Lost Ark Online

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The main guild is presently full until reset. You can go ahead and apply to the alt guild (search for RerolledFOH) and we'll invite / add to the chat.

See above - provided you're ok donating when you log in to the alt guild, any casual player is welcome there.
I found the RErolledFoH guild last night but when I look for it now, it doesn't come up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is player damage normalized in island pvp and other open world pvp?
Kinda, I believe they normalize gear, but not other bonuses, so unlike arena pvp where everything is equal, in island pvp you have runes, engravings, gems and such. Possibly more stuff too not sure, but a T3 well geared player will definitely fuck a T1 noob a lot more easily. Ironically I think a well geared T2 ends up being stronger than a shitty geared T3 who hasn't updated their shit because of it though.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Feel free to bump me out of the alt guild if needed, haven't managed to login for a couple days, and that isn't changing for a bit. Not quitting, just don't have the time lately.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lost Ark isn't the game you think it is, either. It's somewhere in the middle of the strawman that you're presenting as Booze's point of view and yours. As an example, you do understand that all upcoming content updates is geared at legion raids? While we've fundamentally gone back & forth in the negative in this thread, I do gather that you're a competent player and will likely enjoy this content. It is however quintessential MMO content: you are very much setting up pre-made groups that will meet multiple times a week to learn / progress at these encounters which will offer the best loot possible. Smilegate is very much on the record as saying that the metrics show players enjoy this the most and stick around the longest as a result. All of their future content updates have been towards these types of events (albeit toning down how 'hardcore' they are).

Here is an example of one of these raids:

You will not progress at these without a set group (typically a guild) meeting a few times to play together in voice chat. This is not an ARPG daily content but a full-fledged MMORPG raid encounter. The present content unfortunately leads your opinion to be the valid one in that, the game is presently a solo ARPG with MMO elements. This is frustrating and could have been avoided by a better release cadence (e.g. stopping at tier 2 and releasing Punika + North Vern together). This would have slowed the pace down considerably and provided players the ability to enjoy 8 man content and progress into more difficult raid content (thus favoring the MMO style raids that Booze is asking for). This was a failure by AGS/SG and has resulted in a 'wall' that should have been avoided. I'm 1400 and will continue to play and enjoy the game however to not acknowledge this is tilting in the same stupid direction that people comparing it to NW are.

There are more examples of this outside of Legion Raids, such as the 40v40 PVP content, the new GVG islands, and many more that SG is actively releasing which are geared at ensuring that it plays like an MMO where the people you play with matters rather than a solo ARPG experience where you occasionally group with people.
Right, but once you're done "progressing" and that content is on "farm", you're back to my original point of this being a game you play maybe 1-2 hours/day.

This feels like a "traditional" MMO because we have 3 years of content to work through. Once we're "caught up", the game is relatively shallow.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like I can agree with both sides of the arguement here.

As a player that only has time for 15 or so hours a week game time, I have not run in to many of the issues that those that play much more have.

I feel like if i was to be able to keep up, i would have to break out the credit card....but I am ok not being part of the bleeding edge anymore.

Having played now since launch, and having.zero experience on RU / KR.....Im not a fan of the t3 launch. There are a million and 1 systems it throws at you, and if you feel the need to min / max, then you need to have a few spreadsheets handy, 4 to 5 alts rolling, and follow an optimal guide..which would make this game feel like a chore.

I would have perferred a t1 launch, but that would have also cut a lot of whales out, as they would have maxed the content out by the end of the 3rd day probably.

The devs and publisher have to make money, so I can see that point of view as well.

On this forum you seem.to have a few groups of people. Those that dont hide the fact they have 500 hrs since launch and have the time to push their mains, you have those that have 3 toons in t3, 4 in t2, and 12 in t1 amd claim they only play like 2 hr a day and you just need to " git gud "!, those that try to keep up with the bleeding edge without swiping or having the free time, thus get burnt out, and the filthy casual such as myself.

At the end of the day, ill play it until I dont enjoy it anymore and then quit. There are a lot of things in this game that I am not a fan of, but I cant deny that it is still fun to play. At the pace I play, I am sure I will get 500+ hrs of entertainment out of it for the cost of a founders pack, so the time / dollar ratio for me is better than 99% of my other games. By the time I hit t3 or whatever, I am sure there will be lowered barriers of entry, while the bleeding edge rushes for t4 ot whatever.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Now that I got my supports in T3, I can see that Nacrasena is in fact not that fast. My bard has 4 kills so far and the best time is 7:30. I'm just gonna do rested bonuses on these supports, pubs are too fucking shit, when I play DPS it goes faster because I'm doing 35-40% dmg every time but can't do shit on support besides hope the ppl I get in with aren't completely retarded.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Now that I got my supports in T3, I can see that Nacrasena is in fact not that fast. My bard has 4 kills so far and the best time is 7:30. I'm just gonna do rested bonuses on these supports, pubs are too fucking shit, when I play DPS it goes faster because I'm doing 35-40% dmg every time but can't do shit on support besides hope the ppl I get in with aren't completely retarded.
Ya, theres a bunch of shit that AGS has already walked back on. But the HP buff is one they still havent touched and they need to walk that shit back, too. A "long" fight would be 3-4 minutes and that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

At the end of the day, ill play it until I dont enjoy it anymore and then quit. There are a lot of things in this game that I am not a fan of, but I cant deny that it is still fun to play. At the pace I play, I am sure I will get 500+ hrs of entertainment out of it for the cost of a founders pack, so the time / dollar ratio for me is better than 99% of my other games. By the time I hit t3 or whatever, I am sure there will be lowered barriers of entry, while the bleeding edge rushes for t4 ot whatever.
This is all anyone needs to worry about. There are a bunch of problems within the game that dont become evident until your only route of advancement is through them, namely the market. The market is fucked by bots and only after the dust settles will the market be in a position that a player that only gets the weekly gold rewards be able to afford anything reliably. Crafting anything out of materials you get is just an outright loss compared to selling the mats, for example. Anyone that tells you differently isnt accounting for the crafting cost, the market fee, or both.

(Though, you're putting a bit too much focus on some shit that isnt quite true. Regardless, just have fun.)

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man those New World numbers are so depressing. I loved that game so much when it launched.
Accidentally clicked New World instead of Lost Ark (next to each other in steam favorites). Toon was in the main city for the north area but it was pretty lonely. Only saw 6 or 7 people while there. Didn't stay long but it definitely has a lot less people playing even after the merges.

Will still go back eventually to check it out again. But it will be a few months. Hopefully they make enough changes to keep me around a while.

Right, but once you're done "progressing" and that content is on "farm", you're back to my original point of this being a game you play maybe 1-2 hours/day.

This feels like a "traditional" MMO because we have 3 years of content to work through. Once we're "caught up", the game is relatively shallow.

Racing past content to get to the bleeding edge will always cause problems for the players who do it. It just isn't possible for gaming companies to support hard core players with enough varied and interesting content to keep up with them. So MMO devs created dailies and gated content to give the hard cores something to do.

I get the desire to have the best gear and beat the best content. But when a player races to the end they are setting themselves up for grinding dailies or having nothing to do.

Last edited:

Cybsled

There was a flurry of server xfers about a month ago - some servers got abandoned, some got overcrowded.

The problem is most of that is driven by PVPers chasing the dragon and they start to lose interest fast

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So,

What is a way to get green engravings for ALTs? I have enough blue ones but I ran out of Green ones.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Everything I've seen says make a new character and play through East Luterra (1-2 hours apparently), or if you have knowledge transferred characters they can go back and do the quests - best lists I could find:

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah any char that's not a power pass can go back and do these. I do luterra and tortoyk and don't bother with the rest, you get enough green class books from luterra and you get all the blue books with luterra+tortoyk, the other parts just require a bunch of moving around for low amount of pointless green books. Luterra+Tortoyk take like 20mins or so.

You also get blue books from welcome challenge various rewards(like killing bosses and what not), some blue class books from there too, and you get 8 blue class and generic books from the racing event per week(also 4purple of each, make sure to grab these). Also some greens I think I don't remember. There is one time only books from T2 infinite chaos dungeon vendor forgot if it's class or generic, and some low amount from anguished isle, also one time only(has purple and even legendary books although the later need 1415 to open).

Past that, you can AH what you need, blue books are pretty low atm, and greens you get enough from transfer chars to feed others too. Oh and you get a lot of free ones from islands one time only if you can be bothered going after them. Some islands are worth it cause they're pack(iirc Shadowmoon Market is like 9 blue class books which is nice) but some have like 2 books and take 30mins to do so not very worth the time.

All my chars have at least blue class engravings because it's so cheap/easy to get atm, and I have several engravings at blue level too for the generic stuff(a bunch of which I don't even use but just future proofing).

elidib

Vyemm Raider
there is also repeatable book boxes from a lot of island turn ins, like azure island shards, deaths hold relics, goblin coins, etc.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
T3 fails can eat so many dicks. Went through all my extra mats just to fail everything. 15 total fails between legs and helm trying to get +15.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I find myself siding with Booze here in that there's just so many systems, and the way to improve them even somewhat efficiently is just so non-intuitive. On top of that, the guild shenanigans actively keeps people from joining up and being social, what a retarded system.

I'm not surprised that 50% didn't stick with it, but this is in NO WAY even close to the trajectory NW is going through. After NW's shit show dupe of the week patches, I gleefully check the pop charts and moaning on the official forums, it's more fun than either game at this point. It's a dead game walking, Lost Ark is not.

Do people here run in forced widescreen? I really liked how that looked, and helped my situational awareness for sure.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
After putting in hours I don't find the systems confusing or complex at all. The initial glut of shit thrown at you of course feels like a lot but it's pretty straight forward when you adjust for that. What I need to know is provided via codex or similar in game tutorials and the codex is actually amazing that I practically never spend time looking things up on a website unless it's some hidden quest BS =O.

I have literally years played in WoW/EQ/GW2 etc and I still need to look up shit regularly to figure out how to maximize my gameplay, install mods to clarify things I could never possibly figure out in game by what information is provided or if we want to compare it more to an ARPG good luck figuring out things in most of them without being spoon fed the information on builds, craftings etc.

I run forced widescreen as well. Mostly to get used to it for PVP =O

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Forced wide screen is perfect when you're doing content new to you, but you can go back to regular format after you're familiar with mechanics etc.

After putting in hours I don't find the systems confusing or complex at all. The initial glut of shit thrown at you of course feels like a lot but it's pretty straight forward when you adjust for that. What I need to know is provided via codex or similar in game tutorials and the codex is actually amazing that I practically never spend time looking things up on a website unless it's some hidden quest BS =O.
Game has probably one of the best in-game data bases I've ever seen compared to other games. If people actually used it, it would gut a huge portion of the traffic sites like Maxroll, get. Unfortunately, the game doesnt do a good job of relaying basic information. The designers have this bad habit of wanting to be fucking Urianger from FXIV and explain everything in detail over multiple paragraphs of text, when a simple one or two lines of explanation would suffice for most people. So instead, people spam the G key, even on shit that they "should" pay attention to. Then Im sure the dev's say, "well its all explained in tutorial quests, the player should have read them!"

There is a bunch of shit this game gets wrong. To the point that it may or may not make you quit. But anyone with some discipline and an independent nature should really enjoy the game. In a perfect world, those qualities shouldnt be needed. But well.. here we are.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Engravings confuse me. That's it for the most part so far though I think.

Thanks for letting me into the alt guild!

• 1Solidarity

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm having a great time but swarms of bots and no roadmap yet sound a lot like AGS didn't learn anything from New World.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like