Lord of the Rings Online

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
hrm I just started playing this game and I must be doing something wrong.

playing warden, just finished the little intro questline and was able to up the difficulty to 3. It takes me like 20 attacks to kill anything and i'm usually 1/4-1/2 health by the time anything dies. I mean i'm level 6 and i'm fighting lvl 6-8 things right outside the gates so i'm not sure wtf i'm doing wrong.

There's your problem. The one thing you don't do as a new player to LOTRO is play Warden.

Now that they got the pants nerfed off them there's not even a major advantage to a new play experience.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
hrm I just started playing this game and I must be doing something wrong.

playing warden, just finished the little intro questline and was able to up the difficulty to 3. It takes me like 20 attacks to kill anything and i'm usually 1/4-1/2 health by the time anything dies. I mean i'm level 6 and i'm fighting lvl 6-8 things right outside the gates so i'm not sure wtf i'm doing wrong.

I chose warden because the gambits looked interesting, different combos and shit, i'm doing gambits correctly but i'm still barely scraping by here.

I see that someone said wardens got nerfed or something, idk.

what free class is good to start with?
I still like warden for some reason. Now, I am in no form an expert on warden because I have only played for a few days, but I am not having too much difficulty with it past the tutorial.

At level 10 or so, I am able to grab 3 to 4 even con mobs and use the small AoE gambit once, ..I think they describe it as 3,2..and then I can 1,3 them down and still be OK as long as a wraith doesn't pop.

Those I can't kill yet. I did choose tailoring and jewelry and crafted the first set of that, so that may have helped a bunch.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
There's your problem. The one thing you don't do as a new player to LOTRO is play Warden.

Now that they got the pants nerfed off them there's not even a major advantage to a new play experience.
ok but do you realize how useless this feedback is to a new player? How was I supposed to know this? and what classes should a new player play?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Guardian gets recommended a lot as a good first class. It was mine way back in the day and I've leveled a couple others over the years.

There aren't any complex mechanics; basically just various reactive skills that trigger off blocks, parries, etc. It gives the flexibility of speccing tank for groups or higher level landscape content or speccing DPS for even/under level landscape content (though you'll never be a DPS in groups).

If you want ranged, hunters are powerful and really simple to play.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
ok but do you realize how useless this feedback is to a new player? How was I supposed to know this? and what classes should a new player play?
Good first classes to play:
  • Hunter (BLUE or RED) - doesn't get easier than pew pew pew arrows for the wing
  • Guardian (BLUE or RED) - pretty straight forward game play, and they look cool doing it
  • Champion (RED or YELLOW) - This is by far the most fun simple class to play in my opinion. Go Yellow spec for AoE damage, and you literally just round everything up and SHING SHING!

Bad first classes to play:
  • Warden - By far the most complex class in the game with heavy dependency on multi-level combos. Don't play this if you want to relax and enjoy the game lol

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
ok thanks. I had already said fuck it and went with Champion, but I went red not yellow. after starter quests i upped the world difficulty to 3 and i'm able to 3-4 hit most everything, fight multiple mobs and have no issues at all.

I do not understand how the warden is supposed to work, maybe it gets better at higher levels but at level 6 it is just super weak. 2 quick weak attacks, then a gambit, 2 quick weak attacks, then another gambit. etc etc Different gambits do different things like my HoT or DoT or whatever but basically it takes 3 attacks (2 builders, then gambit) to equal 1 standard attack of a champion, and champion also has much more powerful finishers.

So Champion is builder, builder, finisher = mob dead.

where as Warden is builder-builder-gambit, builder-builder-gambit, builder-builder-gambit, builder-builder-gambit, builder-builder-gambit, ok mob's dead, but i'm also almost dead because the mob has been alive hitting me for 5x as long, and if there was an add then don't bother i'm definitely dead.

i'm sure they get much more powerful gambits later on and it starts to even out or whatever but again at level 6 it is retardedly bad.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am new to the game myself and do not find warden difficult at all once I just started doing 2 gambits. You have one that is basically a cleave, and one that is a dot. I do the dot gambit, then the cleave gambit, then run to the next set of mobs. Out questing, I can round up 4-6 mobs at a time and take the whole group down with only 2-3 gambits.

Champion is bad azz as well.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I was enjoying the Warden, outside of it feeling weak on landscape +3.

Started a Brawler and I only played through the tutorial so far, but I think I'm going to like this class.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Are rune keepers or masters or whatever they're called any good nowadays? That was my highest level character I was about to enter Moria, but for whatever reason got caught up with work or something stop playing.

I'm just thinking about maybe rolling a new character on one of the new servers. Just the last class I remember playing and I really did enjoy it.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just hit 61. Moria was pretty cool but one thing I did not enjoy was all the back and forth between hubs. Way too fucking much of it. And not being able to use your mount in there sucks.

I think I still have another epic book to finish before I'm completely done in there but I'm ready for the next expansion. I was toying with trying to do some of the dungeons but at this point, I'm just gonna move on.

McCheese

I just hit 61. Moria was pretty cool but one thing I did not enjoy was all the back and forth between hubs. Way too fucking much of it. And not being able to use your mount in there sucks.

I think I still have another epic book to finish before I'm completely done in there but I'm ready for the next expansion. I was toying with trying to do some of the dungeons but at this point, I'm just gonna move on.
You can use goat mounts in Moria. It's worth it to invest in a good one that's the same speed as your horse.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

Even with a mount this has been my slow down. Im 53 or so, my highest character is 63 on the other side of the mines (From 2009)

Still worth it

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Inventory management in this game is an absolute shitshow.

Inventory slots and Carryalls on sale for 25% and 20%, respectively. Do these ever have bigger discounts? Trying to decide if I'm better off grabbing the Large Crafting Carryall (50 inventory slots) or about 25 inventory slots.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I don't track sales, but I don't recall any major sales on that front post-Umbar.

I will say that even a small Task item bag can free up a ton of room as well, as it will hold 2000 units each of 10 distinct task items.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Are rune keepers or masters or whatever they're called any good nowadays? That was my highest level character I was about to enter Moria, but for whatever reason got caught up with work or something stop playing.

I'm just thinking about maybe rolling a new character on one of the new servers. Just the last class I remember playing and I really did enjoy it.
Rune Keepers are still very good. Great DPS and top healing. I would say though that if you liked the Rune Keeper, you might want to try the *new* Red spec of Lore Master that just came out in update 41. All pets are basically just spells on the Red spec, but the thing that makes red Lore Master so much fun is they upped the damage quite a bit and you electrocute the fuck out of everything. PEW PEW PEW

Moria is still one of my favorite expansions of all time. The place is absolutely massive and just looks beautiful in places.

Boar and Goat mounts can be used inside Moria. Well worth getting one.

The dungeons are pretty damn cool in Moria to be honest. I would at least check them out even if you go back and do them solo at a higher level.

Inventory management in this game is an absolute shitshow.

Inventory slots and Carryalls on sale for 25% and 20%, respectively. Do these ever have bigger discounts? Trying to decide if I'm better off grabbing the Large Crafting Carryall (50 inventory slots) or about 25 inventory slots.
Inventory management is one of the ways they make their money in this *free to play* game. They inundate you with shit in your bags, and you get overwhelmed SUPER fast.

Large Crafting Carry-all, Large Task Item Carry-all, and Large Essence Carry-all are your friends. That sale is probably the best you're going to get for a while. I literally have like 12 or so carry-alls that I pass between my characters on the Gladden server. Eight (or is it 10.. can't remember) of those are Large Crafting Carry-alls. If you're a pack rat like me, expect to spend money on Lotro.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

McCheese

On the topic of inventory management, most of you might know this but I only just realized it recently after years of playing. Combine all your shitty little bags into a single big bag. Click the tiny gear icon (next to the lock/unlock one) in your main bag. Then you can drag all your inventory slots into a single bag. It makes things a lot less cumbersome. I can't believe I went so long without realizing you could do that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Rune Keepers are still very good. Great DPS and top healing. I would say though that if you liked the Rune Keeper, you might want to try the *new* Red spec of Lore Master that just came out in update 41. All pets are basically just spells on the Red spec, but the thing that makes red Lore Master so much fun is they upped the damage quite a bit and you electrocute the fuck out of everything. PEW PEW PEW

Moria is still one of my favorite expansions of all time. The place is absolutely massive and just looks beautiful in places.

Boar and Goat mounts can be used inside Moria. Well worth getting one.

The dungeons are pretty damn cool in Moria to be honest. I would at least check them out even if you go back and do them solo at a higher level.

Inventory management is one of the ways they make their money in this *free to play* game. They inundate you with shit in your bags, and you get overwhelmed SUPER fast.

Large Crafting Carry-all, Large Task Item Carry-all, and Large Essence Carry-all are your friends. That sale is probably the best you're going to get for a while. I literally have like 12 or so carry-alls that I pass between my characters on the Gladden server. Eight (or is it 10.. can't remember) of those are Large Crafting Carry-alls. If you're a pack rat like me, expect to spend money on Lotro.
If I were to choose one: Large Crafting or Large Junk carryall?

On the topic of inventory management, most of you might know this but I only just realized it recently after years of playing. Combine all your shitty little bags into a single big bag. Click the tiny gear icon (next to the lock/unlock one) in your main bag. Then you can drag all your inventory slots into a single bag. It makes things a lot less cumbersome. I can't believe I went so long without realizing you could do that.
Yeah, this is nice. Much better than the alternative.

• 1Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finished out Myrkwood even though I was a tad overleveled for it by the end at 68. The skirmishes toward the end of the epic series quest chain was pretty cool though.

Decided to head to east Rohan and The Great River after that. Not bad and I liked that it was more open than previous zones. I just finished that area up yesterday and moved into The Wold just as I hit 74. I'll have to go back to GR for some dailies though as Riders of Stangard has some nice items and upgrades at kindred. I'm about 6K away though so might take a few days to finish that out.

It seems crafted gear has suddenly become a bit more complex to make but also, worth the effort too. Unfortunately, it seems I need a good bit of Marks to buy some of the rarer crafting mats and it just so happened that I blew a ton of mine to finally upgrade my skirmish dude right before starting GR. Figures.

Also, I see war horses in the town of Harwick as well as a riding instructor. Is this where I buy one? They didn't vendor up for me though so not sure if I need faction, levels, etc before I can talk to them.