League Of Legends

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
As a whole I would agree with you. More teams plus a losers bracket means for more and most likely better games. The loser bracket finals and the grand finals themselves were pretty lacklustre though. It just seemed good because a western team ended up winning the whole thing.
I guess the format doesn't help yeah, that and the whole making the tournament last so many weeks because they only play a few games every weekend, kinda kills the excitement I think. Those semis were boring as hell though,
neither of the western team looked like they could win the series after the first 20minutes of the first game.
. And tbh, the finals looks like it'll be boring as hell too. Quarters had some good games though.

That said after watching a bunch of lol, there's been a lot of improvements in terms of champion viability and stuff but god are a lot of the game no action farmfests for 25-30mins. Once the fighting starts it gets good but the laning in lol is like really bad, lasts too long and there's only like 1kill attempt every 3-4minutes at most when the jungler is rotating. Riot should probably look into tweaking kill/turret gold versus just farming creeps to emphasize agression a bit more during early game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Huni and Reignover played terrible the entire series. And that can't happen when you stick Rekkles on support style carries.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Why didn't they swap out of that Riven Hec matchup ? I don't get all the nuances of super competitive play, but don't teams usually send bot top if it's a huge mismatch ?

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
This went exactly as I was afraid it would. Western teams are failing at adapting to or adopting the early aggression playstyle that the asians always use, and I can't understand why. Some of the US teams most successful games were when they went with the early tristana push bot then rotate to mid strat to drop towers immediately. They shat on teams with it. But when it was banned away or taken they had no other plan for early pressure and it showed. And they lost. At that level of league you can't lose the early game. Who cares if you have a great mid or lategame team if you got dumpstered in the first 15 minutes? This passive play crap needs to go. Waiting for an opponent at least as skilled as you are to make a mistake is a terrible gameplan.

Speaking of gameplan, is it just me, or has the coaching and draft phase of the western teams been dogshit compared to the asian divisions?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think the majority (if not all) of the NA teams have shitty coaching and shitty infrastructure. It comes down to having children running the business (like Regi).

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Turtle still able to make the roster. Will be interesting to see if they can find a replacement. I still think Turtle is one of the best NA ADCs. KEITHMCBRIEF wasn't good enough. Would be sweet if they can find the NA equivalent of Niels.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Turtle is terrible at positioning. All he does is come in and clean up and KS after his team has already won a fight. He hasn't carried a game in forever.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think the biggest problem is the coaching staff got in his head too much. Turtle was an animal when he didn't give any fucks, sure, he would jump in/flash in some instances where he shouldn't, but now he's playing way too pussy. If you watch his SoloQ games he's still a beast. Niels carried OG because he was playing super aggressive and was even on the frontlines leading the charge. His team comp was built to allow him to do it, but Turtle could do the same exact thing if they take off his leash and give him some support.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how long it will take the NA teams to figure that out. EU did, they were the original passive/defensive teams that just waited until late game critical mass to do fucking anything. Getting shit on by highly aggressive Asian teams who are not afraid to take risks then just have your cock in a vice the whole game must have gotten old.

I honestly wonder what they're thinking sometimes. It isn't like this shit is unexpected at this point. Korean/China brings these same strats every single year. But they all have a much larger champion pool to work with usually as well. I really want to see an NA team win the LCS some year. Just not sure what it will take for that to happen.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I installed this yesterday, played the tutorials then saw a WoW looking tree that seemed to effect my in-game character and I'm not sure if I'm about that. So now I'd have to learn a roster of 100, skill and item builds for my selected few and also how to talent them? I think I may be years late to the party for this game it feels a tad overwhelming.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
you can hot change all the talents between matches for free. there are tons of sites that will help point out optimal talent builds as well. Runes will give you a tiny advantage and aren't really useful until Tier 3 so most people skip those and conserve the points.

i suggest lolpro.com or lolking.com

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I installed this yesterday, played the tutorials then saw a WoW looking tree that seemed to effect my in-game character and I'm not sure if I'm about that. So now I'd have to learn a roster of 100, skill and item builds for my selected few and also how to talent them? I think I may be years late to the party for this game it feels a tad overwhelming.
You have a mastery pages, these are pretty simple. There is usually one for offense and defense and utility. Each has two flavors of whether or not your character is AD or AP based. You can get away with have like 5 or 6 mastery pages and call it a day. There are not infinite combinations people use and the differences of a point here or there are incredibly negligible for almost every level of play.

You don't have to learn a roster of 100 champs; especially as you level up. The recommended item build is good enough to mess around with as you play bots and learn the game. If you find a champ you really like playing, go read up on some guides and get an idea. If you actually like the game, it's worth the effort. There is a learning curve.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
They're both fun, and they both have shithole communities. DotA is a little slower and more complex, League is simpler and more mechanically fast (I wouldn't say more intensive, per se, but it's a faster game).

Edit: if you're coming from HoTS then League will feel more similar mechanically, in terms of movement and attack animations. DotA feels much different to me.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
It should also be noted, DotA shits all over League in terms of the client. I prefer League's gameplay, but the front end and client are an embarrassment compared to what DotA offers.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Question is tho, invest time learning this or dota... trying to figure that one out.
From my extremely quick tutorial thing for LoL some big differences I saw:

You can TP to base for free in League (not sure if there is an item you can buy to TP to a tower)
Since you use skills more often in League you can get last hits easier via AOE skills and just skills in general
-Also no deny
Jungling is a bit more interactive in League since the NPC can give buffs instead of just XP/Gold
Overall the game felt faster and more twitch and reaction based compared to DOTA
DOTA has a much, much better monetization model than League

That was my impression from my exactly one tutorial me + bots game

Some things I was trying to figure out via the shop is if League is as dependent upon clicky items (eg; Blink Dagger, Orchid, Eul's, Force) as DOTA. It felt like there were fewer active abilities but I couldn't really grasp if the fewer actives were extremely necessary or not.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
There are a decent amount of activated items but most characters buy between 0 and 2.. more than 2 would be extreme cases or for fun... supports have the most options in this space and could end up with 4 actives if they wanted