JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fell Seal is a recent one that has good gameplay that’s similar to FFT. The recent Tactics Ogre remake is excellent as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fell Seal is a recent one that has good gameplay that’s similar to FFT. The recent Tactics Ogre remake is excellent as well.

Can vouch for both of those.

Also liked Diofield Chronicles and that one kinds goes under everyone's radar. It isn't a pure tactics game but it's similar enough.

Siliconemelons

Finished Sea of Stars….

ending kills me, because they have some great aspirations of a “MCU”

a solid 8-9/10 imo gets knocked to 6

• 1Worf

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Finished it but wasn't overly impressed regardless of the ending (I did both). Felt bland and made me want to turn on Chrono trigger instead for a much better game. If there's a sequel I won't play it. 5/10.

Siliconemelons

I did both endings yes, you have to do one to then work for the other.

Both the endings are equivalently the same… and each time our characters are good with it, like no problem. Also our main two peeps never react to being called gods or different names, just ehh all good. Also people are saying that the 4 masked bros become some demon god in their ninja side scroller game? But to me I thought they got merged into the world eater at the end, a section looked like them.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Like a Dragon - Infinite Wealth released today if any of you guys Enjoyed Like a Dragon it's more of the same.
Yup I got a backlog already just gonna wait for a sale this time or if it gets to Gamepass fast enough. The demo was fun and the combat is much improved.

spronk

FPS noob

hope it sells well, demos are out on consoles. No PC port afaik, money issues probably explains it although I think they would probably sell more nowadays on PC than consoles so its pretty odd they don't do it immediately. Did 13 sentinals ever get a PC port?

i really enjoyed 13S so would play this but ass deep in persona 3 reloaded, dragons dogma 2 and eiuyden chronicles comes out soon, playing FF7, just don't think i have the time to play. game looks really, really good though

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Gonna start this project. Finished the first and nearly completed sequel in the 2nd series, but never completed the first ones. It's a very good series, great story. So figured if I am going to start, I should start at the beginning.

Rip your life. Excellent game series though. Absolutely love it

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Tactics Ogre remake is really good if you want story and game mechanics with more depth. If you want simpler tactics style RPG combat, the Mercenaries Wings and Fire Emblem games are out there. Tactics Ogre, for my money in all of its versions, is the gold standard for tactics games and on my top ten all time list.

On the topic of Unicorn Overlord, if you were at all a fan of the OG Ogre Battle game, this is the game for you. I have been playing the hell out of it since it dropped and its got the best aspects of both Ogre Battle and Soul Nomad rolled into it. Simple on the surface, but lots of depth to the strategy and army building. Nice tight gameplay loop. The only weak point to it so far is that Honor (the main army building resource) is a slog to farm. And this is a matter of preference, but I hate RTS elements in a game like this (Soul Nomad is superior here), because really all it does is make you click pause constantly. If you are all a fan of this type of game (build unit set AI and let units fight it out), this is probably the pinnacle of that genre. Very good game that avoids most of the eye rolling anime tropes that JRPs can fall into.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Tactics Ogre remake is really good if you want story and game mechanics with more depth. If you want simpler tactics style RPG combat, the Mercenaries Wings and Fire Emblem games are out there. Tactics Ogre, for my money in all of its versions, is the gold standard for tactics games and on my top ten all time list.

On the topic of Unicorn Overlord, if you were at all a fan of the OG Ogre Battle game, this is the game for you. I have been playing the hell out of it since it dropped and its got the best aspects of both Ogre Battle and Soul Nomad rolled into it. Simple on the surface, but lots of depth to the strategy and army building. Nice tight gameplay loop. The only weak point to it so far is that Honor (the main army building resource) is a slog to farm. And this is a matter of preference, but I hate RTS elements in a game like this (Soul Nomad is superior here), because really all it does is make you click pause constantly. If you are all a fan of this type of game (build unit set AI and let units fight it out), this is probably the pinnacle of that genre. Very good game that avoids most of the eye rolling anime tropes that JRPs can fall into.

In Ogre Battle I would consolidate all of my strongest unit leader characters into one unit and then just steamroll everything with that one unit. Had an overflow/backup unit with a few more strong characters consolidated, and I'd leave that one guarding the base in case anyone slipped by. Pretty much destroyed the entire game without issue, but it also tanked my reputation meter and I got a bad ending.

Is that a viable strategy in UO? The consolidating and running with a "Hero unit" strategy, I mean.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is a lot of rock paper scissors matchup elements in it, with specific units being strong against certain enemies but weak against others. Also there is a stamina mechanic to curtail using just one unit to fight except under very specific scenarios. There does not seem to be a faction system, per se, at least as far as I am into the game. Group design is pretty huge because while you can make more all arounder groups, they will struggle against certain specialized groups in the game. That and bonuses are tied to how much of the map you control when you win, so having a lot of groups is helpful. The maps all have timers as well, so you can't just dick around with one group.

That having been said, my main character is grouped with my strongest heroes to act as both my late game hammer unit and as an emergency guard unit to protect my base. That group is very generalized but powerful enough to at least hold off if not outright beat most things. As I said, there is a lot of depth in what you need to do. Balancing that and trying out different group setups is a lot of fun, however.

bolok

Trakanon Raider

I spent some time with the demo, ended up getting sucked into it entirely for a few hours. Definitely seems great. Reminds me a bit of dragon force back on the Saturn weirdly enough. Semi similar to 13th sentinel, but much less visual novel type gameplay. Pseudo rts elements to moving your dudes around, but building the groups and the assists and rock paper scissors interplay between units is pretty damn addictive.

Siliconemelons

Did not know- but there has been yet another port of Lunar The Silver Star Story this time for mobile - got good reviews but at the same time slams new lyrics for songs ? Like why? Lunar is kinda a guilty pleasure of mine and I will play this version just to see the differences as I love analyzing the slight changes and what they mean and expand to the story