JRPGs

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last JRPG I played was Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. I didn't finish it, maybe it was too childish'ish, I dunno. But absolutely loved the gfx. I remember reaching a part with way too much required non-combat stuff. I did have a lot of fun in the beginning, though. Any recommendations for games with similar combat etc? I'd prefer cool gfx but less might do.

Before that I think it was Ni No Kuni 1. Didn't complete that one either, but still remember it as fun.

And the South Park games! Fkn amazing.

Edit: Full controller support is a requirement. Just checked out STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R but only partial listed :(

Options:
Valkyria Chronicles 4
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

Valkyria is pretty solid, not heard of the other.

Scarlet Nexus free on PSN now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The last JRPG I played was Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. I didn't finish it, maybe it was too childish'ish, I dunno. But absolutely loved the gfx. I remember reaching a part with way too much required non-combat stuff. I did have a lot of fun in the beginning, though. Any recommendations for games with similar combat etc? I'd prefer cool gfx but less might do.

Before that I think it was Ni No Kuni 1. Didn't complete that one either, but still remember it as fun.

Edit: Full controller support is a requirement. Just checked out STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R but only partial listed :(

Options:
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Chained Echoes is a recent good one. Some goofy character designs but solid gameplay mechanics.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

Options:
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Yakuza: Like A Dragon

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Started sea of stars yesterday, I am liking it more than the demo

visuals and music are just super tip top, plot seems fun enough to get me going. Characters remind me of Lunar very much

• 2Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Gonna start this project. Finished the first and nearly completed sequel in the 2nd series, but never completed the first ones. It's a very good series, great story. So figured if I am going to start, I should start at the beginning.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Gonna start this project. Finished the first and nearly completed sequel in the 2nd series, but never completed the first ones. It's a very good series, great story. So figured if I am going to start, I should start at the beginning.

I'd like to get into this series, but I have so much stuff I want to get to already. I still have to finish the Xenoblades and Dragon Quests, and I never even got to the Bravely Defaults or SMTs. And this thing has like ten games. Well, in some other lifetime where I didn't fall so far behind on the genre, maybe.

Siliconemelons

Got to the demo location in sea of stars, hope I like the dungeon more than I did when I played it on the demo lol.

The Lunar feel is growing more than the chrono trigger feel, other than how combat plays.

… I think a Lunas SSS:C replay is due after this… so for me in like a year

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Got to the demo location in sea of stars, hope I like the dungeon more than I did when I played it on the demo lol.

The Lunar feel is growing more than the chrono trigger feel, other than how combat plays.

Just picked it up. Those ant bruisers were terrible. Kept summoning and I had a whole screen before I knew it. Having enough mp to cast something twice would have been nice since I missed the moonerang combo on the first shot.

This is after the game tells you that you don't have to time things and it's just an added bonus. Not in that situation. You don't break the ants lock and it's a world of pain real quick.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Just picked it up. Those ant bruisers were terrible. Kept summoning and I had a whole screen before I knew it. Having enough mp to cast something twice would have been nice since I missed the moonerang combo on the first shot.

This is after the game tells you that you don't have to time things and it's just an added bonus. Not in that situation. You don't break the ants lock and it's a world of pain real quick.
Yea those dude suck with their summon

I have gotten better with timing somewhat, still not the best at it. Right now resisting turning on the ez mode relic

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

dumb thing here is the additional adds don't give additional experience. I purposely let them spawn more thinking it'd be an easy boost to kick off the game.

Friend of mine recommended it as similar to CT, it's okay but nowhere close (which is sad given the 20+ year difference). Guessing halfway through the fleshmancer's castle and still care very little about the characters and the weird about of deus ex machina that takes place (alchemist).

• 1Truth!

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
dumb thing here is the additional adds don't give additional experience. I purposely let them spawn more thinking it'd be an easy boost to kick off the game.

Friend of mine recommended it as similar to CT, it's okay but nowhere close (which is sad given the 20+ year difference). Guessing halfway through the fleshmancer's castle and still care very little about the characters and the weird about of deus ex machina that takes place (alchemist).
Yeah, forgot about that as well. Checked on steam forums and it was just a bunch of trolls saying they're easy and you should have known it's just a skills issue but then also said it's more experience. Had to go back and check. Nope, nothing extra. What a crock.

It seems like every new RPG that wants to be "retro" has to have a bunch of crap that just holds it back from being good to great. Right now I'm leaning at a 5-6 rating at about 7 hours in. Was expecting more given the fanfare online.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, forgot about that as well. Checked on steam forums and it was just a bunch of trolls saying they're easy and you should have known it's just a skills issue but then also said it's more experience. Had to go back and check. Nope, nothing extra. What a crock.

It seems like every new RPG that wants to be "retro" has to have a bunch of crap that just holds it back from being good to great. Right now I'm leaning at a 5-6 rating at about 7 hours in. Was expecting more given the fanfare online.

yeah I always get frustrated with that… let’s make a retro classic rpg! And add in random “new” or “innovative” junk in the systems or maps or whatever rather than keeping the battle system classic and telling and impressive story and characters you fall in love with.

I don’t mean you have to have a ff1 battle system, but the classic games were mostly loved for their story etc

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Definitely a chrono trigger vibe in combat.

I get a distinct lufia 2 feel from some of the puzzles.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Definitely a chrono trigger vibe in combat.

I get a distinct lufia 2 feel from some of the puzzles.
CT didn't tell you which 1 of 2 skills enemies used, and you definitely had more than 2 skills for the majority of the game (3rd/ult being 2nd half of game at least). Only CT thing about this game that I feel is similar is the screen movement with your followers behind you.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

FC>SC>3rd :)

Good luck. The story is outstanding, and the game is amazing.

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been trying to get through the series for years now, but now that the first three major arcs are complete I'm finally going to do it. Trying to do it almost entirely on portable devices too:

Trails in the Sky FC/SC/3rd EVO - Vita

If I had a Steam Deck or something similar I'd probably go with the PC version (+mods) but I don't. Plus I like an excuse to use my Vita, which I still like using a lot more than any other portable.

Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure - Switch

Have physical copies of these. Don't think I'd recommend this route to anyone else though. The carts are ungodly expensive now, and while you can go digital instead there are performance issues on the Switch.

Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 - PS5

I actually own the Vita Lionheart edition of these, but the PC/PS4 releases are just too big an improvement over the PS3/Vita originals that I double dipped on PS4. PC version is the best though, since XSeed hired Durante to do the ports. Sadly, the Switch ports of these two will never make it over here in English and even if you have a hacked Switch and use the fan translation it's still inferior to the PS4/PC versions.

Trails of Cold Steel 3 & 4, Trails into Reverie, Trails through Daybreak - Switch

Have physical copies of all of these (Daybreak is out next July). They all have performance issues though, but at the rate I'm going maybe the Switch 2 will be out and have BC that fixes games that really struggle to run now.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I've played through all the Trails games outside of Reverie at this point(trying to finish up a replay of CS4 first) and it's been a great ride. Some ups and downs with the story and some pacing issues with the later Cold Steel games but outside of that it's been enjoyable. Now that I have a steam deck I kinda wish I had the Crossbell/Erebonia games on PC as I do think portable is the way to go for this series. Maybe do a replay of the series down the road if I can get them all on Steam for cheap.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I've been playing this gacha game called Brown Dust 2 and it has turned out to be pretty fun, as I've not played a grid-based/turn-based game like it before, plus it has some visuals:
1698227965457825.png

A Review that has some gameplay to give an idea of how it is.

Now though, I'm looking for a non-gacha game that has a similar playstyle (no need for lewdness). Some people have mentioned FF Tactics, but that seems super old? Or maybe Octopath Traveler?

• 1Pathetic