Lasik Eye Surgery

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ho yeah, a guy from the internet told me.
It was a big deal. I remember reading the obituary and they had been taking up donations for him for a long time, he was a big time contributor and writer in this particular hobby. I knew him from the forum but he also wrote for a couple of the mags that followed the hobby as well. Probably wouldn't have been as bad had his hobby that he wrote about required very good vision. He wrote for firearms magazines and did firearm reviews etc...I read the articles about him deciding which guns to sell off each month to fund his travel to new doctors.

Before that I assumed the worst the could happen is you just don't get good vision out of it but he some affects that bothered his vision besides not just seeing well, but I'm not exactly sure what it was.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Wait, you mean, people would just go on the internet, and fake an illness for donations?
Possibly, but it was well covered in a well respected publication and they had a multi page write up when he offed himself about what happened and how his problems with his vision drove him over the edge.

But whatever.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Necroing this because why the fuck not. Getting LASIK next month. $3800 for both eyes if you pay cash. I've worn contacts for 15 years and almost any amount of money is worth ending that shit.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Necroing this because why the fuck not. Getting LASIK next month. $3800 for both eyes if you pay cash. I've worn contacts for 15 years and almost any amount of money is worth ending that shit.
My gf got this done earlier in the year. Without glasses/contacts she was considered legally blind. Came out with close to 20/20 vision.

In a bit of a horror story, one of my friends got it done 3-4 years ago. He claims the surgeon somehow fucked up his tear ducts so his eyes were super dry. He's since had that fixed, but it lead to him accidentally confusing flea medication(for his cat) for eye drops. Suffice it to say, he's wearing glasses again. So long money.

I got it done at the beginning of 2014 (prk) and it was amazing. Occasional dryness, but thats it. My vision is somewhere between 20/20 and 20/15 now.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I would never get lasik. I know 5 people who have had it and 4 of them have had complications after a few years. The first year or two everything was great. One almost completely lost their vision and has to wear borderline cokebottle glasses and its still getting worse. My uncle who got it ended up having to use eye drops the rest of his life. The people like Pyratec that have had it for 10+ years with zero complications are rare, I think.

Seriously, if you want to get lasik, do your research and get real unbiased, true, hard facts and talk to people who got itat least 3-4 years ago. I am legally blind (20/2400) and I would never get lasik. Just understand the risks, and understand that unlike pills and such the risks on lasik are higher (American Journal of Ophthalmology estimates that up to 5.7% of lasik surgeries have some kind of complication).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
1 in 20 is pretty good odds. At 20/2000 I'm sure there's no way they could correct me anywhere near 20/20 but I'd gladly be satisfied just taking a big chunk out of the strength of my prescription.

Also, legally blind means your vision is 20/200 or worse even with correction.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Seriously, if you want to get lasik, do your research and get real unbiased, true, hard facts and talk to people who got itat least 3-4 years ago.
7 years ago my wife and I went in for Lasik. My cornea was too thin for the amount of correction I needed (~20/400). Instead, I got an Implanted Contact Lens in both eyes which got me to 20/30 and 20/40, respectively. Then Lasik got me to 20/20. My wife just got Lasik. Neither of us have had any complications in 7 years.

My mother-in-law had cataracts, so 4 years ago she had a procedure similar to mine except that the implanted lens replaces your natural lens instead of just sitting in front of it. She now has near-perfect vision, including for reading, despite being 70 years old. No complications.

My sister had Lasik around 6 years ago. Despite having worse vision than mine, the doctor went full Lasik. She did develop ectasia from it.

Whatever. If I had to make the same decision today knowing all of that, I would still do it. The misery of napping or sleeping in contacts, traveling with solution and an extra pair, waking up in the night and just seeing blurs until you can find your glasses... fuck all of that.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I would never get lasik. I know 5 people who have had it and 4 of them have had complications after a few years. The first year or two everything was great. One almost completely lost their vision and has to wear borderline cokebottle glasses and its still getting worse. My uncle who got it ended up having to use eye drops the rest of his life. The people like Pyratec that have had it for 10+ years with zero complications are rare, I think.

Seriously, if you want to get lasik, do your research and get real unbiased, true, hard facts and talk to people who got itat least 3-4 years ago. I am legally blind (20/2400) and I would never get lasik. Just understand the risks, and understand that unlike pills and such the risks on lasik are higher (American Journal of Ophthalmology estimates that up to 5.7% of lasik surgeries have some kind of complication).
You're just flat out wrong man. If it was as risky as you seem to think, it wouldn't be getting done on tens of thousands of people. That study you cite probably considers moderate dryness and/or night halos as "complications", as well, which are incredibly minor issues to deal with. As I've said previous in this thread, my dad got that shit done 20+ years ago when it really was fairly experimental and they only did a single eye at a time, and his vision is still very good at 65. I'm around 4 years since mine, and everything's awesome for me as well.

Did all the people you know go to the same clinic or something? Maybe there's a really shitty doctor where you are, or something. I know a couple dozen people who've had it done, and not a single one regrets it. In fact, everyone I know including myself rave about how great it's been.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
LASIK Risks and LASIK Complications - AllAboutVision.com

Millions of Americans have had LASIK eye surgery to correct their vision since it was introduced in the United States more than 20 years ago, and experienced LASIK surgeons report that serious complication rates can be held below 1 percent.
Millions of surgeries have been completed. If serious complications were truly wide spread, we'd have heard about it by now, and there'd be class action lawsuits flying around.

Complications generally were more common in the early years of LASIK, when studies in the late 1990s indicated that up to 5 percent of people undergoing laser vision correction experienced some type of problem. These days, this number is under 1 percent for serious complications.

A worldwide review of LASIK published in 2009 showed that more than 95 percent of people who had LASIK surgery between 1995 and 2003 were satisfied with their outcome.

Public confidence in LASIK has grown in recent years due to the solid success rate of LASIK surgery outcomes. The U.S. military also has adopted widespread use of laser eye surgery to decrease reliance of troops on corrective eyewear. As of 2008, more than 224,000 military personnel had undergone laser vision correction. Since the procedure first was introduced in the military in 2000, researchers have conducted more than 45 studies regarding safety and effectiveness of LASIK and other procedures.

LASIK outcomes have been overwhelmingly positive. Most military patients see 20/20 or better after the procedure without corrective eyewear, and the rate of complications has been very low. According to one study, only one in 112,500 patients required medical disability retirement due to complications from laser vision correction during this eight-year period.

In another study, 100 percent of pilots and other aircraft personnel from the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps who underwent custom (wavefront-guided) LASIK attained 20/20 uncorrected visual acuity within two weeks after surgery.

When questioned about their satisfaction one month after surgery, 95 percent of these patients said the procedure was helpful to their effectiveness, and 100 percent said they would recommend it to other aviators. Study results were presented at the 2008 ASCRS annual meeting.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got this done about 4 years ago. Worth every single penny and then some. Wore glasses for like 15 years before that and I cannot even imagine going back. Whole procedure was painless and took a few minutes per eye. Just had to wear special glasses to bed and shower to protect your eyes for a couple of a week or two (can't remember).

I had 20/400 (or something) and ended up with better than 20/20 when done.

The ONLY freaky part was when the cut the flap of your cornea away, things get very blurry for a short time before they put it back. The place I went to offered valium to calm your nerves if you needed it.

Get it, don't even think about it if you have the $$$. Even if you don't take out a loan.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
My wife had it done back in the day when they used scalpels, not lasers (we're old). I didn't want her to do it. It was too new but she went ahead and it was miraculous. Her eyesight has deteriorated over the years and she now uses glasses, especially for reading but we have no regrets about it.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I got lasik done many years ago. It's the best $3000 I've ever spent in my entire life (it seems prices haven't gone down). I still have awesome eyesight.

This may have no basis in fact, but I believe my result was so awesome was because I made a conscious effort to look at the red light and not move my eyes at all. The less your eyes move, the fewer corrections the laser needs to make. My then-girlfriend had hers done after she saw my amazing result. She said they kept telling her to stop moving her eyes. Less than two years later she was wearing glasses again to read.

The one thing about the surgery I didn't expect: smelling my eyeball burning while the laser was cutting.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
I work for an ophthalmologist with 30+ years of experience, and he pretty much exclusively does PRK. In fact, we try to steer most of our laser surgery patients towards PRK as opposed to LASIK with a corneal flap. Up front, it tends to hurt a little bit more and have slightly longer recovery times, but the complication rate is way lower because it's incision free.

I have pretty heavy astigmatism in one eye, and I'm happy with glasses, but if I ever got laser surgery I'd go the PRK route, for sure. I've also heard that people who need repeat laser vision correction later in life have better chances with PRK because less cornea is taken off, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I paid a fair bit less for mine at one of the big national chains (lasik plus vision center), (3200 cash counting prescriptions without insurance)

This was a while ago, still 100% recommend the procedure, or at the very minimum go for a consultation, the dr told me I had thick corneas and could likely get retreated 2-3 more times no problem, if I absolutely needed to, as I got older. He also said that thick corneas tend to not develop some kind of other disease from a buildup of pressure, or something, but yea, it was a while ago and I don't remember exactly.

I came out in between 20/15 and 20/20 which is the same I could be corrected to with glasses, and I already had minor night halos/star bursts, but they did not get any worse, which I had been concerned about, but he assured me that custom lasik prevents problems like that because it takes into account the irregularities in the back of the eye already.

Going from 20/90 to 20/15 is absolutely amazing, and it doesn't matter how good you look in glasses, you'll be more attractive without them.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My vision is horrid, my contacts are a -8.75 in each eye, which I guess converts out to roughly 20/900 vision.

About 5-6 years ago, most local LASIK places were advertising rates starting at about $1500 per eye. Well, I needed so much correction I was going to be $4500 per eye so I chose not to do it.

Has anyone here priced out LASIK 5ish years ago as opposed to now? I'm sure it's come down in price a bit, but I'm just curious as to how much. $9000 was not worth it to me at the time to stop wearing contacts, but if prices are roughly half(or less) now compared to 5-6 years ago, I might think about it.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
As I was mentioned further up on the page, thought I would give a further update. I had the procedure done in 1997 and my vision is still good to great, no need for correction at all. I have also experienced no complications, from major ones like health issues to even minor ones like haloing of lights at night. Would recommend.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The ONLY freaky part was when the cut the flap of your cornea away, things get very blurry for a short time before they put it back. The place I went to offered valium to calm your nerves if you needed it.
Thats the old school method. Newer methods don't require that.