IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if I know any full time Python programmers. We do Python for some one-off scripting where we don't feel like doing it in Bash/Perl but I don't know anyone that sits at their desk and chugs away Python all day erry day. I wonder if the results are slanted because many companies look for Python knowledge because it is pretty powerful and flexible but that isn't the primary language they use.
True, but someone has to do these testing jobs.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The way passing by reference works, is actually pointers, so you are sort of using pointers, but without the memory management part of it.

Btw new ASP.net 5 and mvc 6 is the tits.

Regarding popularity. If it wasn't for the advent of mobile development, i think C# would have been at a higher penetration rate than currently. I would love it to become number 1!!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I get that passing by reference and pointers are very similar. I actually like the verboseness of dereferencing or passing a pointer. It's very obvious the kind of fuckery that could follow.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I use references whenever possible and pointers when it's not possible. Pointers are much more versatile and much easier to screw up.

My OOP class is finally using cpp (the first 3 weeks were C) and ofc we are dealing with pointers now. So far so good but the notation chosen just seems odd. Using * to de-reference stuff, seems like they could have made a better choice or at least something more intuitive. I definitely prefer Java still and I am glad my data structure's class is Java based. My hardest class, by far, is machine code and organization. I rarely am the type to blame the teacher but man this guy just reads powerpoints word for word. Little to no code examples, or working through a problem in class. What's worse is there is no book. Just a damn manual for the AVR controller/Arduino Board. I am looking into buying a book ASAP or maybe checking MITs opencourse catalog for something similar. It is also the hardest class to find code examples for because all the Arduino resources I can find are written in C. Meh I can only blame myself but I definitely feel like this instructor is setting us up for failure.

To elaborate, the actual coding part isnt difficult. It may be annoying but as long as you can think things logically, you can solve the problem. It is questions about memory range or questions like this "How many bytes are used to encode instruction STS [Addr], Rd? How many bits are used to encode the operand? What is the range of address that this instruction supports?" when there are two different STS instructions. I mean it isn't nearly as difficult as some of the physics classes I had but without a book or some references to go off of besides his powerpoints, I feel a bit lost.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think the greatest point those "market saturation" graphics drove home is.... you have about a 50/50 shot on your education being meaningful in your career. If you get into non managed code, your degree will help you immensely. If you get into managed code you'll piss and moan that your degree meant exactly jack and shit.

I can't believe the reports in this thread about what they/you are still learning in school. It's the same shit they taught me 15 years ago.

Vinen

God is dead
I think the greatest point those "market saturation" graphics drove home is.... you have about a 50/50 shot on your education being meaningful in your career. If you get into non managed code, your degree will help you immensely. If you get into managed code you'll piss and moan that your degree meant exactly jack and shit.

I can't believe the reports in this thread about what they/you are still learning in school. It's the same shit they taught me 15 years ago.
Having worked in both.
Fuck unmanaged code.

C# is seriously the best language in the history of programming. It's so sad to see how terrible Java is in comparison.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I, too, have heard the C# shits on Java statement over and over but I've never actually seen a concise list of the features C# holds over Java. Only thing off the top of my head is I know in C# you can choose to manage or unmanage segments of code. Which I think in my history of programming Java would have come in handy once.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My OOP class is finally using cpp (the first 3 weeks were C) and ofc we are dealing with pointers now. So far so good but the notation chosen just seems odd. Using * to de-reference stuff, seems like they could have made a better choice or at least something more intuitive. I definitely prefer Java still and I am glad my data structure's class is Java based. My hardest class, by far, is machine code and organization. I rarely am the type to blame the teacher but man this guy just reads powerpoints word for word. Little to no code examples, or working through a problem in class. What's worse is there is no book. Just a damn manual for the AVR controller/Arduino Board. I am looking into buying a book ASAP or maybe checking MITs opencourse catalog for something similar. It is also the hardest class to find code examples for because all the Arduino resources I can find are written in C. Meh I can only blame myself but I definitely feel like this instructor is setting us up for failure.

To elaborate, the actual coding part isnt difficult. It may be annoying but as long as you can think things logically, you can solve the problem. It is questions about memory range or questions like this "How many bytes are used to encode instruction STS [Addr], Rd? How many bits are used to encode the operand? What is the range of address that this instruction supports?" when there are two different STS instructions. I mean it isn't nearly as difficult as some of the physics classes I had but without a book or some references to go off of besides his powerpoints, I feel a bit lost.
The best way to deal with those classes is to have a full spec for your board handy and a resource on whatever language you happen to be using. The professors love forcing asm/machine/whatever language because you specifically can't look that stuff up really. All my personal projects on the RPi/Arduino are written in C (or python)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

The best way to deal with those classes is to have a full spec for your board handy and a resource on whatever language you happen to be using. The professors love forcing asm/machine/whatever language because you specifically can't look that stuff up really. All my personal projects on the RPi/Arduino are written in C (or python)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Working with arduino must be nice for those classes. Massive userbase and community compared to what we had 5 or ten years ago.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had to use some strange board with some motorola processor on it, you couldn't find shit for info online except examples in C.

Working with arduino must be nice for those classes. Massive userbase and community compared to what we had 5 or ten years ago.
If we were using C, I'd agree with you but there aren't many examples in assembly. MIT and other good tech schools seem to use C with the Arduino board as well because that is the only examples I've come across. Even when I go to their own website, everything is in C. Pretty much what Noodlemod said.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any recommendations for a good python IDE? I'm currently using Notepad++ with some plugins, but I would really like some intellisense functionality.