Laptop Computers

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
It's the tits. The real tits. Buy it. But you must put a ssd in. Friends don't let friends buy new computers with the best (by far) performance improvement missing.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Did you replace both hds? The ssd is too small and the hdd seems to be pretty slow at 5400. I may just replace the ssd and just externally use the hdd I have in my desktop right now.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My model didn't have the dual GPUs so I put in a ssd in then pulled out the burner and put the 1tb there.

Edit the ssd isn't really an ssd, the drive has a 24 GB ssd it uses as a cache to speed it up. Basically one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B99JUBQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1395928828&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
A coworker/friend of mine wants a laptop, so I immediately came to this thread. I tried to convince her to buy that awesome Lenovo on sale above, but the 6.5 lbs is more than she wants to carry around. I looked up the shitty Macbook Air with 13.3" screen she was comparing to, and that is about 3 lbs. I'm really struggling with keeping the weight low because I would never buy a laptop with such a tiny screen, but hopefully you guys can help.

I'm looking for a non-Apple, touchscreen, Windows 8, around $1000-$1500 max, best value...but as light as possible. Help me Rerolled!

Thanks in advance.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Here's an option:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...-series/t440s/

Select the fourth option (far right).
1) Upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro 64
2) Upgrade battery to ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear

Here's what you get:

Lenovo ThinkPad T440s- $1,354
Intel Core i5-4200U Processor 2.60 GHz
Windows 8.1 Pro
14" FHD Touch anti-glare (1920 x 1080)
4GB DDR3 RAM
180 GB SSD
Weight: 3.6 lbs

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Here's an option:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...-series/t440s/

Select the fourth option (far right).
1) Upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro 64
2) Upgrade battery to ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear

Here's what you get:

Lenovo ThinkPad T440s- $1,354
Intel Core i5-4200U Processor 2.60 GHz
Windows 8.1 Pro
14" FHD Touch anti-glare (1920 x 1080)
4GB DDR3 RAM
180 GB SSD
Weight: 3.6 lbs
That actually looks pretty awesome, exactly like what I'm trying to find, thank you. Is it possible to get that through Amazon or Newegg at all though? Estimated ship date of 4/21 isn't going to cut it I don't think.

I'll search myself, but about to go to a lunch meeting so in case you already knew where it could be found I figured I'd ask. If not I'll look when I get a chance. Thanks.

EDIT: Looking through the selections on Amazon and Newegg now. Not quite as nice as buying it customized direct from Lenovo, but I'm thinking like I would, not like a chick that doesn't give a fuck about every little detail, so I'm sure I can find one close in that price range. Thanks again!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
That actually looks pretty awesome, exactly like what I'm trying to find, thank you. Is it possible to get that through Amazon or Newegg at all though? Estimated ship date of 4/21 isn't going to cut it I don't think.

I'll search myself, but about to go to a lunch meeting so in case you already knew where it could be found I figured I'd ask. If not I'll look when I get a chance. Thanks.

EDIT: Looking through the selections on Amazon and Newegg now. Not quite as nice as buying it customized direct from Lenovo, but I'm thinking like I would, not like a chick that doesn't give a fuck about every little detail, so I'm sure I can find one close in that price range. Thanks again!
Their estimated delivery is very conservative.

I ordered my girlfriends Z410 through their website on Dec. 23rd. It said it would be in second week of January. It showed up on Dec 27th.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
I've decided I'm going to start programming (JavaScript and php for now). My current laptop is an Asus 15.6in with a busted trackpad.

What I need:

Light
Portable
Good bat. life
Capable of the basics (streaming, YouTube, movies)

What I don't need:

Gaming...

It will be my main work laptop. I'll build a desktop later. I looked on slick deals, but 15in seems too big to carry everywhere. Maybe I'm mistaken. Budget, I see no need to spend more than 750$. 500 $ even seems excessive. I'd like this laptop to last long enough into my career.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We picked up the HP 14" Chromebook today, what a solid little laptop. Gift for my mother in law (bought a chromebook for my mom a couple weeks ago, a c720).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really like my c720. I use that shit as pretty much my primary computer now (on it now actually). The only thing I use my old desktops for is running VMs and doing test shit and running my plex server.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How does that popular lenovo model do heat wise with all that power?

Also, 6.5 lbs is heavy? Bro, do you even lift?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The video card fan(s) blow the heat out the left side with one card or both sides while you're using SLI. Keyboard always stays comfortable. My one complaint is that the video card fan on the left side blows in the exact direction of my favorite spot to set a cold beverage. That can be worked around, of course, but the more you know...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Acer Aspire E1-510-2602 15.6" Laptop Computer - Clarinet Black NX.MGRAA.009 - Micro Center

quad core celeron?

i have ipads/win 8 tablets/computers and other laptops at home. wife primarily uses the HTPC and a dell 8 tablet, i was looking for a decent laptop w/o a dvd drive(to save on weight, i guess these are called ultrabooks)

and this thing is a win8 quadcore celeron? it's either this or i get a surface pro (cuz it has the cool detachable keyboard)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So still eyeing the Lenovo Y510p... it's been out for a while now, how likely is it a successor will appear soon? And how big is the different between the SLI model vs. the single card + bluray? I'm assuming the SLI helps make it so good for gaming but I have limited SLI experience.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So still eyeing the Lenovo Y510p... it's been out for a while now, how likely is it a successor will appear soon? And how big is the different between the SLI model vs. the single card + bluray? I'm assuming the SLI helps make it so good for gaming but I have limited SLI experience.
Y40/50 coming out in may.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Ah great, glad I asked. I'd rather pay a little more and get an extra year or two out of it :p
From the tiny bit that i glanced over on notebookreview forums, the y40/50 is not much of an upgrade. I think it might make good sense to wait until those new models are out and and then purchase the current models. Or pay a bit more and get a Sager.