JRPGs

Goonsquad Officer
man i'm really thinking of getting star ocean second story. i played it back on playstation but my save got corrupted at the end.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I have only played like 6 hours... should I push through?

I think it's worth a play through for sure. Can always mess with the various relics to make the game easier/harder if you want to speed up or make it more challenging.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
man i'm really thinking of getting star ocean second story. i played it back on playstation but my save got corrupted at the end.
It's a really good game and a huge improvement over the older versions. Still way too easy to trivialize it though, even without trying.

About the only thing I don't like is that most of the time the 2D pixel sprites look ok against the 3D backgrounds but every once in a while it looks really bad. Especially some of the enemies, I don't even know what the thing I'm fighting is supposed to be.

Goonsquad Officer
It's a really good game and a huge improvement over the older versions. Still way too easy to trivialize it though, even without trying.

About the only thing I don't like is that most of the time the 2D pixel sprites look ok against the 3D backgrounds but every once in a while it looks really bad. Especially some of the enemies, I don't even know what the thing I'm fighting is supposed to be.
ahh. i bet it was like when i played modded up FF8. made the background HD. a lot of models HD, but in some scenes squall would walk close to the camera and look like regurgitated jinga blocks.

Vorph

ahh. i bet it was like when i played modded up FF8. made the background HD. a lot of models HD, but in some scenes squall would walk close to the camera and look like regurgitated jinga blocks.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people lump it in with Square's HD-2D games (Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy) but it's quite different from that; better in some ways, worse in others.

spronk

FPS noob
Finally got around to finishing Sea of Stars. Overall enjoyed it but the first quarter of the game felt like a tutorial and really dragged imo.

10/10 visuals/music
7/10 story/pacing

Definitely interested to see what they pump out next.

yeah i finished a few weeks ago as well and really enjoyed it, the story isn't amazing but its positive and fun and has good pacing as far as build up goes. I eventually turned on some of the combat relics to make it easier (like healing up to full after every fight, fuck cooking and resting after every fight lol) but i was never bored in the game.

I only have one trophy left, have to kill 10 bosses with the 85% hp reduction relic so I'm doing NG+ with that on (on bosses) and its not as fun second time but its a good game to play when you can't sleep at night. just kinda zone out and run through.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Yeah the game is really good, I'm playing it now since SO2 was one of my fav JRPGs years ago. I still have my brady guide for it, and the original playstation CD game.

Enjoying it a lot, even with some of the sprite issues.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
LOL just beat Star Ocean 2-R and saw this lovely thing after beating it.

1699767929251.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
It's so good. The QoL stuff is fantastic. You can break the game as much or as little as you like. It feels like the entire game is in the fun end game crafting/exploring/gearing mode even from the very beginning if you break it in increments to get just a little overpowered at a time. The graphics really hit a nice balance of looking nice while still being old school feeling. The VA is a bit hit or miss though.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought Sea of Stars a few days ago and am enjoying it so far. Game also has a few tongue in cheek moments.

Captain Klee'Shea makes some comment about every town having a slightly more talented blacksmith. And in the last town theyre still living in a wooden shack even though they sell daggers for 20000 gold.

Then you get to their ship and it's some logs with a sail made of clothes ...

Having fun so far!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's so good. The QoL stuff is fantastic. You can break the game as much or as little as you like. It feels like the entire game is in the fun end game crafting/exploring/gearing mode even from the very beginning if you break it in increments to get just a little overpowered at a time. The graphics really hit a nice balance of looking nice while still being old school feeling. The VA is a bit hit or miss though.

The VA seems fine to me BUT a lot of it sounds like it was recorded in different studios, with different reverb and background echo. It's kind of jarring in that respect, but the actual VA seemed pretty good.

I love breaking the game. Rolling with the blood armor with HP drain on weapon is lols.

pwe

The last JRPG I played was Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. I didn't finish it, maybe it was too childish'ish, I dunno. But absolutely loved the gfx. I remember reaching a part with way too much required non-combat stuff. I did have a lot of fun in the beginning, though. Any recommendations for games with similar combat etc? I'd prefer cool gfx but less might do.

Before that I think it was Ni No Kuni 1. Didn't complete that one either, but still remember it as fun.

And the South Park games! Fkn amazing.

Edit: Full controller support is a requirement. Just checked out STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R but only partial listed :(

Options:
Valkyria Chronicles 4
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

Last edited:

Vorph

Edit: Full controller support is a requirement. Just checked out STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R but only partial listed
I own it on Switch not PC, but seeing as it's a console game first and foremost it's probably just that it uses the keyboard for name inputs on PC. There's no actual reason to type anything there anyway, since even if you do change the name the game will ignore it and use the default almost everywhere.

• 1Like

pwe

I own it on Switch not PC, but seeing as it's a console game first and foremost it's probably just that it uses the keyboard for name inputs on PC. There's no actual reason to type anything there anyway, since even if you do change the name the game will ignore it and use the default almost everywhere.
I will check if it's only that.

Siliconemelons

Random sad JRPG confession, I remember getting the ps2 star ocean like full hype mode

I am retarded I literally could not get the combat , I barely muddled through the first do instructional fight and totally just could not do the first two fights… game collected dust sadly and I never even attempted another star ocean

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Persona 5 tactica out now (on gamepass, downloading now)

Got excited until I saw the fucking art style...

Random sad JRPG confession, I remember getting the ps2 star ocean like full hype mode

I am retarded I literally could not get the combat , I barely muddled through the first do instructional fight and totally just could not do the first two fights… game collected dust sadly and I never even attempted another star ocean

That basically happened to me with Xenoblade 2. I don't even know if the combat was complicated or not, I just didn't really "get it" and wasn't interested in learning. Also spent like an hour wandering around the open map trying to get to a map marker that was behind a mountain and seemed to be unreachable until I found the very specific path to it by climbing this one particular tree branch way off the beaten path.

I think I did get pretty far into the game though, maybe 20%? Considering I didn't know WTF I was doing. This was during a timeframe where I really wasn't into JRPGs anymore and I was just kind of forcing myself to play it because I love Xenogears (and even Saga) so much. Xenoblade 2 does have pretty incredible music at least.

• 1Pathetic