IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

I have a 4.0 and study hard. Right now I am sitting at a low A in that class (perfect scores on labs, high b's on exams.) I'd like to keep it a 4.0 to make myself more marketable for an internship this summer so possibly losing it over some silly syntax mistakes that would be caught and corrected after the first compile/test run is beyond irritating.

That being said, I am so glad I switched majors to computer science. I fuckin love this shit. It really exercises my brain in a good way and I find it very satisfying solving challenges using logic instead of google or memorizing formulas and methods.

Vinen

God is dead
I have a 4.0 and study hard. Right now I am sitting at a low A in that class (perfect scores on labs, high b's on exams.) I'd like to keep it a 4.0 to make myself more marketable for an internship this summer so possibly losing it over some silly syntax mistakes that would be caught and corrected after the first compile/test run is beyond irritating.

That being said, I am so glad I switched majors to computer science. I fuckin love this shit. It really exercises my brain in a good way and I find it very satisfying solving challenges using logic instead of google or memorizing formulas and methods.
Sounds like you have a terrible professor.

That is god forsaken hillarious. You should never quiz someone on language specific code syntax in a document.

We arn't using punchcards anymore

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
is limiting the scope of a variable to a loop a c++ thing and not a c thing? That code looks perfectly fine to me. Retarded professor going to retard.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've almost always used C++ instead of straight C, but in C you have to declare your variables at the top of the function so the compiler knows what memory to allocate (I think). So you can't put your declaration in the for loop.

You can always tell when a developer spent a lot of time in C because they'll tend to put their variable declarations at the top of their function more than other.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've almost always used C++ instead of straight C, but in C you have to declare your variables at the top of the function so the compiler knows what memory to allocate (I think). So you can't put your declaration in the for loop.

You can always tell when a developer spent a lot of time in C because they'll tend to put their variable declarations at the top of their function more than other.
Welcome to my life.. compiler yells so bad if you declare it later on and it won't run. Sometimes requires some awkward finagling to get it to run right. We use some proprietary BIOS IDE that I'm sure cost a lot of money but basically sucks ass - extremely limited, I may as well be typing up all my code in Notepad++ (and sometimes I do). We mostly use it because it had custom build hooks and shit that make the building process easy.

The writing out text as code is something a lot of people have to do first year or so I think. I think they want to see what bullshit you can remember, and not having access to the computer makes you think harder or something. I agree that it's terrible because you can't really run your code and see what it does, you just sort of have to guess.

Anecdotal but the worst example of this I ever had was a VHDL class. If you don't know what VHDL is, it's ok because mostly electrical/computer engineers use it to build virtual logic stuff. We were building a virtual 32-bit RISC machine on a spartan board and had to design the computer from the ground up - shadow registers, stack pointer, DRAM, ALU, keyboard buffer, VGA driver all this stuff designed by us. The professor wanted us to write, by hand, how to implement the VGA driver to our best ability. Knocked off absurd amount of points for bad syntax, functionality that didn't work, and other crazy shit. It was hard enough doing this project as is, but to do it on a test by hand was nuts. I got an A in the class, but that test made me hate the professor.

Most of my other classes let us write code on the lab PC's where the professor had some switch where he could cut off the internet. You were allowed to use your old source files, MUCH LIKE IN THE REAL WORLD, so that was good.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Welcome to my life.. compiler yells so bad if you declare it later on and it won't run. Sometimes requires some awkward finagling to get it to run right. We use some proprietary BIOS IDE that I'm sure cost a lot of money but basically sucks ass - extremely limited, I may as well be typing up all my code in Notepad++ (and sometimes I do). We mostly use it because it had custom build hooks and shit that make the building process easy.

The writing out text as code is something a lot of people have to do first year or so I think. I think they want to see what bullshit you can remember, and not having access to the computer makes you think harder or something. I agree that it's terrible because you can't really run your code and see what it does, you just sort of have to guess.

Anecdotal but the worst example of this I ever had was a VHDL class. If you don't know what VHDL is, it's ok because mostly electrical/computer engineers use it to build virtual logic stuff. We were building a virtual 32-bit RISC machine on a spartan board and had to design the computer from the ground up - shadow registers, stack pointer, DRAM, ALU, keyboard buffer, VGA driver all this stuff designed by us. The professor wanted us to write, by hand, how to implement the VGA driver to our best ability. Knocked off absurd amount of points for bad syntax, functionality that didn't work, and other crazy shit. It was hard enough doing this project as is, but to do it on a test by hand was nuts. I got an A in the class, but that test made me hate the professor.

Most of my other classes let us write code on the lab PC's where the professor had some switch where he could cut off the internet. You were allowed to use your old source files, MUCH LIKE IN THE REAL WORLD, so that was good.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
IMO all programming exams should be completely open book/computer/Google. Half of what I do at work is not knowing the answer but needing to know how to figure out the answer with only half a picture of what is actually going on. I can understand where your professor is getting at (esp if this is like Programming 101 and not a higher level course) to make you learn and memorize some of the syntax but it isn't required anymore. Anytime you make a syntax error your IDE will either auto-correct it or underline it telling you "Hey fucktard this is wrong."

We live in a day in age of everyone having broadband and everyone having access to all knowledge. To force people to reinvent the wheel by memorizing shit was valid when you'd have to open up a 1300 page C book to figure out your error. Stack Overflow has made modern programming almost trivial.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
IMO all programming exams should be completely open book/computer/Google. Half of what I do at work is not knowing the answer but needing to know how to figure out the answer with only half a picture of what is actually going on. I can understand where your professor is getting at (esp if this is like Programming 101 and not a higher level course) to make you learn and memorize some of the syntax but it isn't required anymore. Anytime you make a syntax error your IDE will either auto-correct it or underline it telling you "Hey fucktard this is wrong."

We live in a day in age of everyone having broadband and everyone having access to all knowledge. To force people to reinvent the wheel by memorizing shit was valid when you'd have to open up a 1300 page C book to figure out your error. Stack Overflow has made modern programming almost trivial.
You really know you're in some shit though when you google that one error and...

rrr_img_91162.png

Tenks

Haha that is like 9/10 of all Linux/Bash questions I google. Java and 3rd parties I rarely encounter that it seems. The worst is when they say "NM figured it out" with no other explanation.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's two big bookcases at my current job full of programming textbooks. I use it to hold my coat.

Tenks

Truth I have some old programming books propping up a side of my couch. I can't do that with my eBooks.

Vinen

God is dead
Truth I have some old programming books propping up a side of my couch. I can't do that with my eBooks.
Rofl, same here but with my computer desk. The leg broke when my wife and I moved so I propped it up with books.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I've still got text books from when I was in college for CS from the late 90's. Might be useful someday, right??
smile.png

Tenks

I still have my book detailing all the exciting new features of Java 3 somewhere

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've got Beginning Visual C++ 5 Programming still on my book shelf. I tried to learn how to program really young and it didn't work.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Learning pointers in middle school might actually be detrimental. Took me forever to correct that block.