John Wick: Chapter Two (2017)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think you're using words you don't know the meaning of. Sin City was pastiche and cliches cranked to eleven. Jason Bourne had shitty camera work that negated any visual punch of the action.

Bourne turned all action movies into that quick cut horseshit. I will never forgive that shit franchise.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Bourne turned all action movies into that quick cut horseshit. I will never forgive that shit franchise.

Agreed. John Wick isn't aiming for Citizen Kane, but if the success of JW makes action directors more likely to hold a steady camera at cool action, instead of using a gazillion cuts for every little non-issue, it's a win for everyone..

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The bulletproof suit was used in one sequence of scenes by 2 people and then didn't come up again because shit is rare presumably. Not sure I buy the complaint about it being "overused", unless you meant in movies in general, in which case even less of a real argument.

I'm going to have to rewatch the first one because I liked the soundtrack of this one a lot. I do have some complaints, mainly

Who in their right mind in the underground world of assassins would go after the person most feared and respected for 7 million dollars? Fuck, they're all specialized underground hitmen wearing tailored suits and using thousands of dollars worth of tools, 7 million cannot possibly be that much to them.

I also think it was out of character for Wick to break the rules at the end. He's been in so long, worked super hard and sacrificed to get out following their rules, and then just throws it all away. Perhaps it's just him changing from wanting to be out to wanting what he thinks is right now that his girl is gone, but it's not really explained at all.

Edit: To be clear though, I think this is an equal to the first film. They are a little bit different (the dialogue in this was more story, in the first a lot more quipping, things like that) but both great.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was a significant step back from the original. First you have the shoehorned marker background that drives the plot, then you have the stereotypical five-minutes-with-each-character-from-the-first, then (ironically in a movie with multiple Matrix actors), every named character but the siblings potentially survives so they can appear in later entries, and then finally the action just isn't as interesting anymore - we've reached diminishing returns on short range, short duration fights with faceless mooks. (Literally faceless - most of the time you can't even see their faces before they're dispatched, probably to hide that it's the same stunt team members getting killed over and over.)

To be clear, this would still have been my #5 movie of 2016, and I want to see where the mythology would go in 3, but this is not the equal of the original.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
The bulletproof suit was used in one sequence of scenes by 2 people and then didn't come up again because shit is rare presumably. Not sure I buy the complaint about it being "overused", unless you meant in movies in general, in which case even less of a real argument.

Actually I think he has it on in most of the movie after he gets it. Violin lady notices this and that's why she pushes her gun into his ribs and fires multiple times to break through at close range.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Actually I think he has it on in most of the movie after he gets it. Violin lady notices this and that's why she pushes her gun into his ribs and fires multiple times to break through at close range.

He also often uses it explicitly and intentionally pulling it up with one arm to shield himself a couple of times, which is a bit of a stretch for something like that (not made of vibranium), but hey, it's fun and neat.

I have no complaints about this series. My only comment, I guess I'll call it, is that Wick sure seems to be able to take a fuckton of punishment and has off-the-charts pain tolerance levels. But at least he DOES get beat the fuck up, unlike some movies where the hero is just untouched and pristine-looking after ridiculous fights.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
watched the first one last night (again) and the second in theaters tonight as a valentines day gift to myself. Thoroughly enjoyed both, not enough dog in the second but a minor quibble. Loved all the characters, Museum of Mirrors was fantastic and felt like a homage to Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. A lot of usual action movie tropes got turned on its head in the second one which was nice. Definitely a pair of movies that'll be worth rewatching once every year or two, and can't wait for John Wick 3. Hope they can get Carrie Anne Moss and Guy Pierce for it!

The movie is what Assassin's Creed SHOULD have been like, with all the mythical assassins order and stuff. It felt like a good mix of Hitman and Assassin's Creed in movie format.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Bourne was the progenitor of shaky cam and quick cuts? Damn, I still kinda liked that series :(

Yeah, it made it pretty unwatchable for me. If I wanted headache inducing shaky cam shiat I'd watch a vertical WORLDSTARRRR cell phone video :p

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
The movie is what Assassin's Creed SHOULD have been like, with all the mythical assassins order and stuff. It felt like a good mix of Hitman and Assassin's Creed in movie format.

Don't forget Wanted. Remember that piece of shit? This assassins mythos they built in this world is everything that Wanted tried to be and should have been.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

I'm going to have to rewatch the first one because I liked the soundtrack of this one a lot. I do have some complaints, mainly

Who in their right mind in the underground world of assassins would go after the person most feared and respected for 7 million dollars? Fuck, they're all specialized underground hitmen wearing tailored suits and using thousands of dollars worth of tools, 7 million cannot possibly be that much to them.

I also think it was out of character for Wick to break the rules at the end. He's been in so long, worked super hard and sacrificed to get out following their rules, and then just throws it all away. Perhaps it's just him changing from wanting to be out to wanting what he thinks is right now that his girl is gone, but it's not really explained at all.

Edit: To be clear though, I think this is an equal to the first film. They are a little bit different (the dialogue in this was more story, in the first a lot more quipping, things like that) but both great.

I think you are missing the chance to kill the best. John Wick is the boogeyman. His name goes out and people think, damn, hes been retired, I can take him and become the top guy. 7 million is the loot, but the prize is boxing with God and winning.

• 2Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
This was my Valentine's Day movie as well and we thought it was intense and excellent. I don't know if the sound in your theaters was turned up to 11 like ours, but good god that movie was loud. Between the cars and guns (dat shotgun tho), our ears were ringing by the end and we loved it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
While it has way more kills, that infographic is flat out wrong. None of the chop shop fights are (intended as, anyway) kills - he was trying to make peace with Stormare and pointedly did not go for confirmation headshots like he does everywhere else. And again, both of the knife "kills" aren't confirmed, in case they want to bring Common and Deaf?/Mute? Girl back in any sequels.

• 1Like

Ryanz

<Banned>
I enjoyed the action and camera work in these movies, but the dialogue from Keanu is just terrible. Can he not say more then a couple words? The entire first movie, and 3/4 of the 2nd his dialogue consisted of, "Sure", "Okay", or repeating exactly what the person just said to him. His dialogue in the matrix was basically the same as well. It became irritating to me. Then at the last quarter of the movie, he actually started responding with multiple sentences, and it made the movie feel less...awkward. What the hell is up with that? I understand it's an action movie and all, but god damn his dialogue is atrocious.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Mute chick is definitely dead in my mind. Common was pretty fucked though.

I would say Common has a (good) chance to be alive, as he tried to kill John because John killed his charge and they seemed to have a mutual respect and he told him he could live.

John pulled the knife out of Ruby Rose didnt he? I assumed he did and it was a call back to him telling Common that, by leaving the knife in, he was giving him a chance to survive and he was not giving her that chance.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I enjoyed the action and camera work in these movies, but the dialogue from Keanu is just terrible. Can he not say more then a couple words? The entire first movie, and 3/4 of the 2nd his dialogue consisted of, "Sure", "Okay", or repeating exactly what the person just said to him. His dialogue in the matrix was basically the same as well. It became irritating to me. Then at the last quarter of the movie, he actually started responding with multiple sentences, and it made the movie feel less...awkward. What the hell is up with that? I understand it's an action movie and all, but god damn his dialogue is atrocious.

So you were hoping he was playing a completely different character than in the first movie?

Thats not how sequels work.

• 2Like

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I would say Common has a (good) chance to be alive, as he tried to kill John because John killed his charge and they seemed to have a mutual respect and he told him he could live.

John pulled the knife out of Ruby Rose didnt he? I assumed he did and it was a call back to him telling Common that, by leaving the knife in, he was giving him a chance to survive and he was not giving her that chance.

That's how I interpreted it as well.