn't be used to control program flow, they should be used to jump the control up some number of layers.
Our application? Entire methods are wrapped in try/catch blocks (oh, and these methods are often dozens of lines).
mad.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Our application? Entire methods are wrapped in try/catch blocks (oh, and these methods are often dozens of lines).
mad.png
On one of the projects I'm on it is against the Checkstyles to have multiple returns in any method. Yes it is actually illegal and yes warnings will alarm in the build. So we have literally 300 line try/catch blocks simply because you need to catch and deal with the exception and set whatever the fuck bean you're supposed to return to null so it goes down the final line of return whateverTheFuck; It is the most ass backwards bullshit in the universe.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
In that topic, you can show a horse the water, but you cant force it to drink. My co-worker now is asking me about how to do exceptions with Web API, and HTTP return codes.
So I told him, only use exceptions for something catastrophic, and then return a 500 when that happens. Well that translated to "if the user send the incorrect parameters, that generates an exception =( .. instead of just returning a 400 right away."

Here is my ideal code snipet
His
Basically his is what you should not do.
scratch-head-gif-f.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
On one of the projects I'm on it is against the Checkstyles to have multiple returns in any method. Yes it is actually illegal and yes warnings will alarm in the build. So we have literally 300 line try/catch blocks simply because you need to catch and deal with the exception and set whatever the fuck bean you're supposed to return to null so it goes down the final line of return whateverTheFuck; It is the most ass backwards bullshit in the universe.
Why would someone be against multiple returns in a function?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It's called the SESE principle, an outdated concept(single entrance single exit). It comes from old languages with explicit resource management.
The original benefit, one of them, was to avoid developers exiting the method earlier and leaving memory leaks behind. On modern day languages, this is outdated as the resources are cleared automatically. Nowadays readability win over these old practices. Now if you are using explicit resource management, it is not a bad idea to do SESE, since that means you can guarantee you are not leaving memory leaks behind.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Vinen

God is dead
I bought this book:
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship: Robert C. Martin: 9780132350884: Amazon.com: Books

because it's been a couple years since I've read a 'programming' book.

After spending a small amount of time reading it I feel like it'll either have things I already know and agree with, or things in it that I disagree with. Any interest in me posting the things I disagree with in here to elicit some arguments to change my mind?
I don't trust anything using the word Agile.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I have a problem with using the word Sprint when it comes to do with anything related to coding. I know this is a mindset but my mind translates "Sprint" into "Rush" and ends up with shit like late night bug-offs to meet a deadline that might not have been achievable in the first place (I saw this way too often when I was a Release Manager). Methodologies have their place but too often I feel their only use is to give people with no discernible development skills a way to make money off the development community by fast-talking a bottle of snake-oil.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I bought it blindly when someone recommended it and I saw it had good reviews, it wasn't till I opened it that I saw agile and was a little disappointed.

I feel like agile (And other 'how to write software' techniques) gets a worse reputation than it deserves because of the people being proponents of it. Awkward comparison: It's like the gym rats who are small but swear by a given vascularizer (ex:Amazon.com: BSN N.O.-XPLODE 2.0 - Blue Raz, 2.48 lb (50 Servings): Health Personal Care) or other supplement. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, but the incredible focus on it combined with poor results from the person puts people off to whatever idea they're pushing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I feel like AGILE/SCRUM proponents here are like the goddamn crossfitters. They never shut the hell up about it.

Vinen

God is dead
I am thinking on doing this degree at this place:Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

Is this a shitty diploma mill that anyone has heard of? I don't "need" a degree but with a lot of their classes being directly related to industry certs I figured why not.

Any time I read "capstone" though I think diploma mill.
Find an accredited public university which offers night classes. Fuck online classes.