IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Possible sure. In those cases we usually set the review to needs rework and have the person rearchitect their solution

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Committed code yesterday (a new protocol, part of an API you could say). Young engineer needed to use it but also edit it. He kept coming over every 5 minutes telling me how much he was ripping it a part. It almost was like he had some pride that he was killing a seniors code. Whatever bro, that shits gotta pass a code review.

The stuff that bothered me the most is there are EDK2 wrappers around functions that improve security. He removed the wrapper calls and did the low level function calls with no protection. Changing that under me made no sense...

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Food for thought: if responding to review comments ends up with ~75% of previously functioning code rewritten, is it at least possible the reviewer was being unreasonable? I'm not saying they're being malicious, that it was intentional, or that their suggestions were bad. More of a "out of scope" question.
The person doing the review should be reviewing the code for bugs, performance issues, and coding standards. They should not, however, be reviewing it based on how they would have done it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The person doing the review should be reviewing the code for bugs, performance issues, and coding standards. They should not, however, be reviewing it based on how they would have done it.
There is definitely a bit of the latter going on. I'm trying out a new(to me) framework, Python doit, based on the reviewer's initial suggestion and reinforced by his supervisor. Who is also my supervisor for this contract. So, since they essentially sold me this bill of goods, I'm trusting the reviewer's opinions on my merge request. At least, more than I normally would. Especially since this is my first time coding in Python 3(years of experience with 2).

I'm a bit annoyed that I spent hours implementing his suggestions only to find some of them don't work. If I knew the framework better, I could have seen this from the start. But he definitely should have seen that.

For example, doit does not handle classic "--feature/--no_feature" boolean flags. So I'm getting around this with by parsing k=v pairs myself, but still depending on doit to get the raw inputs off the commandline. Doit is a typical build tool, it won't parse the commandline immediately, only once "tasks" start executing. My reviewer suggested I make my commandline flags global for documentation's sake and so that they could be used as metavars to determine tasks' uptodateness.

Yeah, that doesn't work, python executes global well before any tasks, so they are initializing to the wrong value.

Also, he keeps pushing for file configuration instead of commandline flags like they're the same thing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got to be a rockstar at work this week by saving us $400k/year in ETL costs.

I've been tearing up our data warehouse because whatever contractor they paid to put it together did some really weird shit. Like completely unnecessary. I redid a bunch of it and cut out our ETL service for like 90% of what they were charging us for. The past year of working here most of what I have done was reorganize their financial data and automated the billing system as much as I could. Then I spent a lot of time automating stuff and refining various aspects of our business to scale more efficiently.

Then I found that we had like 60 ghost accounts. Users who cancelled their account but retained access to our product and kept using it for year(s) lol. So we're re-selling them now. I don't envy the poor customer success people who have to have that conversation with them.

That said. Building out our own ETL was quite tedious. Do not recommend.

Now I need to buildout a way to make errors more visible.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Any suggestions here for using voice to text transcription software for software design/debugging/brainstorming meetings?

I am looking to experiment with recording & transcribing some meetings. Were are just using ipad Pros w pencils for notes in iOS Notability atm but would like to pull the text and voice recordings off and transcribe on Linux or Windows. Due to nature of the software and both privacy, security issues the transcribing must be through offline local processing (server or device) without involvement of cloud services or apps.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My work is wanting to go down the path of millions and millions of dollars of Splunk.

Who else is in this world?

Heh I think all gov at this point. Ive gotten pretty good with it though and built some really useful stuff. It's definitely a money pit though and takes some serious time investment on behalf of the people who administer and develop it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Heh I think all gov at this point. Ive gotten pretty good with it though and built some really useful stuff. It's definitely a money pit though and takes some serious time investment on behalf of the people who administer and develop it.
Still here with me?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Any suggestions here for using voice to text transcription software for software design/debugging/brainstorming meetings?

I am looking to experiment with recording & transcribing some meetings. Were are just using ipad Pros w pencils for notes in iOS Notability atm but would like to pull the text and voice recordings off and transcribe on Linux or Windows. Due to nature of the software and both privacy, security issues the transcribing must be through offline local processing (server or device) without involvement of cloud services or apps.
I would imagine almost any modern company would bar the use of this as a security concerns

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
People will be paying Google and Amazon to do that shit for them before too long, if they aren't already.
I haven't tried it but Teams has done this for a while:

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My work is wanting to go down the path of millions and millions of dollars of Splunk.

Who else is in this world?

We just purchased a company specifically to have their product so we could get off splunk and stop paying them.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
What kind of PDU do I need in a european datacenter?

for example: If I order a juniper firewall, is there a "european version" of the hardware that runs on 220vac? And therefore I would need a PDU that outputs 220v. Or should I order a PDU for that takes in 220vac and provides 120vac to the rack?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
What kind of PDU do I need in a european datacenter?
This depends on the hardware and your rack. Most power supplies nowadays can handle both 110V and 220V (which is 230V really, because the european power grid is mostly harmonized and we had both 220V and 240V.

Our racks (Germany) have mostly IEC 60320 C13/C14, and C19 for big stuff like blade centers. The CEE type connectors we use in buildings (like your NEMA) are pretty uncommon inside racks:

One exception may be the UK, because people living on island tend to get funny with time.

Edit: For example the Juniper SSG5 really takes 12V DC, but the AC power supply that comes with it is certified 100-240 VAC.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I use VS Code literally every day at work and I didn't know this was possible. He had locally stored files and was going to commit them to stage to then push to his git and it discarded the files he was going to stage that happened to be on his local machine. From what I am seeing here by prepping his local for stage and discarding it it then deleted the files he intended to load. Without them ever getting to stage.

Interesting.

Whenever I make new shit the very first thing I do is create a repository for it. Unless I am making some one off thing for a Lambda.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My guess is the idiot had thousands of build artifacts and git didn't know any better, so it included everything. He freaked out, misread a blatant warning message, and hopefully learned a very painful lesson.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
While we're on the topic of VS Code, someone suggested this module to me last week: Developing on Remote Machines using SSH and Visual Studio Code

It's fantastic. I no longer consider VS Code lightweight if you do any sort of linting. But it's a good IDE either way, so whatever. This let's you offload some of those processes onto some other (likely more powerful) computer. And that's not trivial either, linting a thousands of lines Python file can actually take a half minute.

It's also a great argument against vi/vim/emacs. If I don't have to work directly from a console anymore, what purpose do those editors serve? Something with a non-gay UI like Nano will serve in times where you just need to quickly edit a file.