Lost Ark Online

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Throne & Liberty (Project TL, NCSofts new MMO) will be their take on Black Desert Online, not Lost Ark. Not sure if their isometric game is still in dev.

I've followed Project TL for years and I maintain special access for NCSoft titles so while you are correct, my post is still accurate. They ultimately morphed their game by virtue of the fact that it was an inferior isometric game to Lost Ark and are planning to release an MMO this year due to the perceived revenue stream that LA highlighted (this is a seriously simplified version but I'll take the discussion on this to the appropriate thread).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah playing more just isnt something that will grant you instant access to get past 1370. It seems a bit like luck of the draw. I can go 10 fails in a row or i can get a couple dings within minutes. The mats used are just not always around when you need them and it seems like advancements mainly happen right after server reset and your cooldowns to purchase more mats are available. I'm not complaining about the game im just stating how it is, and its why i log in get my fails in and my daily things and if i dont have anything thats going to advance my main avail i log off. Sure i could go around trying to 100% all of the main zones or collect mokoko's but f that for now lol.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Not really sure you should be partaking in the discussion over the T3 wall when you aren't even in T3 yet, especially by trying to tell folks to 'play more'. Everything that you linked looks like my achievements 3.5 weeks ago. I'm part of the have crowd and it's pretty easy to read Booze's post and see that it's a legitimate concern from someone who is putting in a fuckton of time in the game (dude has 50 islands done and his roster level is ahead of mine). Most of his concerns stem directly from the fact that he started playing late and as a result, he isn't able to advance his character at the rate that I can (which is 100% a legitimate concern).

Signed: someone with almost double your playtime.

View attachment 404240
/shrug

I'm having fun. Sounds like poop-socking problems to me.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
TL looks cool, but will it just be another BDO? Or will it have real dungeons to crawl and a loot system that doesnt make you feel like you got erect then someone started to slam your dick in a door.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Looking at the honing mat calculator for each tier and figuring out what I could earn each day dictated my expectations for how this game would go and was the best decision to never FOMO or swipe.

Going to have 3rd char in T3 within a week or so (if I don't keep selling these juicy mats - 1kish for great honor leaps $$) and probably another two weeks or so of life shard collecting on the other 3 alts for them to join me. Alt #7 won't get there for at least 1.5 months if I even bother.

Then it's daily wizard chores until I figure out a char I want to main and actually take all the way.

I should have most of the shit I'm willing to do for horizontal progression done as well all in less time than I usually invest into a good season of POE.

Pretty solid for the $65 on a pack and some RC for char slot tickets.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah playing more just isnt something that will grant you instant access to get past 1370. It seems a bit like luck of the draw. I can go 10 fails in a row or i can get a couple dings within minutes. The mats used are just not always around when you need them and it seems like advancements mainly happen right after server reset and your cooldowns to purchase more mats are available. I'm not complaining about the game im just stating how it is, and its why i log in get my fails in and my daily things and if i dont have anything thats going to advance my main avail i log off. Sure i could go around trying to 100% all of the main zones or collect mokoko's but f that for now lol.
"Play more" isn't a valid response to people in a game that literally gates the amount of materials you can earn in a day/weekly capacity.

That's exactly why you should run your dailies/weeklies, try your hones. If you succeed, fucking awesome, maybe it gets you to the next "unlock" of content(next chaos, next guardian, next abyssal, etc.). If not, you gain another few % chance the next time. Log the fuck off, go mow the lawn, have a couple cold ones with the boys, and fucking chill until tomorrow.

But no, a bunch of Veruca Salts want their golden goose NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
"Play more" isn't a valid response to people in a game that literally gates the amount of materials you can earn in a day/weekly capacity.

That's exactly why you should run your dailies/weeklies, try your hones. If you succeed, fucking awesome, maybe it gets you to the next "unlock" of content(next chaos, next guardian, next abyssal, etc.). If not, you gain another few % chance the next time. Log the fuck off, go mow the lawn, have a couple cold ones with the boys, and fucking chill until tomorrow.

But no, a bunch of Veruca Salts want their golden goose NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Man imagine the audacity of people wanting to play with their guildmates in an MMO... how fucking entitled. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE
Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF
Judge Judy Reaction GIF
The Office Reaction GIF

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
This continues to be the most retarded take ever.

The game is averaging over 500k concurrent users 1.5 months after release. Both LA and New World launched on the Steam platform, which allows tracking and even provides charts for people who are not number savvy. At this stage, NW saw dips of about 85k concurrent users on at the same time and was draining population. LA is holding steady above 500k for the past week and is not seeing that infamous 'trash tier' dip that NW saw 3 weeks after it came out. Need more easy data to tell how the game is doing? Lost Ark is presently the #2 viewed MMORPG on Twitch at 95k viewers. #3 has 2.7k viewers. The only reason it is not #1 is because WoW is presently doing the race to World First, which even LA players like me are watching. New World recently launched a content update and has 1.1k total viewers, for reference.

MMORPG's, in general, always see a decline after a month. The success of an MMO is in it's general lasting power (e.g. how many users can you get to continue through the low points) and how many people return for the large content updates / expansions and spend money. FFXIV does this rather well, in that people come back for the expansion story and maybe a tier of raiding and unsub. Lost Ark is perfectly ok with you not logging in for a month or two, provided you return to try the new classes / raids when they release every few months and spend some shop cash to unlock a new slot for the aforementioned class and maybe buy an outfit. They're not looking to have you play 24/7 for the next six years -- the whales can do this for them just fine.

Here's an easy counter take to make those that hate the game really cry: Lost Ark is presently the most successful MMORPG to launch in the last decade based upon the numbers of players still playing after a month. Let that sink in. They are making stupid levels of profit; as a result, if you hate the way the game is monetized, you should be speaking out. Wonder why a game like for-all-intents-purposes-Lineage just announced? Not a coincidence.

Once more for the cheap seats: you are allowed to despise LA and think it's a shit tier game. That's a subjective opinion and one where I agree on certain points (fuck releasing Argos in the manner that they did, they're retarded for the class release cadence, and most importantly, someone needs to be shot for the 1340 --) 1370 wall not being factored in and still launching with the content / honing rate that we had). When you start comparing this to the shit tier game that had no one playing after two weeks though, you're living in a separate reality.
What does any of this have to do with the population halving after one month?

also you need to learn to read charts apparently. I in fact looked at the charts prior to posting and they are almost identical, you ain’t selling me your bullshit. Just because they make “more money” via basically forced qol purchases, 50 bs launch packs that were nerfed, and various other shit they have come up with in the three years it’s been released does NOT in fact make it any better for the end user unless your a sperg.

Imagine living in a world where you don’t have to love a game because you actively play it nor hate a game because you don’t, but you can just see things for what they are 🙄

Edit: like I’ve said before I don’t even hate the game it just ended up being not for me. Don’t take so much offense to something being called a grind fest

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
TL looks cool, but will it just be another BDO? Or will it have real dungeons to crawl and a loot system that doesnt make you feel like you got erect then someone started to slam your dick in a door.
Well BDO isn't successful in Korea from what I've read/heard, like it surprisingly does ok in the west, but not so well in Korea, so I doubt it'd copy too much. On the flipside, Lost Ark does very well, so in terms of systems and such, I think it's more likely it's similar to Lost Ark than to BDO. It doesn't mean it'll be the same though, NCsoft can and will make shitty money baiting systems if they think they can get away with them but yeah nothing sure for now.

To be fair, BDO is an excellent game if you remove the few bad things. The combat is great and fun, the classes varied, the world is beautiful and has a shit ton of stuff to see, you have interesting side progression systems(well to an extent, but it takes life skills and sailing investment way further than just some side shit you do for 5mins like Lost Ark does for example). Personally, besides the loot system which is pretty fucking terrible and the various "must have" cash shop items, my biggest complaint is the open world pvp. I grew up playing UO and AC, but nowadays I really don't fucking want to pvp unless it's in an arena with equalized gear and that I can queue for when I want to actually fight other ppl. I especially don't want to fight in pvp when I have 0 chance to actually win because my opponent does 4times my damage and has 12times my health with a lot more self healing. And I guess yes they should have had more group content, they added dungeons recently but no idea how that went.

So copying some of the aspects would be bad, but others would be fine.

The main issues as always is even if the game is nice, the odds of it releasing in the west early are somewhat low, which makes the whole thing a bit pointless for most of us, especially since playing KR shit is horrible due to being tied to ID and all that stuff.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My biggest complaint is one which I actually don't think ever gets fixed. The best content in the game, bar none, is the abyss dungeons.

And they're gated to only he available once a week for maybe 30-60 minutes total. It's depressing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
What does any of this have to do with the population halving after one month?

also you need to learn to read charts apparently. I in fact looked at the charts prior to posting and they are almost identical, you ain’t selling me your bullshit. Just because they make “more money” via basically forced qol purchases, 50 bs launch packs that were nerfed, and various other shit they have come up with in the three years it’s been released does NOT in fact make it any better for the end user unless your a sperg.

Imagine living in a world where you don’t have to love a game because you actively play it nor hate a game because you don’t, but you can just see things for what they are 🙄

Edit: like I’ve said before I don’t even hate the game it just ended up being not for me. Don’t take so much offense to something being called a grind fest

You are retarded.

New World:

1647822394991.png

Lost Ark:

1647822422254.png

New World:

1647822539105.png

Lost Ark:

1647822564660.png

• 1Moron

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel like this game is more P2A(advance) over P2W because there is nothing to win - PVP is equalized

They're essentially the same thing - PVP oriented people look at P2W under the lens of "if I pay money, will I be able to defeat more players because I have an advantage?". PVE oriented people look at P2W under the lens of "If I pay money, will I get top tier gear easier and faster than people that don't pay money and do the content legitimately?"

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Man imagine the audacity of people wanting to play with their guildmates in an MMO... how fucking entitled. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE
Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF
Judge Judy Reaction GIF
The Office Reaction GIF
Who said fuck about entitled? People are just approaching this game in the entirely wrong way. It's like trying to make a fucking Paladin do DPS, when it's clearly a support class. Try all you want, but you're just going to end up disappointed.

Lost Ark isn't the MMO I think a lot of you are looking for and that's fine, don't play it. It's a glorified ARPG with some weekly MMO elements. Most of the shit you're doing in this game, outside of those weeklies, is all solo content - hence a glorified ARPG.

Or, just keep finger popping your asshole screeching about how this game isn't living up to your standards of what an MMO is "supposed to be".

On one hand this forum bitches ENDLESSLY about how "grind" oriented MMOs are, how you're an ADULT and don't have time to keep up with the zoomers anymore, damnit! Along comes an MMO that you can play casually as fuck and now those same people are bitching that it isn't hardcore ENOUGH and it sucks that you can't be a degenerate who griiiiiiinds all day..

There isn't a single fucking thing that FoH likes and I really wonder how most of you get through each day being so goddamned miserable.

• 1Worf

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Who said fuck about entitled? People are just approaching this game in the entirely wrong way. It's like trying to make a fucking Paladin do DPS, when it's clearly a support class. Try all you want, but you're just going to end up disappointed.

Lost Ark isn't the MMO I think a lot of you are looking for and that's fine, don't play it. It's a glorified ARPG with some weekly MMO elements. Most of the shit you're doing in this game, outside of those weeklies, is all solo content - hence a glorified ARPG.

Or, just keep finger popping your asshole screeching about how this game isn't living up to your standards of what an MMO is "supposed to be".

On one hand this forum bitches ENDLESSLY about how "grind" oriented MMOs are, how you're an ADULT and don't have time to keep up with the zoomers anymore, damnit! Along comes an MMO that you can play casually as fuck and now those same people are bitching that it isn't hardcore ENOUGH and it sucks that you can't be a degenerate who griiiiiiinds all day..

There isn't a single fucking thing that FoH likes and I really wonder how most of you get through each day being so goddamned miserable.

Lost Ark isn't the game you think it is, either. It's somewhere in the middle of the strawman that you're presenting as Booze's point of view and yours. As an example, you do understand that all upcoming content updates is geared at legion raids? While we've fundamentally gone back & forth in the negative in this thread, I do gather that you're a competent player and will likely enjoy this content. It is however quintessential MMO content: you are very much setting up pre-made groups that will meet multiple times a week to learn / progress at these encounters which will offer the best loot possible. Smilegate is very much on the record as saying that the metrics show players enjoy this the most and stick around the longest as a result. All of their future content updates have been towards these types of events (albeit toning down how 'hardcore' they are).

Here is an example of one of these raids:

You will not progress at these without a set group (typically a guild) meeting a few times to play together in voice chat. This is not an ARPG daily content but a full-fledged MMORPG raid encounter. The present content unfortunately leads your opinion to be the valid one in that, the game is presently a solo ARPG with MMO elements. This is frustrating and could have been avoided by a better release cadence (e.g. stopping at tier 2 and releasing Punika + North Vern together). This would have slowed the pace down considerably and provided players the ability to enjoy 8 man content and progress into more difficult raid content (thus favoring the MMO style raids that Booze is asking for). This was a failure by AGS/SG and has resulted in a 'wall' that should have been avoided. I'm 1400 and will continue to play and enjoy the game however to not acknowledge this is tilting in the same stupid direction that people comparing it to NW are.

There are more examples of this outside of Legion Raids, such as the 40v40 PVP content, the new GVG islands, and many more that SG is actively releasing which are geared at ensuring that it plays like an MMO where the people you play with matters rather than a solo ARPG experience where you occasionally group with people.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
can you not read or are you just a complete fucking retard? I literally just said the game halved the population one month after release. Which it did. you fucking dipshit

Again, you are retarded. Halving a population of a game means that half the population that used to log in no longer logs in. This is not a difficult concept to understand for most people. What you are looking at is "half the maximum concurrent amount of users are presently online compared to at the peak of the game", which is a vastly different statement. The charts I brought to your attention by virtue of your mental retardation were intended to make it visually appealing for your special needs to better understand how LA is doing compared to NW. Try to keep up.

• 1Moron

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lost Ark isn't the game you think it is, either. It's somewhere in the middle of the strawman that you're presenting as Booze's point of view and yours. As an example, you do understand that all upcoming content updates is geared at legion raids? While we've fundamentally gone back & forth in the negative in this thread, I do gather that you're a competent player and will likely enjoy this content. It is however quintessential MMO content: you are very much setting up pre-made groups that will meet multiple times a week to learn / progress at these encounters which will offer the best loot possible. Smilegate is very much on the record as saying that the metrics show players enjoy this the most and stick around the longest as a result. All of their future content updates have been towards these types of events (albeit toning down how 'hardcore' they are).

Here is an example of one of these raids:

You will not progress at these without a set group (typically a guild) meeting a few times to play together in voice chat. This is not an ARPG daily content but a full-fledged MMORPG raid encounter. The present content unfortunately leads your opinion to be the valid one in that, the game is presently a solo ARPG with MMO elements. This is frustrating and could have been avoided by a better release cadence (e.g. stopping at tier 2 and releasing Punika + North Vern together). This would have slowed the pace down considerably and provided players the ability to enjoy 8 man content and progress into more difficult raid content (thus favoring the MMO style raids that Booze is asking for). This was a failure by AGS/SG and has resulted in a 'wall' that should have been avoided. I'm 1400 and will continue to play and enjoy the game however to not acknowledge this is tilting in the same stupid direction that people comparing it to NW are.

There are more examples of this outside of Legion Raids, such as the 40v40 PVP content, the new GVG islands, and many more that SG is actively releasing which are geared at ensuring that it plays like an MMO where the people you play with matters rather than a solo ARPG experience where you occasionally group with people.

I'm really curious at how popular the Legion raids will be, especially Clown / Brelshaza, in my biased opinion, I think they'll flop hard. People will probably like Valtan, and maybe Boobie Demoness.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm really curious at how popular the Legion raids will be, especially Clown / Brelshaza, in my biased opinion, I think they'll flop hard. People will probably like Valtan, and maybe Boobie Demoness.

Valtan is going to be a massive hit. The remainder will still be enjoyed for the Rehearsals however cries of "this is too difficult" will be heard across the land in spades. The folks who are looking to have organized content with a guild/group will love it while casual Tommy will draw comparisons that this is like WoW where content is being created for the 1%.

...Looking forward to it. :)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Is player damage normalized in island pvp and other open world pvp?