King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The sets were pretty excellent in this. London was great. I bet a lot of money went to those. There was also a lot of CGI with the sword.
havent seen the movie yet, but one thing that should NEVER be said in England is that the sets were expensive for a film that takes place in medieval Britain. they filmed the low budget TV show Merlin there using an actual medieval castle and it looked incredible. they just filmed in the castle and it looked real because its a fucking medieval castle.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
havent seen the movie yet, but one thing that should NEVER be said in England is that the sets were expensive for a film that takes place in medieval Britain. they filmed the low budget TV show Merlin there using an actual medieval castle and it looked incredible. they just filmed in the castle and it looked real because its a fucking medieval castle.

This might be a surprise to someone that has not seen the movie but the entire film doesn't take place in a single castle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This might be a surprise to someone that has not seen the movie but the entire film doesn't take place in a single castle.
i think they have more than one castle in England, they might even have already made sets from the medeival timeline they could re-use. but i guess when you get handed a $175m budget, you can do whatever. hey if jack & Jill can cost 80 million to make, then there is gold in them thar hills.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
holy fuck how did this movie cost $175m to make, did they invent a time machine and send Jax back to bro walk with King Arthur
Box-Office Bomb: 'King Arthur' Limps Toward $14M Debut Behind 'Snatched'

also whats hilarious is that originally they planned to make... SIX... yes, SIX... more king arthur movies. Somehow I think that plan has been scrapped now.

Get out of here!

You mean to tell me the movie about King Arthur, set in Olde England, that has war elephants in the trailer, flopped at the box office?!

/sarcasm

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
holy fuck how did this movie cost $175m to make, did they invent a time machine and send Jax back to bro walk with King Arthur
Box-Office Bomb: 'King Arthur' Limps Toward $14M Debut Behind 'Snatched'

also whats hilarious is that originally they planned to make... SIX... yes, SIX... more king arthur movies. Somehow I think that plan has been scrapped now.

This is an example of a project that was in development hell for years and managed to make it out. A version of this thing was originally supposed to come in 2013 with Kit Harrington as Arthur but WB put it out to pasture for a while when the cost projections went up well over $100 million. After bouncing around between different versions they got hooked on this idea of setting up an Arthurian cinematic franchise. With that as the goal it became easier to convince themselves to go big because there was a would-be franchise hanging on it. Then when the early edits weren't testing well, they just went bigger.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, it's hard to imagine a King Arthur movie that had less to do with Arthurian legend than this one, but if you're looking for a fun stupid fantasy-action movie, this one's worth the ticket price. That final battle was stylish as fuck.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I had no desire to watch this movie, having seen the dumb-as-shit trailer, however Guy Ritchie came off as a thoughtful, purposeful, individual on Rogan's podcast. So I will pay the admission despite that this will likely be a bad movie.

Vinen

God is dead
Heard a guy from Rotten Tomatoes rip this movie apart. Will wait to watch it on a trans-Atlantic flight or something.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This is an example of a project that was in development hell for years and managed to make it out. A version of this thing was originally supposed to come in 2013 with Kit Harrington as Arthur but WB put it out to pasture for a while when the cost projections went up well over $100 million. After bouncing around between different versions they got hooked on this idea of setting up an Arthurian cinematic franchise. With that as the goal it became easier to convince themselves to go big because there was a would-be franchise hanging on it. Then when the early edits weren't testing well, they just went bigger.

This is hilarious because no one even cares that much about Arthurian legend and I doubt there's a movie's worth of material, let alone 7. Shit, this isn't Harry Potter

Good job, @Screamfeeder

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
This is hilarious because no one even cares that much about Arthurian legend and I doubt there's a movie's worth of material, let alone 7.

That's why they went with a modernized spin like Ritchie's. They thought that would draw in the 18-24 crowd. They were originally going to try to do an Excalibur remake but the talks to acquire the rights to it fell through and this was Plan B.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
This wasn't nearly as bad as reviews are saying. If you like Guy Ritchie you'll enjoy the movie. It's heavy on Snatch style dialogue/cuts mixed with a Knight's Tale+big dumb CGI action. 6.5/10 and I liked it enough to hope for a sequel...seems pretty unlikely though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sorry I studied castles from 16-18 so I have major autism for them. Yes I do want an historically accurate setting for King Arthur, with the magic stuff on top. I want to suspend disbelief and think that maybe, just maybe, it actually happened that way. It's like if Jon Snow ploughed a Motorbike into the White Walkers in Game of Thrones, it doesn't belong.

I'm sorry to break this to you but we have shit for castles, most of them got blown up with cannons in the English Civil War or rebuilt into something else. You'll be lucky to see a raised mound of dirt at the location of a castle, otherwise bar a few exceptions it's ruins. We do still have ye olde cathedral towns with epic cathedrals and ye olde universities though.

Even fucking Hogwarts, the pinnacle of British movie castles was mostly cathedrals and university buildings. Pyke and Winterfell in Game of Thrones are CGI'ed Northern Ireland ruins. The Merlin castle was in France!

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sorry I studied castles from 16-18 so I have major autism for them. Yes I do want an historically accurate setting for King Arthur, with the magic stuff on top. I want to suspend disbelief and think that maybe, just maybe, it actually happened that way. It's like if Jon Snow ploughed a Motorbike into the White Walkers in Game of Thrones, it doesn't belong.

I'm sorry to break this to you but we have shit for castles, most of them got blown up with cannons in the English Civil War or rebuilt into something else. You'll be lucky to see a raised mound of dirt at the location of a castle, otherwise bar a few exceptions it's ruins. We do still have ye olde cathedral towns with epic cathedrals and ye olde universities though.

Even fucking Hogwarts, the pinnacle of British movie castles was mostly cathedrals and university buildings. Pyke and Winterfell in Game of Thrones are CGI'ed Northern Ireland ruins. The Merlin castle was in France!
fuck me, thats terrible to hear. another reason not to visit the UK.

Chris

Potato del Grande
France and Germany have loads of fake disney castles. Including the one in Merlin that Napoleon built in the 1800s. You can go to those.

Maybe I'm selling us short, we do have a few good ones. North West where I live was a shithole until the industrial revolution and has very little in the way of ancient stuff.

I suggest Edinburgh in August for a good time.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is the King Arthur fascination a British thing? I assure you, the rest of us don't give a shit.

In a day and age where we've had the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Game of Thrones epic, trying to get people interested in a King Arthur movie is going to be dead on arrival.

• 1Like