LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
1490702158833.png

(I'm kidding!!!)

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
what do you do for work that you've got a 21hr work week?

It was a 13.5 hour work week. That was reduced to 12 recently at the same rate of pay. 18x40 minute classes per week. I only work Mon-Fri and I get 15 minutes break per day.

I teach English.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Did my second interview for this hospital today. I feel like it went well.

Got an email from them an hour later asking for my list of references and they scheduled a 15 minute call for Friday. Don't know too many places that would ask for references if they're not moving you to the next level :p

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Did my second interview for this hospital today. I feel like it went well.

Got an email from them an hour later asking for my list of references and they scheduled a 15 minute call for Friday. Don't know too many places that would ask for references if they're not moving you to the next level :p

You're awesome, man! That's good news. Here's hoping they like what your references have to say and they have a juicy job package for you Friday afternoon.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Yes, references request is usually next level. Got to pass a full assortment of checks before my hire is confirmed.

Need to pass a background check
Employment/references verification check
10 panel drug test

Real glad I didn't eat the edibles I have saved in my freezer last week!

:eek:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jobs blooming in the spring! You guys got this shit!

• 1Solidarity

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
How do you guys get started doing shit you like? I'm from rural Indiana and ended up driving tanker trucks (food grade oil) out of a local terminal to the midwest region primarily. Was alright, money is definitely better than about anything else I could do but it's just soul numbing never getting to go home for more than a few hours recently. I've seen a few daycab jobs that are paying pretty well if they aren't full of shit, considered it. I guess what I'm asking is how do you find what you want to do in life? I've hated about every job I've ever had except taking care of the mentally retarded / developmentally disabled. The money's just not there for that and the upper corporate type jobs are just paper pushing. I've thought some type of IT work could be interesting but I have next to no qualifications for that.

I'm listless and just trying to find something new. The money's runnin' out.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How do you guys get started doing shit you like? I'm from rural Indiana and ended up driving tanker trucks (food grade oil) out of a local terminal to the midwest region primarily. Was alright, money is definitely better than about anything else I could do but it's just soul numbing never getting to go home for more than a few hours recently. I've seen a few daycab jobs that are paying pretty well if they aren't full of shit, considered it. I guess what I'm asking is how do you find what you want to do in life? I've hated about every job I've ever had except taking care of the mentally retarded / developmentally disabled. The money's just not there for that and the upper corporate type jobs are just paper pushing. I've thought some type of IT work could be interesting but I have next to no qualifications for that.

I had to try several things before I found what I wanted to do. I was in a band, i was a chef, I was a professor, and then I landed, mostly by accident, in the music industry. There is no way I could have plotted my course, too many random things had to line up. Keep yourself open to possibilities, and pursue them when they come up. Not much else you can do, really.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

I was in the Navy, did some comms stuff and then some IT stuff, then got out and did some more IT stuff. But it was not all that great. It wasn't until I was like 30 and discovered information security that it clicked. IT is cool because even experience in other sub-fields helps when you find a discipline that you really enjoy, but it is frustrating that it does feel like wasted time.

If IT is something that interests you, you can usually get an entry level job with minimal to no qualifications just by showing you have an interest in IT and can talk to people. Getting a helpdesk job doesn't typically pay much, but it is an incredible learning expereience and one of those jobs that if you apply yourself you can really go far with. Almost every technical person I know of in information security either started their career with "well I was a hacker from age 5 when my dad/brother/aliens taught me C" or "well I worked helpdesk for a while then got into hacking."

Just don't listen to Mist.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had to try several things before I found what I wanted to do. I was in a band, i was a chef, I was a professor, and then I landed, mostly by accident, in the music industry. There is no way I could have plotted my course, too many random things had to line up. Keep yourself open to possibilities, and pursue them when they come up. Not much else you can do, really.

I guess that works if you get out and do things. I'm kind of a home body though and each day kinda passes like the next. If I'm not careful it seems like entire weeks can fly by with nothing to differentiate the days. There's a job fair for a terrible factory in a nearby town I'm considering. It's right next to where I'm getting my taxes done so I figure it cannot hurt to look. Beat's sitting around here.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I went into computer engineering because I thought I'd be designing computers - no joke.

I'm lucky in the fact that I actually enjoyed coding a lot, a lot of dudes that go into the program ended up hating coding. Computer engineers are a mix between computer science and electrical engineers (jack of all trades), so I wound up doing firmware and shit. Ended up loving it.

Basically my life is a complete accident.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I went into computer engineering because I thought I'd be designing computers - no joke.

I'm lucky in the fact that I actually enjoyed coding a lot, a lot of dudes that go into the program ended up hating coding. Computer engineers are a mix between computer science and electrical engineers (jack of all trades), so I wound up doing firmware and shit. Ended up loving it.

Don't listen to your parents; You were a surprise, not an accident!

Actual advice: There's always the office space line of "If you had millions and never had to earn another dime, what would you spend your day doing?"

• 1Like

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't listen to your parents; You were a surprise, not an accident!

Actual advice: There's always the office space line of "If you had millions and never had to earn another dime, what would you spend your day doing?"

I'm not in nearly good enough shape / well endowed to make my living from two chicks at the same time. If I had a lot of money I'd probably just be a recluse and eat a little better.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fucking models on a mountain of cocaine isn't really a viable career path. But infosec is pretty cool.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Grats to all the people who got jobs and best of luck Adebisi, sounds like you got this locked down.

Chysamere Chysamere that's cool, I always thought that would be a pretty cool gig. And yeah Im good at what I do, but you can be good at what you do but hate the shit out of it. Seems like you know what I mean.

On top of the school thing, I've been highly debating starting up a business. Been looking into leases for a few months now and I think I'm fairly close to a deal on what was my primary choice. Once I get it signed I'll write more about it. I don't want to jinx anything before the ink is on the dotted line.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

I went into electrical engineering because I didn't know that was different than computer science. It turned out that what I really liked was the engineering (aka designing and building shit), so I think it was a happy accident. On the other hand, what little coding I have done I really enjoyed for the same reason I like designing stuff, creative problem solving, so if I had gone computer science it probably would have been fine.

Back in the 90's computers/internet was so new and mysterious that we thought it was all the same shit.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its all chutes and ladders. Really.

As far as figuring out what you want to do, its a tough question. I dont even really particularly like to run boilers, Im an artist, and hope to work in that field one day, so I think most people struggle with where they are at professionally.

• 2Like

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its all chutes and ladders. Really.

As far as figuring out what you want to do, its a tough question. I dont even really particularly like to run boilers, Im an artist, and hope to work in that field one day, so I think most people struggle with where they are at professionally.

I reckon anywhere that treats you decent and provides a livable wage is worth working at. I don't have any of these dreams other people seem to have career wise. It's a blessing in disguise most days. I guess outside of a new job my biggest goals would be to lose some weight and get back in shape. Everything hinges on that.