IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
There was/is a story going around quora/hackernews/reddit/whatever about experienced developers failing the FizzBuzz test. Does this actually happen? Seems unbelievable.
Yes, very often. I won't lie thought, I am the most Senior person (non-manager) among a team of around 100 and I haven't checked anything into source control in over a year.

Kinda sad
frown.png
All my time is spent guiding.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How do you fail that test? I've never been asked it, had to google it, but it seems pretty simple.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah i didnt believe it when i first read about it. But then i saw the same story pop up everywhere with tons of people stating that its true. Shits mind blowing.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My favorite is the project's description

FizzBuzz Enterprise Edition is a no-nonsense implementation of FizzBuzz made by a serious businessman for serious business purposes.

I just received good news which I am super excited about. I got an internship with my university this summer as a research assistant! It is only part-time (20 hours) but I am just happy I will get some experience under my belt.

I will be working with data mining algorithms (new and existing) to analyze power data and other similar time series data. So now it is not only crunch time for finals but also an entire field of CS I know very little about. Here is to NOT looking like a fool!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Healthcare huh? BIG time opportunity in healthcare IT by the way. It's the most ancient, archaic, in need of updating technology infrastructure across the board. To give you an idea the main healthcare IT standards board known as HL7 is just now building and releasing a recommendation/specification for a service based architecture. Currently almost all real time data trading in healthcare is done over a very basic, very low level protocol called MLLP and there is no encryption or security built into it so you HAVE to use VPN tunnels to do any data trading.
I work in a very large healthcare IT company and while a lot of that is true industry wide, we've also been using a large amount of the V3 spec as well as IHE interoperability stuff, which is all soap services and offers a lot more security options. We also do make use of a lot of current technologies. Wouldn't want the impression to be that all of healthcare IT is ancient stuff because a lot of people wouldn't like to be involved in that (I know I wouldn't).

Vinen

God is dead
I just received good news which I am super excited about. I got an internship with my university this summer as a research assistant! It is only part-time (20 hours) but I am just happy I will get some experience under my belt.

I will be working with data mining algorithms (new and existing) to analyze power data and other similar time series data. So now it is not only crunch time for finals but also an entire field of CS I know very little about. Here is to NOT looking like a fool!
You will be an intern. Intern's are generally expected to be incompetent and make mistakes
smile.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
in python:

for i in range(1, 101):
print("FizzBuzz"[i * i % 3 * 4:8 - -i ** 4 % 5] or i)

board doesnt do indents? da fuk. Insert 4 spaces at the start of second line. :/

What I find most fascinating about FizzBuzz is that almost no one ever realizes that, instead of checking for divisibility by both 3 and 5, you can check for divisibility by 15.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Here is one using group theory. (c/c++)

#include <cstdio>

int main(){

const char *f[] = {
"%d", "%d", "Fizz", "%d", "Buzz", "Fizz", "%d", "%d",
"Fizz", "Buzz", "%d", "Fizz", "%d", "%d", "FizzBuzz",
};

for (int k = 0; k < 100; k++) {
printf(f[k % 15], k + 1);
printf("\n");
}

return 0;
}

Vinen

God is dead
God I love examples of code that should be never committed to a source control system. (Yes, I know Fizzbuzz is purely an exercise)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
God I love examples of code that should be never committed to a source control system. (Yes, I know Fizzbuzz is purely an exercise)
Lol imagine busting one of those, especially the second example i posted, out at an interview? I am pretty sure i'd get kicked the fuck out of there.

I am, however, a huge fan of mental masturbation and this is a wonderful way to do so.

Vinen

God is dead
Lol imagine busting one of those, especially the second example i posted, out at an interview? I am pretty sure i'd get kicked the fuck out of there.

I am, however, a huge fan of mental masturbation and this is a wonderful way to do so.
Yeah, I've actually done that before. Someone thought they were being a smart-ass. I can't remember what hole they dug after I asked them something along of the lines of "Would you expect another team member to understand this in a reasonable amount of time". They more or less knew that one answer had lost them a job.

I always preface interview questions with please provide code that could be checked into a production source branch.

//Was a MIT graduate

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oh jeez, too much crap.

Ruby:
I love Ruby simplicity
smile.png
Dont look at what I posted as a sign of complexity. It looks complicated just to look complicated. And short, I wanted the python one to be short. I think i can write the whole thing in one statement in python and but not c++ (without resorting to bit manipulation fuckery).

here is a nice and easy python one:

for i in range(1,101): print("Fizz"*(i%3==0) + "Buzz"*(i%5==0) or i)