League Of Legends

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can see nerves in a lot of Korean players' "before bad stuff happens", but oddly enough it's a lot harder for western folk to read nerves in Koreans' bodies and vice-versa. There's a few reasons Koreans dominate but lack of nerves isn't exactly true. There's also cultural differences that build up over a lifetime about how to handle stress/anxiety/etc. that affect the outward appearance and have no impact on actual emotions internally (aside from making them worse sometimes but that's a person to person basis)

So what I'm saying is, Koreans > NA overall skill-wise but saying that Koreans are emotionally > whomever is a false statement.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Idk, i rarely see crazy high kill count games in lck when the stakes are high. Especially from skt, but they are playing so far beyond anyone else right now its kind of sad.
They are finally playing around peanut as a carry in some comps, took them all split to work up to it, which gives them so much flexibility in their strats.
Literally, everyone other then wolf can hard carry a game on that team. Wolf prolly could too if he wasnt support, not a knock on his skill.
But, they can all play to support the others as well now, though its still peanut's weaker role. One game, faker gets a great matchup and wrecks, then the next peanut is on a carry and faker plays lulu/ori as backup. I see even less holes in their game now then previous years, and its depressing as someone who is tired of them winning worlds.
TSM might be at a level where they can beat some of the other korean teams, but i dont see anyone in the world beating skt in a bo3 or bo5 the way they are right now.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Game 1 - TSM is looking on point! Playoff Sven is fucking great
Game 2 - Is C9 seriously inting here? WTF is going on?
Game 3 - How the fuck did Hauntzer think that dive was a good idea?
Game 4 - Leave Bjergsen alone! He's already dead. Stop it... (I have only rewatched game 5, but I need to watch this again to see what the top and bot were doing while the 3-4 people were camping mid)
Game 5 - I am not sure what C9 is doing this game, but I think TSM just lost. Nevermind.

While I was watching it, I kept wondering wtf C9 was doing by not 1-3-1'ing TSM to the ground. But, rewatching the game, I realized Sven did a great job punishing Ray in the sidelane, and C9 couldn't even really 4-1 without fearing the Camille dive when Hauntzer grouped.

Hauntzer winning that Final MVP had to be a consolation prize for the regular season.

From a logistics standpoint, I didn't want TSM to win that final. But a win is a win.
This MSI fucking lasts forever. It ends May 21st and the regular season starts around two weeks later. And TSM still needs to re-add DoubleLift to the team.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was really hoping for C9 to pull through, especially after those first couple of games. The casters mentioned this a couple times but basically all 5 games you had trades/advantages going over to one side or the other based on the smallest measure, sometimes a couple seconds of CD, less than 200 hp trades, single missed or mistimed skill, things like that. The first games looked (and kinda were) super rough for C9 but TSM got those advantages started on small margins and were able to just keep edging them out. Games 3 and 4 weren't that different but C9 was able to scrape together those advantages instead.

It's really crazy looking at those early games and seeing how different things could go, multiple times, from almost nothing.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Having to reverse sweep a wildcard region to even get into MSI is surely a good sign for this upcoming tournament for TSM.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was rooting for GAM too. Even though I'm NA, I'm glad to see TSM faltering. Nuts to them :p

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
If the Marines had a toplane that had played more than a month of competitive they win that series handily.

And I'm still trying to figure out why you would ever sub in wildturtle over doublelift on this supposed 6 man roster in the spring.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
If the Marines had a toplane that had played more than a month of competitive they win that series handily.

And I'm still trying to figure out why you would ever sub in wildturtle over doublelift on this supposed 6 man roster in the spring.

Why would you ever sub someone over Faker?

Because you can expand the champ pool for that position. Problem is, I think Turtle and Dlift specialize in most of the same type of champs, very aggressive get-in-your-face champs.

I could see 1 of them having more focus on the more poke/support ADCs: Ziggs/Jhin/Kog'Maw/Ashe/Caitlyn/etc and the other being the more assassin/mobile ADC like Vayne(haha)/Lucian/Tristana/Ezreal/Twitch/Xayah

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
The consensus seems to be that Easyhoon played control mages better than Faker, or at he least played a different enough style to supposedly warrant a change of pace.
I've always assumed SKT was worried Faker was going to leave for more money, and they wanted to have one of the best midlaners in the world already on the team as his replacement.

Neither of those theories in anyway compare to WT and DL. If they're really worried about DL leaving at the end of the split again, they should ease in an actual replacement instead of wasting scrim time with a stopgap.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The consensus seems to be that Easyhoon played control mages better than Faker, or at he least played a different enough style to supposedly warrant a change of pace.
I've always assumed SKT was worried Faker was going to leave for more money, and they wanted to have one of the best midlaners in the world already on the team as his replacement.

Neither of those theories in anyway compare to WT and DL. If they're really worried about DL leaving at the end of the split again, they should ease in an actual replacement instead of wasting scrim time with a stopgap.

I mean.. my post was telling you what they plan to do already, you just making shit up at this point?

Team SoloMid | Official TSM Site

They will be expected to focus on different playstyles and will be fielded according to the strategy the team plans to use.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Making shit up? Pretty much 99% of this thread is making shit up. So, you got me!

I've ignored the different playstyles and champs PR comment, because their PR comments are much like this thread - 99% making shit up. Or do you think we should instead wait for the tryout that was announced at the beginning of spring?
It is pants on head retarded for the adc role and the two players in question. One player plays Caityln while the other plays Lucian? I guess this means you did you not watch the match against Giga? Even more so to limit champ select and telegraph picks/pans.
If it is Wildturtle plays the off meta crazy shit to try and cheese out a victory? Sure, go ahead. The closest thing to offmeta has been Vel'Koz against Jensen. It is something TSM has never done since I've watched them, but I'd welcome the change.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've ignored the different playstyles and champs PR comment, because their PR comments are much like this thread - 99% making shit up.

Why would you ignore the only thing that makes sense, eh, whatever.

Personally I hope turtle never gets used, but when I heard they were going 6 man I was hoping they'd say this was the reason. But like I said originally, Dlift and Turtle typically have the same style, so it probably won't work.

There is a ton of strategy with ban/picks though and really pros can only stay sharp on a few champs at a time, so if this allows them to expand their pool just a few that could work out favorable for them.

I certainly give their reasoning a lot more credit than some made-up stuff like "they are afraid Dlift will leave and need to keep his replacement on staff".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Things are a little different with ADC versus top/mid/jungle though. Many of the champs fit a very similar role into a team comp, and there's less of them that are relevant (or 'meta') at any given time.

Sure, Turtle could learn a champ like, lets say Jhin or ziggs, that plays differently, but if Jhin isn't in a good spot for the meta it doesn't really matter. It's arguably more important that the support have synergy with the player, and the team being on the same page as the ADC and support, then it is which specific champ they are playing (within reason, i.e. not playing a F tier champ like teemo or something).

SKT has been one of the few teams I've ever seen pull off multiple subs and it not really effect how the team plays together, and to pull off different strats based on that. But, they have never done it with ADC/Support and I think that's very telling. That lane is all about synergy with your teammates and being on the same page, moreso then a potential cheese strat. Even when someone does something different, like the Ziggs split push strat, it requires the rest of the team to execute it. Whereas a sub mid laner could have a pocket pick that dominates his lane and then just hard carries early on.

I mean, imagine if TSM had a Top sub this split and had been rotating them in/out for random games. Would hauntzer be at the same level he is right now? I doubt it. He'd still be good, sure, but not 'potential mvp' like he was.

I think Turtle is mostly there to light a fire under Dlift's ass to make sure he doesn't get complacent again. Whether Turtle ends up being ok with that or not, we will see. If so, and he doesn't mind playing 10-15% of the games, he'll stay. If not, he'll get traded to someone else.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Xmithie and/or Huhi will be gone by next split, I'm guessing.
Good call!

I'm not sure if Xmithie means a 6man roster on IMT or if Dardoch is now a free agent.

If IMT is Flame, Xmithie, Pobelter, Cody, Olleh... that looks like shit. So, hopefully they are smart enough to use the Xmithie as a mentor/quasi coach/sub.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I went on leaguepedia to see what moves have happened, kakao left MSF and maxlore replaced.. that seems like a horrible change for the team, but we'll see I guess.
I didn't see the Xmithie news, but they are always a little slow. I'm guessing I'll find it on twitter or something if I look.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I really wish NA could get their shit together.

Fire Parth ffs.

That shit was embarassing.
(FW vs SKT is a better match anyway tbh)

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
What? In the group stage they went .500 vs. non-koreans. That was a goddamn miracle.

But yes, move Parth from coaching - not sure wtf was going on with their P/B throughout MSI.
Credit to Turtle; he was rarely the worst player. It was usually Sven, until Biofrost decided he wanted that mantle in the last game. (Which was sad, because in the tourney Bio seemed to be playing better than normal.)

And I have figured out a reason for a 6man roster with ADC. It gives some time for Doublelift to re-acclimate with the team. After that phase? Yeah, I still have got nothing.

edit: And Dardoch going to CLG is hilarious.