IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've seen a lot places implement TFS to basically only do what SVN does. In which case, I'd way rather use SVN as well.

I've worked with dudes who refuse to learn how to use a debugger as well because they can just write print statements to debug.

Whatever version of SVN they use doesn't have the sweet ass Code Merge tool that TFS does. That alone makes me use TFS before anything else. That and the versioning is more organized IMO.Combined with the total integration into Visual Studio where I do most of my work its a no brainer.

But I get that the part of the company developing in Java may not want it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You want lol? I've had 4-5 clients come to me and beg us to offer a "hosted exchange" solution..

So we buy O365 accounts under their name/domain (that we register), charge 'em cost for the mailbox licenses and charge setup/maintenance fees....While explaining exactly what we're doing...And they're super happy to pay that shit....its "if we can just submit a ticket and get you guys to fix/setup shit, we're happy to write a check"
Services and Support is where companies make money. If you're responsive and able to fix shit, that should earn that pay check (until the powers that be at your customer decide they can do without support because it's cheaper).

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Services and Support is where companies make money. If you're responsive and able to fix shit, that should earn that pay check (until the powers that be at your customer decide they can do without support because it's cheaper).

Our clients rely WAY too heavily on us for things they shouldn't....It'll be quite a while before they stop looking to us for everything under the sun, I'd imagine. Til then, $$$$$

Elsebet

Peasant
Half of my company uses TFS (which has badass Source Control features) the other half is old people who mostly used to work at HP and only want to use Tortoise SVN... boggles the fucking mind.

We are finally moving to Git (Collabnet Git plugin, GitEye as the client) from SVN before January 2017 and my team is the first to migrate. I have to say my IT department is so backwards that I am pleasantly surprised when a team uses any source code control at all here.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Whatever version of SVN they use doesn't have the sweet ass Code Merge tool that TFS does. That alone makes me use TFS before anything else. That and the versioning is more organized IMO.Combined with the total integration into Visual Studio where I do most of my work its a no brainer.

But I get that the part of the company developing in Java may not want it.
Which is a good thing they make TFS/Git plugins for the popular IDEs. I've been pushing for Git almost since I got here but our Director wants to use TFS since we've technically paid for it as part of our VS licenses. And somewhere along the way Microsoft decided, hey we should make this work with Git, it being one of the most popular VCS programs out there. So best of both worlds I guess.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not only that, but isn't O365 sort of wrecking that?
I'd also be doing on-prem-to-O365 migrations too. There's an awful lot more new on-prem Exchange+Skype4Business environments being built than you'd think, though. People who want the features without actually moving to Microsoft's cloud, I guess.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've seen a lot places implement TFS to basically only do what SVN does. In which case, I'd way rather use SVN as well.

I've worked with dudes who refuse to learn how to use a debugger as well because they can just write print statements to debug.
I've only worked on hardware and embedded systems and can't really use traditional debuggers. I feel that's one area I lack in.

Although I used a hardware debugger almost everyday on pentium processors debugging assembly so I have that.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So, if anybody wants an interesting story, here goes:

I got AT&T Fiber about 2 weeks ago now. 1GB up/down. Very nice.

Problem: Couldn't connect to various large websites. cnn.com wouldn't load, espn.com, apple.com (app store won't load!) but "most" things worked. Couldn't connect to the battle.net website but could connect to game servers.

I identified early on that it was mostly akamai CDN sites that were fubaring me. Most normal websites (such as rerolled) worked, but lots of big sites that used edge servers to host art assets, js/css, etc were fucked.

It took a long time to get to the level of network admins that had any idea what I was talking about or wanted me to do anything but delete my browser cookies. Finally I got someone on the line that knew what they were doing and starting checking the backbone routes on ntt.

Turns out, Frontier was using my IP (and the IP of a bunch of other random AT&T customers, since AT&T didn't used to own this 23.122 /12) and so a bunch of the backbone routes were fucked and my return traffic was getting dumped to frontier and then lost.

Once they got that resolved, AT&T Fiber is awesome. I dropped a 2.5GB load of docs to dropbox and it uploaded in 2.5 minutes. LOL

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Problem: Couldn't connect to various large websites. cnn.com wouldn't load, espn.com, apple.com (app store won't load!) but "most" things worked. Couldn't connect to the battle.net website but could connect to game servers.

I identified early on that it was mostly akamai CDN sites that were fubaring me. Most normal websites (such as rerolled) worked, but lots of big sites that used edge servers to host art assets, js/css, etc were fucked.

It took a long time to get to the level of network admins that had any idea what I was talking about or wanted me to do anything but delete my browser cookies. Finally I got someone on the line that knew what they were doing and starting checking the backbone routes on ntt.

Turns out, Frontier was using my IP (and the IP of a bunch of other random AT&T customers, since AT&T didn't used to own this 23.122 /12) and so a bunch of the backbone routes were fucked and my return traffic was getting dumped to frontier and then lost.

Once they got that resolved, AT&T Fiber is awesome. I dropped a 2.5GB load of docs to dropbox and it uploaded in 2.5 minutes. LOL
You should have just turned it off and turned it back on again.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

As a network dude, this story gives me boner. :D

So AT&T is sharing a /12 with Frontier, and neither Frontier and AT&T haven't split it off into their on subnets?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
As a network dude, this story gives me boner. :D

So AT&T is sharing a /12 with Frontier, and neither Frontier and AT&T haven't split it off into their on subnets?

I think AT&T acquired that /12, because they didn't used to have u-verse on 23.112.0.0. But I really have no idea how that works. Some routes in some of the global ipv4 lookups still had frontier routes for that subnet. So I'd contact an akamai CDN and when it tried to talk back, the traffic would get misrouted...

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Man, Office 365... We had a C-level exec experience inbox corruption. Microsoft hasn't been able to fix or do anything about it for two weeks now. We had to make a rule to pipe mail to a temp mailbox while we hope to get the old one going. We have a backup that they provide, but it's fairly old and missing two days worth of email.

I thought that was the entire point of Exchange on Office 365? That they took care of shit like this. It was only an 18gb mailbox, too.

Not impressed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had my first live test today at work, even had to use my clearance.

Impressed people and I'm basically killing it here.

Been about 2 months and I like it a ton more than working at Akamai. Quality of life is way better too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I've come here to rant because I have no one else to share my frustrations with that understands what the fuck I'm talking about.

So our company's application is a Silverlight app that is quickly becoming a problem because newer browsers are not allowing the plug-in to function. Having said that, Silverlight was actually pretty damn great because it was a complete Microsoft framework based on .NET, so development was pretty easy for the most part.

About a year ago we formed a research group that looked into the various technologies out there to decide which to migrate to. Late this summer they revealed that we would begin moving new features to a web app built on Angular 2. So, I was moved to a new team to begin development on an application framework built on Angular 2 and ASP.NET Core MVC for the new features.

I'm already somewhat familiar with other web technologies out there -- I've worked with ASP.NET MVC, Node with Express, Handlebars, Typescript, and KnockoutJS, Bootstrap 3, etc. Stuff that's been out there for a while. I'm no expert, but I've created a few helper apps for our company built on some of this stuff.

But, man, this Angular 2 stuff so far has been AWFUL. A total lesson in frustration. Half our time is spent Googling around trying to figure out why X, Y, or Z isn't working. Documentation is terrible and a lot of the information out there is outdated since so many breaking changes have been introduced to the framework over the course of it's development (by the way, it was just RECENTLY released. So this entire past year the research team has been fucking around with alpha and beta versions).

What pisses me off the most is that the ONE thing our application most commonly does is display data in a table/grid. We actually need a pretty full featured datagrid -- something that allows sorting, filtering, exporting of data in CSV or Excel, etc. NONE OF THIS EXISTS yet for Angular 2. Our feature team has mocked up this super fancy datagrid and I'm like, "UHM, do you actually think we are supposed to create this?" Entire businesses are built around creating feature-rich widgets. Believe me, our development staff isn't that talented. I know I'm not.

And that's the crux of the issue for me. They were so paranoid about going with a framework that will be out dated at some point that they went with something so new that it's not only buggy but lacking supporting features that are integral to our application. Now they're breathing down our neck to get this shit prepared for an actual feature addition but, oh well, sorry there is no datagrid, datepicker, etc. etc. out there yet for Angular 2 (at least one that's based on the new material 2 design -- can't use Boostrap or JqueryUI widgets FYI).

Fuck, man. Someone should be fired over this horrible decision.
I told you about this.
Shaky, I would go with react, instead of angular. Angular has a very steep learning curve, and if you are used to just doing server side stuff, you will struggle. If you look at this thread 1 year ago we implemented a angular subsite. I regret not using react, as it is a lot more easier to use than angular. You can even plug it into an Mvc architecture with Api as the way of giving out information.

With angular you will spend a lot of time in JS debugging, for me it was hard.
I honestly will not recommend angular, and stick with react JS.

Go React it is a lot easier.
Angular should be burned, what a horrible and convoluted infrastructure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Had my first live test today at work, even had to use my clearance.

Impressed people and I'm basically killing it here.

Been about 2 months and I like it a ton more than working at Akamai. Quality of life is way better too.

And you won't see a decent pay-raise for years. Not to mention "killing-it" at a Defense Contractor means you can breath.